1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Rafael Stone & Eli Witus sign extensions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Apr 16, 2024.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

“…The combination of drafting and developing franchise’s young talent, free agents acquisitions, Coach Ime Udoka’s impact and ultimately the league’s largest jump from 22 to 41 victories were significant factors in ownership’s reasoning on extending the front office.”

2. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hmmmmm okay!!! We have stability!!!

3. Nook

Nook Member

Extending Witus is really smart - they need to do what it takes to keep him happy.

I am still hoping they bring in a President of Basketball Operations to run the front office.

4. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Hell yes, if it's working and trending in the right direction keep it going. We have a foundation and our future is bright, great to hear.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We're gonna find out real soon if Stone is actually cut out for this job.

All in all given the hindrances he inherited from Tilman he's been..OK, even good at times, but the big boy choices are looming.

6. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

“It became clear that the Rockets had executed our plan to draft and develop young potential cornerstones for the franchise, stabilized the team with veterans that translated to winning games and found our coach for the present and future,” Fertitta said. “We wanted to show them as well as the public we’re excited with the direction the Rockets were going. We said this was phase two.

“A lot of teams don’t have a real plan. The Rockets had a real plan. We drafted well in the three years. Just look at the six young guys we have. All have potential to be All-Stars. We said year four was going to be lift-off. That’s what it was. Any other year, we would have been in the play-in. But the West is extremely strong.

“Just because we won 41 games this year, we would have to be better next year to make the playoffs.”

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...-rafael-stone-contract-extension-19406150.php

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And still there is this precaution to reveal it now after months have passed since the signings.....just to see how they would fare and they would wait it out.

9. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

Who do you foresee being good in that role? A Jeff Van Gundy type that is an experienced former coach who you hope can be our Pat Riley? Or poaching from another front office?

don grahamleone likes this.
  10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This is my thinking too. I’m probably more critical of Stone than others here for sure but I’m not against keeping him. I just think we need that stable and respected voice at the top that has the credibility, relationships, and trust across the NBA that Stone clearly does not have. A Rudy T or JVG would NOT be using Shams and Woj to play other GM’s for fools. They’d have the relationships with Danny Ainge, etc. to pick up the damn phone and not treat him like an idiot.

That being said Stone does have skills and processes that are beneficial and has done good things.

It signals from ownership that they want to continue the process and aren’t going to take unnecessary risks which is good, but there’s also a bit of a blind spot to Stone’s weaknesses im afraid.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tilly does not have the NBA clout or credits to outright find personnel like Jerry West.......

so he has to dig deeper and wait until someone is targeting Houston for redemption or whatever reasons.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good they earned it.

DD

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

At least the fears of Clutchfans that the name Patrick Fertitta will echo through the GM chambers shall now be put to rest at last.

Ramo$e likes this.
  14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I’m really disappointed in the Stone extension. To me he’s demonstrated poor judgment on many occasions for several years now. I think the turnaround is all Ime. Ime saved Stone’s job.

but as long as Stone does what Ime wants I guess I can live with it. Unfortunate that we’ve got several more years of listening to him talk.

would love to add a poll to this thread.

15. dobro1229

I dunno, I think JVG is a perfect type of character to bring in to be a voice of reason, and credibility around the league. Maybe Jerry West is unattainable but there are plenty other folks around that could do just as good of a job.

Regardless it's too late for that now obviously, and Tillman honestly probably doesn't want to pay for it more than anything.

But what Tillman might not understand is that there are some HUGE decisions coming up in regards to extensions, and potential trades involving young prospects that might or might not be superstars. Up until now, with the exception of the Harden trade, we are just grading deals where it's Stone trying to hustle the league on Oladipo, Eric Gordon (3x's), JeSean Tate.

Stone, really has no experience in a situation where he has to handle a young all-star talent asking for the Max or a trade to the Lakers while threatening to go public with a trade request, etc. etc. Sh$t's about to get real for Stone, and he might be wishing in 12 months that he had a JVG type of figurehead to hide behind. If Stone screws up in the next 18 months, the guy might never be sniff a top front office job again.

kubli9 likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Jeff is involved with the Celtics in an advisory role, not sure if that is short term or a multi year role, he started that not long ago.

Maybe he leaves once they win it all, one shall see.

A reason why their Defense might be much improved.

BigShasta likes this.
  17. dobro1229

I'm referring in past tense when there were situations happening that put Stone's role into question. I brought up JVG, and I know others floated Rudy T etc. Someone like that would be sort of the profile I'd be looking to bring on a "President of BBall Operations" type of role where Stone stays on as the GM to do the day to day, but the President has an advisory role, expectations to manage the top level relationships (IE, Danny Ainge needs a call back regarding a trade proposal, etc.) and veto ability.

But could be a number of seasoned NBA personalities out there. Would be best if it was someone with Houston ties of course, but not necessary. I don't think it'll happen for the next 18 months so it's probably not worth debating too much, but I really thought it needed to happen last Summer. Obviously Tillman doesn't agree with me so not really worth spending much more time on. Just keep an eye out for how Stone deals with the major challenges coming his way.

daywalker02 likes this.
  18. MystikArkitect

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

With Stone getting an extension, perhaps that gives him the job security to admit his mistake with Jalen Green and move the team forward.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  20. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

You win 20 more games than the previous season, have no bad contracts, a bunch of blue chip prospects, and and beat the Vegas line by 10 wins… you get an extension.

Whoever thinks they would bring in a POBO over Stone’s head at this point is way off. Stone is on his second GM contract as the head decisionmaker of an NBA team, and is probably top 3 in EOY voting… no way he takes what would effectively be a demotion.

Just professionally things don’t work that way. That’s what you do to a Troy Weaver.

Maybe a figurehead advisor type, but not a boss for Stone.