1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WOJ: Rockets among suitors for Chris Paul

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 14, 2017.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Lot of cap space this summer, so in theory, it's possible -- though there are also going to be a lot of teams hoping to dump salaries. But the other part of it, of course, is being cut-throat enough to move Parker to a bad team in the first place.

Either way, IMO, that is the news to watch. Gasol taking a bit of a paycut helps, in the sense that every little bit does, but it doesn't appreciably change their outlook if they intend on re-signing him. (Now, if Gasol were somehow willing to be renounced and re-sign for the Room Exception, that would change things, but I'm assuming this is a slight decrease in annual pay for sake of longevity.)

The thing to watch with the Spurs is Tony Parker. If rumors start up with him, that's when things get serious.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This isn't an insult @The Cat so don't take it that way please...

I'm amazed at how hope always springs eternal with you man. Every year, every summer specifically, you can always see a light at the end of the tunnel where the Rockets come out smelling like roses. How do you not get defeated lol?

ElPigto likes this.
  3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Well...to be fair...it's pretty refreshing to see when 90% of the posts in the offseason are reactionary doomsday posts. It's nice to see posts referring to the Rockets as, in fact, not doomed. A nice change of pace from the yearly 35 "Trade Harden!" threads. There's at least avenues for the Rockets to substantially improve, and I enjoy at least seeing them articulated.

4. justtxyank

It is refreshing, and I listen to his daily podcast. Like I said, it wasn't meant as an insult more of a statement of wonder.

BigMaloe, J Sizzle and Vivi like this.
  5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Ha. It's more the opposite — because luring top FAs (or targets via trade) is so hard, my expectations are low. I do have high expectations when it comes to the mechanisms of working the salary cap, because Daryl is great at his job. But in terms of attracting or trading for top talent, you can do everything right and the odds are still against you in any one pursuit, because only one team can "win." That's what keeps me level-headed, I guess.

When I get defeated and/or irrational is when I have high expectations and get let down. Such as, say, the end and aftermath of Game 5. :)

Deuce, BigMaloe, joshuaao and 4 others like this.
  6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. I wish I could delete 75% of the doomsday guys on here.

Williamson and BigMaloe like this.
  7. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Hopefully Chris Paul went on vacation to some remote part of the world and didn't watch Game 6 of Spurs vs Rockets series without Kwahi Leonard playing and the apathetic half hearted effort the Rockets best player put forward LOL. Can guarantee you Paul wants a ring and his best shot is with Greg Popovich, Leonard and Aldridge IMO.

amaru and pippendagimp like this.
  8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, i'm also a fan of Ben's work. And i also agree with @J Sizzle while i see us a bit behind the Spurs as a top destination, i'm still fairly positive for the future cause i don't see better enviroments than us outside of San Antonio and Boston, and there're a lot of good players on the move in the next 12/24 months.

9. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Well DeAndre's getting shopped for lottery picks. That doesn't seem like a move that a team planning to compete for a championship would make...

BigMaloe and DonKnock like this.
  10. basketballholic

Parker can be stretched. And I'm fairly certain Spurs can move him to the Kings for a future first.

#490 basketballholic, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  11. justtxyank

Right. Contracts aren't going to be a problem. Every year fans think they can rule out a powerhouse team because of salary cap issues and every year those teams solve the issues without issue.

If Chris Paul wants to be in San Antonio, Pop will yawn, stretch his arms, press a button and everything will fall into place.

Vivi and basketballholic like this.
  12. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

Spurs can not move parker for a future first no matter how stupid that organizations is

13. basketballholic

You read that wrong. Spurs send 18 first with Parker.

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Normally I'd say that's absurd and has zero chance of happening but the Kings factor make it immensely likely to happen.

justtxyank likes this.
  15. amaru

amaru Member

It's between the Spurs and the Clips for a Paul. Other teams have no real shot

16. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Boom

17. thekad

thekad Member

Stephen A Smith is "reporting" that the Knicks plan to buy out Carmelo. Dare to dream: trade for George, S&T for CP3, sign Melo.

CP3
    Harden
    George
    Melo
    Capela
    Lou/Nene/Wiltjer

joshuaao likes this.
  18. rockets13champs

Their down year was when they lost in 7 games to clippers

19. finsraider

finsraider Member

Err....that's some kind of imaginary cap you're working with there.

20. justtxyank

The report is already out that he intends to sign with the Clippers. If that happens the Paul idea is over.

The Clippers are working to put together a specific team that has Lebron, Paul and Melo together.