1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Rockets "frontrunners" for Dwight Howard, Lakers "desperate" to keep him

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 29, 2013.

1. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I honestly don't get the Lakers obsession with D'Antoni, specially considering he's only had success(no championships) with high paced offenses ... If I was the Lakers front office I'd fire him regardless of Dwight Howard. Specially with coaches like George Karl and Lionel Hollins out there for the taking...

2. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Good point about T-Rob. I think if we get Dwight, we should move Asik for some cap space/TPE and pick, and keep T-Rob.

Thomas wasn't all that bad. He had very good defensive instincts for a rookie, though he did go after everything little too much. A high motor and great athleticism would be appreciated. Foul trouble will definitely be the downside but for 20-25mpg it's something we would want in our rotation, particularly when dwight is out. I think it was the game against Dallas, he closed the game as our C, and he was doing his thing. Chasing boards, altering shots, etc.

It's not that he's bad, for the reason he's been traded, he's just been in a series of unfortunate circumstances. What did he do in Sacramento to be consituted as bad? Is he a franchise player #5 pick type prospect? No.

But I think he can be a very good defensive player.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He says front-runner. Doesn't mean it is done. We could be one unfortunate Clyde Drexler comment away from losing DH to another team.

1 person likes this.
  4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

What does that really change, though?

Kobe's Achilles is still torn. Gasol is still likely gone. No one of any value besides the Miami trio and Carmelo (all either old or likely staying put) is on the market next summer. If it's about basketball, as Dwight and his people have consistently said, there are much bigger problems in LA besides D'Antoni. It seems a lot more likely that the D'Antoni demand is a way to shift blame than a serious request.

5. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

as long as he doesnt go to Dallas

6. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

You must have missed the marketing part. He's going nowhere.

7. Gay4Battier

Gay4Battier Member

do we really need a new thread

my god

8. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

That's a positive in Dwight's eyes. If Kobe says things, like has lately, that he could play 3-4 more years, that's a negative in Dwight's eyes.

Dwight does not like Kobe. Prior to being a Laker, in the trade deadline of 2012, I remember Kobe saying Dwight could be something like his Chandler if he were to come there. I'm the O, he's the D.

I know Dwight doesn't like to be delegated like that, which star player likes to hear that?

9. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Being front runner doesn't mean it's done, but it feels a whole lot better than being a long shot.

11. thekad

thekad Member

I think you overestimate Dwight's savvy.

Lakers have smartly kept open the option of bringing in Phil with the hiring of Madsen and Rambis who Phil probably ok'd himself. While I don't believe the Lakers think hiring Phil would be a sure way to keep Dwight, I'm fairly confident they've kept it up their sleeve just in case.

12. rocketblood713

why this is Thread City ! :grin:

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The Lakers with an injured Kobe or with no Kobe at all are not a championship contender. Not close. If it's about basketball, which Dwight and his people have insisted for months, it doesn't help LA's case.

14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

George Karl is a beast. Any team that gets him will instantly be better. I'm hoping the Kings ink him.

15. Star

Star Member

16. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

At this point other teams are going to have to convince him NOT to sign with Houston.

Not worried about Dallas at all, they offer the same thing the Lakers do. Come play with aging superstars and then we'll rebuild around you. He can be the man in L.A so why would he leave there to do that in Dallas? Because of the coach? Lakers will fire MDA

Rockets are clear frontrunners here. So something has to change for the other teams to get Dwight. Lakers have to fire MDA and Dallas likely has to trade for Rondo or clear enough space to sign someone WITH Dwight like Ellis or something.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Even if DH dislikes Kobe, Kobe missing games next season is still not a positive. The Lakers don't get $30M to spend on a new guy that Dwight loves just because Kobe is injured. Instead, they are likely to get Jodie Meeks and Andrew Goudelock at the 2.

2013-14 will be a wasted season for Dwight if he signs with the Lakers, with no guarantee that 2014-15 will bring him a decent supporting cast.

19. QazQay

QazQay Member

20. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

But the supporting cast is not there I think in order for Howard to sign up with Fakers!