1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: McHale "clearly separated himself" according to "multiple league sources"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, May 21, 2011.

1. Houston_Rockets

People are not understanding the big picture.

As a "pure" coach, Kevin is probably the least prepared to take the job, but this is not about Kevin Mchale being THE COACH.

This is about bringing in Chris Finch as an assistant plus a well organized coaching staff (explained by all the interviews we did to ex-players), and gaining respect among players and around the league. This is about Finch more then Kevin.

I think 99% of the people prefer Frank or DC to be THE COACH (me included), thing is, DM doesn´t need that, he needs an experienced and respected by players face, to bring Finch slowly but surely.

An underrated argument for Mchale "could" be the fact the he might intrigue guys like D12, or facilitate deals with t-wolves (don´t go mad on me, pure speculation)

The clear thing that comes out of all of this, is the fact that DM reaaaaaaaaaly expects big things out of Finch, let´s hope he is right.

PeAcE

2 people like this.
  2. Htown's2kFinest

Yeah I remember that. I think he criticized Hill a lot on his post moves and how he always moves away from the basket instead of going towards it. He basically said Jordan Hill sucks and if I can recall, a number of people on hear were bashing him for that. But he was on the money. It'll funny if he comes here an turns Hill into a somewhat decent player. Not counting on it though...

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Will you let us tell you who to play? Sure.

Will you let us pick your staff? Why not.

Will you fall on your sword when it's time? I'd love to sir.

Lastly, and most important, will you work for peanuts? Sure, I've got plenty of money already and can go back to being an analyst once this is over.

SEPARATION ACHIEVED.

4. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

This^^

5. Rocket Addict

Rocket Addict Contributing Member

He was a poor GM. But yes, people think highly of him. He was a hall of fame basketball player - one of the all-time greats- and is recognized for having a high basketball IQ.

For a team that has rapidly fallen off of the basketball map, I feel better with Kevin McHale at the helm than Frank. That's for sure. I can just see Morey and Frank leading the dork brigade to try to close the deal with free agents. It won't work IMHO.

Casey might be ok, but he is not a front man and the Rockets need a front man, a leader, someone who can work with Morey and most importantly, someone who can develop young talent. I think McHale fits that mold pretty well.

Yes, he'll need a talented staff and yes, he has a lot to prove, but so would any of the three finalists.

Perhaps McHale can even help Morey work out a deal for the second pick with Minnesota so the Rockets can pick Kanter. That would be a nice bonus.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

As a player, he had the best post moves I've ever seen. Totally nonathletic, but could hold his own against anyone including Dream.

7. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here is the rest of the story for those to lazy to go to the link....

The Rockets are still deliberating on different scenarios involving the three finalists, sources say, but McHale is the candidate to beat for the job. Rockets owner Les Alexander must still ultimately sign off on the recommendation of GM Daryl Morey and his front office staff.

McHale, an analyst for TNT, would need to come to agreement on financial terms and length of contract should an offer be made, but sources say he’s too anxious for a chance to coach to reject a deal.

McHale also met with Golden State officials about their coaching vacancy on Thursday.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

[​IMG]

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

We've been mediocre - that's a trip we've been on for a while.

And why in the blazes would you want Brent Barry over Kevin McHale??

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Just saw this series on Youtube (Olajuwon vs. McHale, even though, if you ask me, they hardly guarded one another because they would've fouled each other out... lol) :

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z1bZGZkcryY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/O4rcYQYhmpI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GilBUpdgMKo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Kak2jzf9uQc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NPOT-liQ25o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sE-E9q5nnf0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. conquistador#11

Morey: "Can you win big?"
    Casey and Frank: "We will put the best five out there and we will win now!"
    Morey: "That was not what I wanted to hear."
    McHale: " I will play thabeet. He is a future hall of famer.
    Morey:" Mchale, You are hired."

Ahhh the freak said it perfectly.

If this organization wants that world championship(insert rolling eyes) experience from Finch then they should straight out hire him and do away with all this " mentoring" crap. And if Mchale is being brought here to lure "stars" then D. Morey should fire himself.

12. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Adelman brought mediocrity in these last a few years. McHale will bring you quality draft picks.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If it wasn't for the fact that it's essentially an impossibility for me to manage it, I'd be speechless. We're going to hire Kevin freakin' McHale to replace Rick Adelman? Someone please tell me this is a joke. A poor one, at that.

14. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

He better be. I think Finch is a better coach than Van Gundy, Adelman, McHale.

15. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I don't really trust this guy with this job.

16. pge71188

pge71188 Member

[​IMG]

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Huge win... :)

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

IF TRUE, seems like a Les Alexander "big name" hire. Mixed with Morey eventually getting "his way" with a coach-in-waiting on the staff. Almost like a compromise move.

He did rip into Jordan Hill plenty good. But I didnt see it as a complete diss like Charles Barkley would do.

I think he HONESTLY believed Jordan Hill shoulda been performing better than everyone as the highest drafted lottery player on the court, and not letting undrafted free agents do better than him. (Truthfully I dont Hill played AS bad as it seemed, more that Hill got the "glass half empty" treatment and Kevin McHale on his ass on every broadcast lol)

19. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Unfortunately, its true. Our beloved team is going downhill with Morey at the helm

20. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

i think the Rockets brass see Mchale as a short-term temporary measure. Someone to mold and mentor young players as it seems like big changes are coming to the roster, possibly a complete revamp. Once the new blood gels and becomes competitive, one of the groomed assistants being could step in and take over.