1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: McHale "clearly separated himself" according to "multiple league sources"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, May 21, 2011.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't think he's a straight shooter.

They may not like the word "rebuilding" because of the tanking connotations, but that's essentially what they're trying to do. I'd refer to it as "rebuilding on the fly". They want to remain competitive and shoot for the playoffs while also building up the talent to grow into a championship team. That's been the goal, but after two years of just missing the playoffs they may want to focus more on the rebuilding part and less on the "make the playoffs" part.

1 person likes this.
  2. CXbby

CXbby Member

Now you are starting to catch on. When 29 other teams are gunning after eachother, I would hope that Morey keeps a few tricks up his sleeve. Thankfully being a "straight shooter" isn't a requisite for a GM. In fact the opposite is probably true.

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

I think that switch happened the second Yao got injured 5 games into the season. Whether people like it or not, they were still betting on Yao before that. They were fully aware what the slim odds were on that bet, but it was still the best bet if you were looking to win a championship. The second that bet crapped out is when this switch of gears happened, exiting "on the fly with an eye on Yao" mode and entering full rebuild.

4. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I hope it's not Mchale. Nothing that he's done as a coach and GM make me think he's the right choice.

5. Raven

Raven Member

Don't be silly, any GM that shows his cards is not fit to hold the title.

6. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

How many rebuilding teams call it that in the media?

I imagine that would be worse than the asset tag if you're a player.

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Bleh, whatever. Nobody could be a better coach for this collection of "assets and mediocrity" Morey has put together than Rick. I'll always be a fan, but one with very, very low expectations for the next 5 or so years.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

That is probably the smart thing to do after the franchise just lost its two franchise players. Not sure how many people have championship aspirations for the next few years even with the huge holes left in the roster, though I'd feel sorry for anyone who does.

9. Garner

Garner Member

Just go ahead and extend that to the Texans and Astros as well.

Ga...

10. conquistador#11

True, but Morey has been more like Bugsy Siegel than Michael corleone. He doesn't hesitate letting everyone know that he wants to make a trade for carmelo. He will get on a toyota with fans and ipads to a specific player's house. He will tell you what row he sat in at the michael buble concert and what he had for dinner beforehand.
    Morey has shown his cards plenty of times and has still done an amazing job acquiring talent. None of us can debate that, but many of us find it funny that he can't say that we're rebuilding. It's almost like drayton with his "we're not rebuilding We're retooling."
    The majority of coaches, sucky sucky ones and hall of famers, do not buy what the rockets are trying to sell them. They have too much pride.

Need to work on a puppetmaster photoshop.

11. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

I fear for Hill and Patternson's health. I don't think McHale would approve of their post games.

12. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://blog.chron.com/nba/2011/05/s...-rockets-are-ready-to-make-a-coaching-choice/

Still a three-man race, it won’t be long until Rockets are ready to make a coaching choice

By now, you would think the Rockets would have to have a preference. After all the interviews, all the research, they would have to have opinions, would have to be leaning in some direction in their coaching search. According to an individual with knowledge of their decision-making, however, it is still a three-man race.

Yahoo! reported on Saturday that Kevin McHale is the front-runner, citing multiple league sources. Other media outlets have previously called Lawrence Frank and Dwane Casey the front-runner.

In a way, they all can be right if the Rockets have been flip-flopping. But according to a person familiar with the Rockets’ thinking, there is not a front-runner for the position for several reasons.

They have lots of opinions. But according to the individual with knowledge of the process, there have been things about all three finalists that the Rockets prefer, strengths that favor each of them and relative weaknesses that could send the Rockets to one of the other finalists.

The Rockets, he said, don’t have a front-runner because they don’t want a front-runner, yet.

They have intentionally put off that kind of thinking until Rockets owner Leslie Alexander gets back to town next week and they then lay out their information for him.

What he did not say is that it really does not matter if there were a leader of the pack, anyway. Alexander made the call on the previous hires and he’ll make the choice, again.

Daryl Morey will lay out all the information and all of his opinions. But Alexander prefers information to opinions. Always has. And he does not rubber stamp recommendations. It has long been known that to get Alexander’s blessing on a decision in any department you do not say what you think should be done no matter how great an expert in your field you might be. You must lay out the reasons and be prepared to back up arguments.

On basketball decisions, there are tons of long discussions with Alexander before he weighs in.

This is not to suggest that Morey is just a researcher in this process. But there are qualities in each candidate that impress him. There is reason to believe he is torn.

Morey could make a recommendation, but Alexander will want to know everything that went into the choice. Hearing all that, he will pick a coach.

The Rockets could know where he stands at this stage, but have set things up to have those discussions when he gets back. Then, someone could go from front-runner to coach very quickly.

13. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

1 person likes this.
  14. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

thanks for the link, it appears to me that the Rockets will go ahead with McHale

I don't think that Casey, as a defensive minded coach is something the management is looking into. McHale on the other hand "works with players" and is "a players coach". I think that's what Morey is looking for, someone who can give them a boost while he himself structures the team.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

There's a different between being honest to the fans and being honest to the competitors. Morey is actually doing the opposite. Every GM knows that's he's rebuilding once he's shopping his veteran assets for draft picks and/or young unfulfilled potentials. What he's been telling the fans has nothing to do with covering up his hands. It's all PR spins for his boss.

16. Nook

Nook Member

He isn't... and Morey never said he was. Adelman did not want to sit through rebuilding and was not happy with the late season trades.... also, he is nearly 70 years old.... so he wasn't a long term solution.

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

Is he going to play for us?
    He was a good player but has nothing to show for his caching talent, putting it most nicely.

18. shlhl

shlhl Member

So Rocket will become lottery team pretty soon . I am not impressive to any one of them. Bright side is that we will have top five draft instead of keeping picking #14:(

19. blackistan

blackistan Member

This is not good news

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

Fine. If that is how you see it, let me rephrase:

Now you are catching on. DM has a business to run. I would hope that he has the savvy to know when it comes to selling a product, you wouldn't want to reveal little details like "we are focusing on the long run, not next year". Thankfully being a "straight shooter" isn't a requisite for a salesman. In fact the opposite is probably true.

I guess the one constant is I don't see a problem with it. Morey's job isn't to baby fans or even be truthful to them. As long as he is focusing on finding a way to win a championship, he can tell me pigs fly for all I care.