1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Rockets Sleeper for Melo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikeyc913, Jan 19, 2011.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The Pacers are still rebuilding because they are stubbornly hanging onto Danny Granger. The only player that in the past few years made them respectable.

2. icewill36

icewill36 Member

morey isnt dumb enough to give up assets for a guy who has not agreed to sign an extension, is he ?

3. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Morey always sees what's out there, but in my opinion trading for Carmelo would be a very uncharacteristic move by our gm. If morey is going to Make a move I think it would be for younger players with good contract situations. He's not going to get rid of future draft picks because his ability to find good players in the draft is what makes him a good GM. I think we need to keep our young nucleus in tact and if were going to trade our expiring contracts, I would expect us to go out and get a player with size. Our offense has functioned well without a superstar scorer like Carmelo. We need a legit center who can defend the post and block shots. Without better interior defense, we can not contend for a title in this league. Does anyone remember game 7 of the lakers series? We pushed them to the brink but when it mattered most we got absolutely dominated in the paint . In a seven game series against the best teams(teams that have size) this weaknesses will be exploited. Carmelo is a great player but he won't solve our main problem.

4. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

I'm not in favor of blowing it up at all..i'm strongly against it, but the difference between the Rockets and teams like Sacramento and Indiana is their front office. Indiana's had Jim O'Brien as their head coach for 4 years... he's NOT a good coach. You give Adelman Indiana's squad, and the team is well above .500 in the East cuz that team's got talented players at every position.

Sacramento has gone through FIVE coaches in 5 years... how do expect to build a team to rebuild when you don't even have a coach that's gonna be around for more than a year?

We've got a GREAT head coach and a GREAT GM. Of course No coach or GM is going to be 100% right 100% of the time, but I would take this staff over any other. If Adelman doesnt wanna go the rebuilding route and decides to retire, I wouldnt mind Elston Turner taking over the coaching duties. He's been looking for a coaching job and I think it wouldnt be a bad direction to go, IF we do end up having to rebuild.

I really don't think Morey would make a move without getting a Center from another team. Morey knows our biggest weakness is a legit Center. Who knows... with rumors being out there about NJ being interested in KMART, why not make a 3 way deal with NJ sending US either Favors or Lopez+fillers for K-Mart and Scola?

Pipe dream.. yes.. but MLK also had a dream :)

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sure he is! :p

You saw it with Bosh
    You saw it with Stoudemire(?)(or did we? Not sure if the physical was the hold up AND that he wouldnt re-sign or if it was the physical that was the hold up OR him not re-signing)
    You are seeing it with Carmelo or so it appears.

Looks like he's willing to take such risks but who the heck knows?!

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Morey wanted extensions in place with both Bosh and Stoudemire.

If he's willing to trade for Melo without an extension, that would probably be a first. But at least in this situation, there's a new CBA hanging over Melo's head and putting pressure on him to sign an extension before the clock runs out on the current CBA.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Did he for Bosh? Marc Stein reported otherwise at this time last year. Not to say you're wrong as you probably got some secret inside info :p Again, you're probably right on with Bosh/Stoudemire but...

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-100108-09/weekend-dime-rockets-woo-bosh

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Damn you, hsf09, and your ability to pull anything in recorded human history out of archives in mere minutes! :p

Yeah, now I remember. No inside info by me. That could all be hogwash, though.

1 person likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

I dont know if this is the one you're talking about or why I'm even posting HW stuff but...

10. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

HAHA, I read this and considered posting it but being from "you know where", I decided against it.

IF, BIG IF, true then the Rox are in a nice position. Go for Melo or possibly go after Lopez or Favors and some high picks.

11. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Trading for him without an extension would seem incredibly foolish, unless they had some knowledge that he would re-sign later. No thanks.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2011/01/20/even-with-nets-out-of-picture-carmelo-still-expects-to-be-trade/

13. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

14. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

15. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I disagree. Being in the middle sucks, because the only way to get to the top is to have top level talent. You can either draft one, convince one to sign with you or trade for one. Being in the middle severly limits your chances of drafting one. It's hard to convince a guy to just sign in Houston, especially if we are in the middle. The best avenue for us is a trade.

All of those other rebuilding teams don't have competent management like we do. I fully trust our ability to scout talent and make the correct draft choices, especially since we keep hitting with lower picks. Our owner does seem serious about winning.

There is no point to keep collecting assets only to flip them for things that won't make us contenders. A bunch of role players and above average talent doesn't get it done in this league. Either use what you got to try to get a star player or blow it up and start over. That's how you win in this league. The Magic blew it up, got Howard and are now contending. The Bulls blew it up, got Rose, and are not contending. The Clippers got Blake and while they aren't contending, I would rather be them than us right now. The Thunder got Durant and are now contending. Rebuilding does work if your management drafts the right player. You don't trust Morey to do that?

1 person likes this.
  16. DreamRoxCoogFan

Are the Nuggets screwed by the Nets announcement? Does this mean that the Nuggets overplayed their hand and now will have to settle for less with another team?

It seemed like the Nets were just bidding against themselves at this point and Denver was getting too greedy. Now they and will have to settle for less than what they were originally planning on getting for Melo. Is that about right?

17. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

That would seem to be the jist of it from the outside, yes.

I still have a feeling it's a load of crap. They're just playing cat and mouse. Denver apparently gave them the "We'll go to the Knicks" crap. Now NJ is saying "Fine, we won't trade with you then."

Pretty soon Denver is probably going to go back to NJ and try to get the deal going again. Then we'll truly figure out how for real it was.

If NJ is for real, though... then yes, Denver definitely did screw themselves out of a pretty decent deal.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Magic got Howard not by intentionally blowing it up, but because Tracy McGrady decided to blow up their season.

The Bulls "bew it up" and got Tyson Chandler and Eddy Curry and Jamal Crawford. These guys blew. They then got Deng and Gordon and Hinrich, who were decent generally. But when they had a "medium bad" season (33 wins, not a full "tank job" by any means), they lucked out in the lotto and got Rose.

The Clippers got Blake but are they winning anything before losing him if you go by their history?

Thunder is probably the best support for a "full tanking" job. The Sonics were winning like 30 something games a year even with Allen and Lewis. So, they traded them and smartly used their cap room and assets to accumulate draft picks. Hit a good number of picks, too. But even they depened on luck: What if Portland went with Durant instead of Oden?

Speaking of Portland, they were the Thunder before the Thunder-- and before injuries tore them down. Now they are more or less a "middle" team. If you were them, do you build or do you "blow it up"?

19. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Sam Smith says:

The Rockets also have been mentioned as a rental team given they have an excess of draft picks from the trade with the Knicks last season and are desperate for some attention. They’d probably take a shot with nowhere to go with the weak roster they have, though Anthony has told friends he’d never under any circumstances resign with Houston. He wasn’t as definitive about the Mavericks.

http://blogs.bulls.com/2011/01/bulls-melo-here-we-go-again/

20. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member