1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Woj: McHale "clearly separated himself" according to "multiple league sources"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, May 21, 2011.

1. xlr817

xlr817 Member

I hope McHale can get the job done & if Morey likes him, then I'm good with the hiring! I really don't care for Frank or Casey! McHale could bring leadership & development to a young team, & maybe can lure some top free agent(s)! Oh well, we shall see!:cool:

2. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

We hired him to play spot minutes at center.

3. Half Nelson

Half Nelson Member

Morey gets my approval if he signs McHale. Very intriguing choice. He's gonna be a total wild card. Hopefully Jordan Hill, Hasheem Thabeet, and Patrick Patterson improve leaps and bounds under his tutelage.

4. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I am intrigued by Finch and if McHale is a place holder for him, good. A coaching staff that is in tune with the front office is going to be pretty important since we are in full rebuilding mode. Long term, the Rockets would have been better off using this past season as a developmental year once Yao went down. Brad Miller should have never seen more than spot duty.

5. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

Might be the next Rudy T.

NOW we just need to get him his Olajuwon ;)

Moe

6. typhooonn

typhooonn Member

he's not

7. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

The last time he coached for some games, I liked how Kevin Love started showing some of his potential after he took over. Maybe he'll start developing some of our guys.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Excellent post, and probably sums up the positives of this hiring. Personally I'd rather have Casey then Finch/Mchale, but as long as its not woodson or mike brown I'm good.

9. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

Thats what I was thinking. Rudy T was a players coach.
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/t28rZn6l33s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Thank you so much for this. it has given me some relief if we go with McHale. I am now somewhat more comfortable, although trading out a HOF coach for a guy with the GM track record of McHale is a leap of faith.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The spin we're going to hear from Morey and Less if the hire is McHale will have us all dizzy, searching for a bucket. At least a guy like Casey has a certain logic, if Adelman had to be tossed after managing the highest winning percentage in Rockets history amidst total chaos with the roster. That was a stunning achievement. His reward? Adios, dude, and enjoy everyone babbling about how your 70 years old, but don't tell your wife, who's under the impression that you just turned 65. Also, don't forget that having turned 65 means your life is damned near over and you may as well check into Sun City and hang it up. Play golf much? Do you suck at it, too? Join the club.

1 person likes this.
  12. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Well said. Agree on last years season, I would have liked to have seen the youngsters get more clock, but Adelman is a veteran coach who was hired to win. It would have been helpfull to get a look at Thabeet and T-Will on the floor so Morey could have a better opportunity to evaluate them.

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'm sorry, but I tire of seeing this Thabeet and T-Will stuff. Everyone agrees Thabeet is years away from belonging on an NBA floor, period. And T-Will is basically insane. The laughter out of New Jersey when Morey traded for T-Will was audible from my open window on the west coast.

You can develop young guys (like we have with Bud, Lowry and Patterson, to name only three -- that's a LOT of young guys already), but you can't really put a sub-NBA product on the floor and get shellacked by 40 points a night just to 'evaluate' a stiff like Thabeet.

This board amazes me sometimes. We are replacing Adelman with McHale? I'm speechless. McHale has an ego too, so I don't quite understand how he would be on board with the "develop the genius" plan (Finch) that some of you are advocating. He wouldn't see himself as keeping a chair warm.

1 person likes this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well said! This ought to be a sticky.

15. DiamondDobb

DiamondDobb Member

Hell, if we hire McHale then fine, good luck to him, I just hope he imparts a bit of his skill as a player to our bigs.

16. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Casey's the guy I preferred, but I'll welcome and support McHale. I wish all of us the best possible outcome.

If we do get him, I hope Morey is helping build the rest of the staff with developmental types.

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

OK, me too. Prefer Casey, that is.

As for 'development types', weren't RA's Turner/Sikma excellent with that? What is Rox direction: developing young or buying established?
    Is next year's draft the one for which the pings are being ponged?

18. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

but thats still better than McHale, Kevin doesnt have any particular style, it seems like just tries to run plays and hope they work.. McHale doesnt have a philosophy, if he does then its a good kept secret, the only positive he has is he is a very likeable guy and have good knowledge but you need a helluva lot more than that to be a great coach, and Mike Brown/Woodson are light years ahead of him in that regard

19. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I am not excited about McHale or Brown, but Brown doesn't even try to run plays. Brown is a bystander, while an assistant or Lebron comes up with the plays. His philosophy is give it somebody else, and found out what happens later.

That's John Kuester, the horrible coach of the Pistons. The only benefit of getting Brown, this time around, is that Kuester won't be available.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]pg
    [​IMG]

#119 BetterThanEver, May 22, 2011
    Last edited: May 22, 2011
  20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Maybe worth it's own thread is this gem.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z1bZGZkcryY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What's great about this video, for the youngsters, is to get a glimpse of what we had with Hakeem: a relentless, both-ends dominator who elevated his game with the stakes. Just absolutely incredible, and he was very young in this video. What you see of McHale is a crafty, high-skills player who played fast and loose with his elbows.

Look, I'll admit I have a McHale problem that dates back to the 1980's, just a competitive one. I hated those Celtic teams. But whatever, if we're tanking for two years, I guess then fine. Might as well pin 50 losses per year on K-Mac (yes, I called him K-Mac just now. :grin:)