1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Lionel Hollins, Grizzlies likely parting ways after contract discussions collapse

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by redhotrox, Jun 2, 2013.

1. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--lionel-hollins--grizzlies-likely-parting-ways-after-contract-discussions-collapse-210228215.html

2. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Not-so-breaking news: Griz lead assistant David Joerger will be prime candidate to replace Hollins if deal can't be reached</p>&mdash; Ronald Tillery (@CAGrizBlog) <a href="https://twitter.com/CAGrizBlog/status/341281765731753985">June 2, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Joerger has first-timer's low price and more amenable relationship with new management working in his favor among other things</p>&mdash; Ronald Tillery (@CAGrizBlog) <a href="https://twitter.com/CAGrizBlog/status/341282409326714880">June 2, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Major philosophical differences?

We want small-ball, Lionell.

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Would be stupid to get rid of that guy. He really got the Grizzlies playing hard.

One more team that I expect the Rockets to pass next year.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If it isn't JVG, I bet the Nets hire Hollins.

Wonder when during the playoffs this "explosion" on Hollinger occurred.

6. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

As if there was any doubt, the window has not only been slammed shut, but sealed as well for the Griz. It's amazing how much damage Hollinger has done in such a short amount of time. No wonder the Spurs fired him so quick before he could screw things up even more for that franchise. Props to Hollins for standing up to management. Some team is going to get a really good coach when they hire him.

7. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Too black for the clippers?

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Great detail as always from Woj, but slightly disappointed he didn't identify Hollinger as "a statistician who worked for a cable sports company" again. ;)

9. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I'm sure it has to do with the aftermath of the Rudy Gay trade.

Like a good coach, Hollins wants the best players possible on his team during the season in a playoff push.

Grizz management started this "philosophical" difference when they let Rudy Gay go for an aging Tayshaun.

It was a clear sign that Grizz Mgmt. cared more about the dough than the trophy.

The Grizz were a better team with Rudy Gay, despite his offensive struggles this year. They lost A LOT from a talent standpoint when he was traded.

If they had a go-to guy against the Spurs, the outcome may have been different.

Rudy Gay is a good player, but ownership threw in the towel the minute they traded him. The players knew it. The fans knew it. Hollins felt it.

I'm guessing MGMT wanted Hollins to buy into their trades/vision at all costs, and Hollins probably wanted some sort of role in keeping his lineup as talented as possible.

It reminds me of how Morey parted ways with Adelman. Rick wasn't appreciative of some of the trades that were done COMPLETELY for money, and Morey wanted a "yes-man" type of coach that he could have for cheap and justify his moves by the coach's inexperience. (See: McHale)

I wonder if Morey spoke with McHale following his indifference/displeasure with the PatPat trade...

Some management teams focus more on the money than the wins, the championship hopes, team chemistry and loyal fans.

Hollins is a good coach, and like another poster wrote, he had his guys playing hard. Man, Hollins has had Zbo playing some of the best basketball of his career...

The Grizz lose on this one. Fa sho.

10. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

Making the Conference Finals in his first season on the job (after getting bounced in Round 1 the season before)? Sounds like little damage there.

When was Hollinger with the Spurs?

Hollins is overrated... He's a good coach who will always find a job, but Joerger was the brains behind that defense.

The Grizzlies will be much better off with a strong offseason and sticking to a moneyball approach.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Hollins deserves praise for how the Grizzlies. However a parting was inevitable. Hollins and the management were on completely different philosophical wave lengths. I am sure Hollins will get more money and respect elsewhere.
    As for the Grizz, Joerger would be an excellent choice. Having said that, I am not sure that taking a member of existing coaching staff.

I think Zach Randolph is gone and others.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'll take Zack Randolph if Memphis doesn't want him.

13. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Hollinger does have a punchable face. I could see why Hollins would explode on him so quickly.

14. jvu

jvu Member

Rather have Marc Gasol than zbo

Gasol
    Howard
    Parsons
    Harden
    Lin

I'm in

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

stupid ass grizzlies.

I like how he got in Bayless's face for being a dumb****.

16. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Is this the same hollinger from espn?

17. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Yep..

18. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

lollinger

perfect coach for the clippers. bet theyre excited

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

It's a lot easier to have a good defense with great defensive players whose strength is not offense. Doesn't take much brains at all really.

1 person likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Woj(radio):

He has likely coached his last game for Memphis.
    We could all see this coming.
    Lionel has been clear he doesn't see eye to eye with the analytics movement.
    There was a confrontation with he and Hollinger, as I wrote in the story.
    They want their own guys in there.
    I was told they never talked seriously about years and money.
    It was inevitable there was a parting there.

He's a disciplinary.
    Can't underestimate the job he did.
    I think that team will look different.
    They want their stamp on things. As important as winning is, getting credit for winning is more important.
    No one is surprised that things wouldn't work out. Crazy since he just got them to the WCF.

1 person likes this.