1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Rockets Sleeper for Melo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikeyc913, Jan 19, 2011.

1. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Where are these picks coming from?

2. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I'll be disgusted if the Rockets trade anything of value for a player who will only play with the Rockets for two months. That would be the worst trade in Rocket history.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

That's true, what picks do we have?

4. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Woj is the most respected source, he usually isn't careless. Then again, Morey loves 3-way.

1 person likes this.
  5. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

Ideally he'll realize that he's playing for a team that's a contender (or at least, a contender with him), a team thats very young, and he'll realize that he could lose a lot of money if he doesnt resign before the season's over, and then he'll resign.

But if he doesnt and we give up some really big pieces, then that will be a terrible trade.

6. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

Morey would be the laughing stock of the NBA if he trades for Melo and he bolts in FA................

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

We can do this as sleepers, I think it is a undercover 'tank' move. It's a risk either Melo resigns...or he doesn't and we become a horrible team with all that we've lost...perfect to draft our next superstar.

8. clos4life

clos4life Member

Depends on what he gives up and what he gets back during a sign-and-trade in the off-season.

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Renting Carmelo: There's still value in trading Anthony without an extension

10. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Who wouldnt love the wonderful city of Houston? Good weather and comfortable place. If Carmelo lands here, I believe he will become addicted to this city, therefore could sign an extension. We can see why a lot of former stars stayed here. Also, Rockets has really good assets that Denver wants to look for.

11. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I'm not setting myself for disappointment again.

12. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

There's no way he'll sign an extension before the end of the season.

13. Hball

Hball Member

;) That to me looks like a win win situation.

14. seeingred

seeingred Member

he can get the same thing in nyc + play in a huge international market, play with a team that will actually make the playoffs this year, and play with another superstar.

wonder what he'll think of his championship chances in nyc if stoudemire gets injured again ? that team without him is weak.

renting melo is desperation. no way morey does this unless 1. we don't give up too much, 2. bring back something else from denver that we can actually keep into next season, and 3. s&t him to new york next season for picks and a young talent.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep also people are forgetting that getting Melo could be the card we need to attract a CP3 here. If Morey tells Melo he can get CP3 here I doubt Melo would go elsewhere.

Need a superstar to get another.

I think in the end it is worth the risk. This team as built is going nowhere that much is true. It's not like Melo is a bad contract that will be hard to trade later.

16. everyday eddie

17. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

i think morey knows that if he gets melo as a rental, he will be sure to do the extend and trade by draft day. Therefore, sending him to Knicks will yield us something good in return by 3 way trade. Melo would be stupid to not sign the extension.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I dont get these reports. Of course we are. The key is houston's willingness to rent him, which means 1) denver gets what they want, assuming it's houston's offer and 2)melo eventually gets wha the wants too, but months later. It may be the best scenario for both and because of that the most realistic. However, there's more desperation (believe it or not) in NY and Jersey, so i think Denver thinks they can squeeze more from them and that's why they're dealing with them primarily.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

When is the deadline for him to sign an extension? Hard to believe Morey would do it. Easy to believe he says he'll do it. And may actually even do it... But sill hard to believe.

20. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Worse case scenario, if he bolts on us, we can slide under the cap. DM will have all the angles covered. He won't be played like Denver/Melo were doing to NJ.