1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Harden Return?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htown Legend, Dec 25, 2022.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

they said Harden would ruin the young guys

bumass Jalen Green went on Podcast P talking as if Harden would stifle his game

FVV is 5 years younger, but the washed one isn’t Harden

2. corrado

corrado Member

The downside of James coming here would be that he would have no shot at the ring. Right now, at least until Kawhi and PG go down, they have a chance. This is also the reason I think all that talk was just a lever James tried using in contract negotiations with his former friend Morey and he had no real intention of coming back.

As for FVV, mentioning him in the same sentence as James is laughable when it comes to value added on the court. Toronto fans seemed pretty content with him leaving. With that being said who else could have signed?

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Signing FVV means we aren't trying to even get into the playoffs. With that being the case, I am fine signing quite literally anyone for a 1 year contract to fill roster numbers.

topfive likes this.
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't know why people are still whining about not signing Harden. First, Harden never really wanted to come here. He's using us as leverage. Second, he does not fit our timeline. Do you want to pay a 36,37-year old Harden 60M a year when our young players are going to get paid?

The choice between FVV and Harden was always about the future length, not the present amount.

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

From what the credible reports have said, Harden absolutely had interest in a return. It was Ime that was hesitant and ultimately shot it down.

I mean they're paying max to FVV for 3 years. Yes the 3rd year is an option but it's still there. JG is proving he isn't worth a pay day. The only person showing they are worth investing in for this specific timeline is Sengun. Bari/Tari aren't up to getting paid until 26 which doesn't really interfere with a 3 or 4 year deal for harden. The max offer the rockets could have done was a 4 year for $200 mil. Harden clearly isn't going to get max from the Clips so it's going to be interesting to see what he signs for on his next deal.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If Harden had returned to the Rockets, he would not the be the very sober Harden playing with the Clippers now.

Dobbizzle and Patience like this.
  8. chenjy9

Supporting Member

This is speculation

Rocket River likes this.
  9. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Lol you think he ain’t partying it up in LA?

daywalker02 and Crashlanded19 like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

less years for FVV in comparison for Harden so that they can go into the market earlier and overpay for another FVV…

that’s the Rockets timeline

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Reports about Harden's interest likely got their scoop from Harden's side. Of course he wanted the world to believe he has interest or it wouldn't be much of a leverage. Think from Harden's point of view. What would be reasons for him to want to come back? Want would be reasons for a player to want to go to a certain team?
    1. Money
    2. Winning (a shot at championship)
    3. Be "the man" on a team that allows him to play the way he wants
    4. Playing with friends
    5. Sentimental feeling

#2 and #4 are clearly not what the Rockets had to offer. I do not believe for a minute (as much as some Harden fans here feel) that he would come for sentimental feeling. So it's pretty much money and being in control of how he plays.

As I pointed out, we should not give him the kind of money he wanted. In fact, no team would. If Philly, a contending team that needed him much more than the Rockets did, would not give him the max, why would the Rockets? And #3 was what prompted Udoka's objection. I would be hesitant to get an aging guy who wanted to have his way on a rebuilding team.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

idk. we heard Ime's side of it. and even Woj reported it.

"Nothing against James," Ime Udoka told ESPN's Zach Lowe. "But Fred is just a better fit. I coached James in Brooklyn. He's one of the smartest players I've ever been around. The words ‘Ime doesn't want James' never came out of my mouth. It was, 'Let's look at the best fit.' If we want Jalen and the young guys to take the next steps, we need them to have the ball. As for me saying I don't want James, that was never the case. It was about fit."

Turns out FVV has the ball a whole lot when he plays. Much more than anyone else. JG with the ball in his hands continues to be horrendous. So here we are.

#4 playing with friends doesn't apply? Harden has already been on record saying he works out in the summer with current rockets players and stays in touch maintains a relationship with the young guys

I mean using the pay logic, no other team was going to pay FVV the max so why would the Rox. They did it anyway

So #3 instead they opted for a worse player on a max deal with a more limited impact on winning.

#4632 YOLO, Feb 23, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
    Reeko likes this.
  13. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

Get Harden back in Houston

Still at an elite level . Adjusting his game with age

14. RoyalGuard

RoyalGuard Member

No

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

testify Pringles09

Harden would’ve had us in the playoffs

CRJ713 and Verbal Christ like this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Maybe, Harden is better, but Fred was still really good for us.

This wasn't about a pure talent thing, this was about culture and system buy-in for Ime. If this team has a bright future, it will be the young players growing, creating a solid locker room and culture was objective #1. I don't think Harden is some cancer, but I think Fred was the right choice. He's not "the system" and doesn't carry the ego Harden (deservedly) does.

ico4498 likes this.
  18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I don’t want to be condescending. Butttttt why the hell can people not separate a single season and 4 seasons? I mean great we probably make the playoffs this season. What happens in season 3 and 4 when the team is truly ready to contend with a top 5 record in the NBA and your capspace and flexibility is hampered? In 2028 I’ll think back and sure am glad we made the playoffs and lost 4-1 in the first round!!

Mathloom and topfive like this.
  19. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

FVV's contract only guarantees next season.

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

ah yes, because we all know an extra year or 2 of James Harden is what would stop the Rockets magical run at contention :rolleyes:

MadMax likes this.