1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WOJ] Rockets Pursuing Deals with Trade Exception

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CJLarson, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wouldn't surprise me, either. Dorsey has recently shown a pulse. Daniels? Seems to have lost his shot. If he can't get on the court with the injuries we've had, he's making someone unhappy.

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, this is very similar. Just my opinion, but this smacks of the Rockets announcing to the league, anonymously through the media, that they have to get a deal done by such-and-such date and get your best offers in if you're interested! It seems like they're trying to shake a team loose, just like they did last year (as you point out) with Omer Asik and the faux deadline.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Who said he was?

Is D-Mo going to play 96 minutes a game between PF and C?

4. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

He is OK to decent.

But no, I will not spend NOP's pick on him, not really worth it.

5. Textroets

Textroets Member

Still. Bass is 100% a better player than D Mo. Anyone who says otherwise is a complete homer.

6. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Are you expecting both TJ and Dwight will be out for the season?

7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

To the Pistons no, to the Suns, I'd say yes. Monroe is a great fit on the team and fits a need at a position they are lacking.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Interesting.

Was it Wojo that broke the Asik story last year?

9. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

For the last 3 weeks, Dmo is a better player.

For the last 3 seasons, Bass maybe better.

But one is making 1 mil plus, one is about 8-9 times more.

One is going down, one is moving up.

I will be shock if Morey will get Bass to cut Dmo's playing time.

10. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Dalembert could be had for free. Foye + Hickson. Calderon, if they're interested in someone to run the second unit. Then there's Brewer and Martim, but Morey/McHale has probably already burned the last bridge with the latter.

11. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know.... Jones was day to day at first and it has been months.

Howard's timetable keeps being pushed back further.

This is all assuming that none of the existing bigs would be dealt AND good health.

Even then, having someone like Bass allows the Rockets to slide D-Mo to center more often with Bass at the 4..... Bass is also a better shooter than D-Mo, Howard or Jones.. another possible match up issue.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Bass is an expiring contract.

Who said anything about cutting D-Mo's playing time?

13. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I hope they aren't out all season, but Jones may very well be. Plus, I would rather have Bass than Black or Dorsey for my 4th big behind Howard, Dmo and Jones.

14. dragician

dragician Member

Welcome to Houston, Rajon.

15. rockets13champs

wouldnt mind getting jeff green or milsap or maybe horford

16. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

You are not signing a player to 10 days contract.

If you are paying 8 mils plus for a player, you better make sure you play him 20 minutes for you night in and night out.

Unless you will expect TJ be out for the season, you don't spend your money on player like Bass.

17. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

except that this year there is more reason for a team to bite.

1. Get's more salary off their hands as opposed to paying out more for asik later
    2. the TE it created going back would have a trigger in it for this time next year (which could prove very valuable) - think the tpe is 12 mos, but maybe wrong here
    3. the rockets need a contract they feel they can trade and i'm betting there pretty hesitant to move terry's clutch shooting or papa's youth/defense and upside. As such, I could see the rockets taking back a player that's never in their plans.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I think the difference is that just keeping Asik and looking to deal him in the offseason (or at the deadline) was preferable to just dealing him for a return that they didn't like.

In this case, the Trade Exception just isn't as useful as even a random player on a $8.4M or so expiring contract, even just for the sake of salary aggregation rules.

I would not have taken, for example, just an expiring contract for Asik, but I would definitely take it (even if the player can't play at all) for the trade exception.

19. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Beverley, Canaan, Harden, Terry, Johnson...right now we have too many players who can play point guard. This has to be for a big man or wing

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Jones has been out about 5 weeks. We were told he'd be out most of December weeks ago, so it's not like there's been some setback. He's probably gonna wind up missing 1/3 or even 1/2 the season, but I'd be stunned if he was lost for the year.

As for Dwight, someone(I think Feigen) tweeted that he hoped to play this Saturday, so he's on the verge of returning(I hope).