1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Kings fire Mike Malone

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 15, 2014.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Raiders?

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I liked Westphal and Theus. A lot of people didn't but I did. Definitely not the first time.

3. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Mike Malone's Kings won a NBA Championship and he still got fired.

Yes that's a summer league championship but their owner acted like he is the world champ also.

This team is having a bad owner and also a moronic front office, Morey should pickup the phone and call them 24/7.

4. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I saw that clip of the Kings draft when the owner was dominating the decision-making. I knew right away it was not going to end well. The guys was over-enthusiastic in an area where he obviously is not competent.

Will their mayor step in again? I hope we can somehow nab Boogie.

5. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Kings have had the 2nd or 3rd toughest schedule up to this point. Gotta wonder WTF is going on in Sacramento.

6. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Owner thinks he's invincible since you know, he can afford to pay Hundos of Millions of dollars because he's successful elsewhere. I wouldn't put it past him that he's a smart man, heck I'll even give him that he knows a thing or two about basketball. But dude has gotta let his employees take care of the basketball side of things and he stick to writing checks.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

My 2 cents:

Eric Musselman: No business being a head coach. Period.

Reggie Theus: Way too hard-nosed for the NBA. He's in college where he belongs. Has a true passion for coaching.

Kenny Natt: Huh?

Paul Westphal: Not an NBA level coach. Probably not college either.

Keith Smart: Oh brother.

Mike Malone: Probably the best of the whole bunch. He'll be fine and has a long NBA coaching career ahead of him IMO.

Ty Corbin: A stopgap that is clearly worse than who he's replacing.

Next coach: Will be tough for them to hire someone worthwhile.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

Their best bet is to hirw a recently retired player that was a good floor general in his playing days as head coach.

If they want someone older maybe Mario Elie or Cassel. Or throw some cash at Kenny Smith.

9. FeaR

FeaR Member

More The doomed partnership of the Sacramento Kings and coach Michael Malone

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kings are still the Kings. LOLOLOLOL

Royce White?! Josh Smith!?

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

That sounds like us. Management tells coaches what to do.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This is how I see The Kings owner now.

[​IMG]

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Some truth to that.

At least the FO didn't push the coach to play Royce White. :p

Management wanted Chris Finch on staff; management hired Kevin McHale's staff.

Adelman suspected they were trying to hire his eventual successor.

:)

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Some guys believe that their prowess in the business world translates directly to sports knowledge. Ranadive is thinking, "I've made billions designing micro-processors for some of the most advanced systems in the world. How hard can it be to put together a team of 15 guys who are really good at basketball?" When he first took over, I thought he was going to pull the Kings out of the pits of the NBA, and back into relevance. Boy was I wrong.....

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

Holy ****- according to that Yahoo article the owner wants them to have a cherry picking defender. That would be hysterical.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He got the idea coaching his daughters basketball team. I remember watching real sports and he mentioned it....I had no idea he thought it could really work in the NBA.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I would not slam Ranadive too hard.

The guy has a passion for running a basketball team and is willing to try new things and invest $ and energy to make the team successful. Does he make mistakes? Sure, but all owners do and inexperienced owners especially so. And it's OK to make mistakes as long as the owner is learning from them and staying and keep on working for the long haul.

I am actually OK with them firing a competent coach over fundamental philosophical differences with the owner and management. It's like a band with big creative difference among the members. They may well be better just splitting up so each member can pursue the creative direction that he or she wants to pursue.

If Vivek, D'Alessandro and Mullin really think that they should play a certain way to achieve the level of success. They should give their approach a shot. I said the same thing about Rick Adelman leaving Houston.

I would say that Vivek's mistakes are hiring Malone as coach in the first place and not firing him in the summer if Vivek knew that Malone's approach disagrees with how Vivek wants things done. Firing him 20 or so games in just seems like weird timing.

18. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

wtf?

I thought he was doing a phenomenal job.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That is unbelievable. I'm just thankful our owner doesn't think of himself as a god.

1 person likes this.
  20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Time for them to hire a Yes Man.