1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WOJ] Rockets Pursuing Deals with Trade Exception

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CJLarson, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Does anyone know when the TPE expires?

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Since Garcia has actually been used this year as a versatile backup who can play 3 positions and has been incredible on the defensive end, and because Daniels hit a couple 3's LAST YEAR, and currently can't break the rotation?

Daniels has guaranteed $ for next year so more than likely if he's included in this situation going out its probably going to be in the trade, or in a separate deal.

If you pay attention to the Sixers, look at the difference Bob Covington has had in giving them SOMEONE that can shoot. I wouldn't be shocked if Hinkie would love to have Daniels in a separate deal where they move Daniels for essentially nothing.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

There was a lot of incentive to move Asik. He was pissed off, and wasn't willing to play at all. He only woke up during the playoffs, and when Dwight was injured.

Moving Terry and Papa is not in our interest, unless we get a really good player in return. Moving Daniels plus 2nd rounders for Bass is unlikely to work IMO, but that would be very good for us.

4. dobro1229

It would be a year from the Lin trade right? So next July. Meaning the Rockets could actually use it in free agency in a S&T as BimaThug has previously pointed out.

So maybe it is actually more exploratory, and they wont necessarily have a hard deadline if the deals coming in suck by Dec 19th internally because they obviously will still have alot of different uses for it at-

-Feb trade deadline
    -draft day deals
    -start of FA for S&T

I'd say its far from a given that they use it for sure by Dec 19th.

5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I won't lose any sleep over Covington scoring 20 pts in couple games, for the 76ers.

We all know what happened to Mr. Anderson.

6. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Garcia has been decent at best defensively far from incredible...and don't even get me started on his 3pt shooting. Daniels gets garbage time and id like to see him get better looks when playing with Harden/Howard...not starting just in different situations during the games.

In the series vs Portland he was in with better players and got cleaner looks.

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't think so. I'm no fan of Dorsey and especially Garcia, but both are better options off the bench than Daniels right now. Garcia plays decent D and Dorsey's actually put in a few good minutes for the Rockets over the past week or so. Daniels is useless if his shot isn't falling and so far this year(which is 25% over already), it ain't. Canaan and even Johnson(and obviously Terry) take up all the minutes available to him.

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't understand your disagreement on what I said. That the Rockets could afford to wait more on Asik than now is one thing, but I'm talking about the Craigslist-style posting through the media by an NBA team that is an almost identical situation here. The Rockets (presumably) sent announcements through the media that they wanted to deal Asik by the 19th (or 20th, as it was later revealed) so they could consider combining the players received in a deal by the trade deadline.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/hawks-...quire-rockets-center-omer-asik-053218781.html

This is the same. It's best for the Rockets to get a deal done by this date so they can combine the player at deadline time, but they don't have to use the trade exception right now, if they don't want to.

9. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

I guess we agree to disagree. I don't think Daniels has gotten a fair shot of cracking the rotation

10. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Also remember this : Last year Morey traded away / cut Brooks and get JoHam, we all know how that worked out and down the road we actually missed Brooks in some situation.

The Rockets are playing great now, I serious doubt he will get anyone to play major minutes to break up the chemistry at this point. Getting a 4 to cut DMo's minutes is not really worth it, plus the fact that he will be getting into his 4th next year, getting a backup C is another story, Black is a totally undrafted rookie, the hurt feeling here will be less.

11. dobro1229

Ok. Incredible is pushing it, but he's at least been very effective on that end. I wouldn't lose sleep if they cut or moved Garcia, but I'm just saying. Don't be shocked if they'd move Daniels over Garcia.

12. Textroets

Textroets Member

He's a very good defender, he has attitude, he's a team player and he runs the floor well. I don't get why 99% of people on here are obsessed with "shooters". There are other ways to contribute on the basketball court.

13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I thought the Celtics were in town last month?:grin:

14. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

A guy like Cory Brewer just makes a ton of sense. Houston doesn't really have a good big backup to Harden right now, and are forced to go with two points guards (which works against some teams, but not others), or the corpse of Garcia. Brewer can defend, get up and down the court and shoot well enough to work in almost any lineup without stepping on someone's toes. He can also backup the SF spot, which is important because...

this frees us up to trade K-Pap. I love him, and this would hurt, but K-Pap is a) still a rookie who will make rookie mistakes and b) has a salary big enough to combine with Terry to trade for an even bigger fish. Trading Terry would also hurt, but if you combine his salary, with K-Pap, that's $10M +. Combine that with Capela and the NOLA pick and you almost have enough to acquire one more star. I'm guessing it'd either have to be a star PF (and we'd also lose either D-Mo or Jones) or a star PG (and Beverley would become backup again).

Anyway, that's my two cents.

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

If the decision is made to use the TPE right now, why not also consider Derrick Williams?

Predictably, he's struggled to carve himself a spot in Sacramento's rotation and $6.3M is a lot to pay for a benchwarmer.

The upside for us would be two-fold. For starters, his $6.3M expiring contract combined with Terry's deal put us well within striking distance of Rondo, Horford and other targets. Plus, at 23, there's still a little bit of upside there. He also happens to play the 3/4 and could be a decent Band-Aid until K-Pap returns.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

I'd try to get Enes Kanter but only for TPE and nothing else that's significant.

Kanter's problem on the Jazz is his because of his role with Favors and Gobert there. Have Kanter on the perimeter taking jump shots of course he'll look dreadful.

Trade for him, then showcase him playing as an under the basket C. Big men are valuable commodities this season.

17. dobro1229

Ooh... crap. What have you done?.

IB4 BasketballHollic rewrites his Derrick Williams dissertation paper in response to this.

1 person likes this.
  18. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

We'll see. Just don't think we should give up on Daniels yet.

Derrick Williams sucks.

19. Textroets

Textroets Member

YES. This. Exactly what I've been trying to tell other Rocket fans and a few others on this forum. Posters on CF are sooo obsessed with shooters that they don't think Brewer is good for this team...

20. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

I don't think he'll get cut, but I do think he'll get moved sooner than the others. He hasn't cracked the rotation, plays poor defense, and hasn't been consistent with his shot this year.

I had high hopes for him.