1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Rockets may be offering the farm trying to create space

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jun 26, 2019.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I'm absolutely fine with all of this if it lands us Jimmy Butler.

Clutchfans always gets its panties up in a bunch because some so-called "heart," "hustle," or "glue-guy" is involved in a potential blockbuster trade.

I remember when Beverly was traded in the Paul deal, it was the same damn reaction as right now, people screaming about all the intangibles, hustles, depth, etc. Then, Morey plucked Tucker, Moute, etc out of nowhere and here we are having the same damn discussion again.

Getting a 3rd superstar is far more valuable in this league than anything. I have full faith in Morey to find quality replacements for Gordon, Tucker, and Capela when time comes.

Give me Butler and the rest will sort itself out.

2. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Remember when we sold the farm for CP3. Some of them players would have been useful here....

never underestimate depth

Reason Toronto won is they had ONE superstar, one borderline all star and a bunch of great role players

FrontRunner likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

not even close to comparable. he was replaced with an elite talent at the same exact position of need. butler is no way replaces capela, eg, tucker together.

i don't miss bev at all. sure he was a fan fav but he had a low ceiling. we saw for years what that ceiling was.

people talk about worrying and filling out the rest of the roster later. a year ago, the rockets lost ariza and moute. wing players that were huge in the best rockets run since the ship days. everyone tried to say they were so easily replaceable, yet to this day, the rockets still don't have a wing on the roster that replaced them

clutchdabear and HP3 like this.
  4. Rocketsfan3422

People panicking about being hard capped... Don't we have mle, and vet mins..?. Players will line up to play with 3 stars

5. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

TBH, I really wouldn't want to lose PJ (heart of team) but he is getting older and his value couldn't be any higher. I am on board with this, if necessary, to gain a pick for Butler.

In dealing Capela, it better be because we have a deal with Butler. I can't see us trading him without gaining a star in the end because of Capela upside.

In dealing EG, Butler is the superior player. I would like to keep him but we have to give it a shot.

All in all, I don't think we deal one of these UNLESS we know Butler or a star of equal rank is coming back.

Got to love Morey.

topfive likes this.
  6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Thats exactly what we had but a sorry basketball offense. Morey always wanted 3 stars, always wanted a stretch 4, now he can shut up about it.

7. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Yea in LA

8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Remember when we attached draft picks to Jeremy Lin so we could sign Chris Bosh?

Seems like Starboy is at it again.

9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

10. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

3 bench players (one of them being sam decker) and a starter who played the same position vs 3 starters

11. xaos

xaos Member

Yeah, and we won the most games in franchise history and took the champs to 7. Such a bad trade for us.

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I was impressed how Toronto and it’s one star beat that fully healthy Warriors team.

everyday eddie and juanm34 like this.
  14. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

A) if philly is going to be motivated into doing a S&T, the rockets have to show proof they can create max space.

B) I doubt he moves all 3. Just needs to show he can move them to force a S&T

luckyman76, jordnnnn and sammy like this.
  15. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Morey reeks of desperation. He’s kind of turned himself into a joke. First the Paul contract, then the horrendous offseason, now this “pursuit” of jimmy butler. Oh, and the embarrassing “we are the best losers against gs” tweets. That’s some really questionable stuff.

CK Johnson likes this.
  16. JW86

JW86 Member

They said Tucker was untouchable at some point...as much as I love the guy, if we get Butler and an athletic / tall PF then that’s fine. But not just a Faried / Hartenstein or whatever the ****. We are already small and soft on the whole with Capela good as gone in a Butler scenario, so only Tucker is holding that down.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I Hope so, but 34 is damn old in the NBA for a thicc dude like Tuck. A part of me worries he will come in shot next season, or that he will have an injury.

18. liveguy

liveguy Member

Why Tucker, tho? FOH!!!

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27054891/rockets-eyeing-sign-trade-butler

Sources tell ESPN that the Rockets are offering the three players individually to teams with cap space to absorb salary, trying to acquire the best available first-round draft pick for any of those three, and hoping to redirect the pick to the 76ers in pursuit of a Butler sign-and-trade.

In a potential trade with Houston, the 76ers could turn Butler into a large trade exception and redirect the Rockets' assets to additional teams.

If the Sixers were to lose Butler in free agency -- and were in position to keep Harris and Redick -- it is possible they could simply want the payroll flexibility and dismiss the potential idea of a sign-and-trade scenario for Butler.

Vivi likes this.
  20. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I was speaking in general terms about the Chris Paul trade and the fan reaction on this board.

Everyone had their favorite guy whether Beverly, Montrezl, or Lou. The point is this board was pissed off and we had separate threads for each player where fans were condemning Morey for giving up the farm, only to shut up after we won 65 games with Paul and almost beat the Warriors.

So yeah I'm totally behind what Morey is trying to do here. Our championship windows looks very tight and fortune only favors the bold.

#140 ghettocheeze, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    RocketsMAN! likes this.