1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] For Jeremy Lin, a jagged journey back to Houston gives him reason to trust again

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gah, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

In all my life as an Asian, I have never heard that the Japanese do not consider themselves as Asian - like it's an insult or something. This guy thinks that his twisted personal view is actually the general opinion. Okay no more... To all u non Asian people out there Japanese people are Asians and it is not an insult to call sushi an Asian food. Don't listen to this dude.
    Now back to analyzing Lin..

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

LOL yay we D&D now

3. zdrav

zdrav Member

Bingo.

This Koijiru fool thinks he's better than "those Asians" who are always so weak, uncool, geeky, and ugly.

Oh no, he's so much better. He's Japanese.

If you look Asian, you ARE Asian. So he should be embracing his racial identity in America, rather than trying to run from it in futile fashion.

4. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

Just because Kojirou might want to support a player Yuta Tabuse, it's all good. Whether or not it's because he's being ethnocentric or may have identity issues like #1 hater is another issue. However, I'll give Kojirou the benefit of the doubt that he identifies more with his ethnicity/heritage and that's it.

On the flipside, others Japanese-Americans have no problems supporting Jeremy Lin, including the first minority to ever play in the league.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/11202/wat-misaka-lins-been-an-eye-opener

Jeremy Lin also has his own way of expressing himself, and although he identifies with Asian-American of Chinese/Taiwanese descent (where people also still want to argue like no other) he proclaims he's first and foremost a Christian.

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Jeremy Lin is Taiwanese American, also Taiwan is not part of China.

discuss

6. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Honestly who cares what others consider themselves. Let them be whatever they want to be it doesn't effect you or me. I prefer Asians to consider themselves more American honestly if they are in America rather than every culture trying to separate themselves.

7. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

You can ask for clarification and the definitions, which is sometimes provided. You might also have the option to dispute it or leave it blank.

Some forms, i.e. the U.S. Census, also has been expanding those forms and in CA I've seen certain groups get their own category - Mexicans and Filipinos separated from both Hispanic and/or Asian. So it's up to you.

[​IMG]

8. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

Jeremy Lin has heritage from both Taiwan and China, therefore he is more than welcome to state both as he's already done that.

rebuttal?

9. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Overdramatic.

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

agreed, I don't know enough to say anything intelligent on the subject

11. iconoclastism

iconoclastism Member

If you guys have racial hangups, please go to another forum. This is a Rox forum. A little bit of how Lin being Asian affect him in the NBA is OK but all out racial debates is a no no.

The more you do this, the less credibility you have on anything basketball related for Lin.

Lin is fine.

Stop projecting your own frustrations onto Lin just because you have a had time adjusting to mainstream America.

12. Luca

Luca Member

Great post man.

13. Luca

Luca Member

Yep, you read it right. Being Japanese is not being Asian, ok.

14. fishguy91

fishguy91 Member

People use the word "Asian" in different terms which lead to confusion.

You can be white and European, black and African, Asian and.. Asian. See what I mean?

In American culture, Lin's racial identity is Asian American, so would be a Japanese American. Whether they consider themselves as Asians in Japan is their business, and we should respect that.

15. raspar

raspar Member

[​IMG]

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Japan is no longer part of East Asia? news to me

17. deshen

deshen Member

If Lin can not improve his performance soon on the court in Houston, he'd find the hard part in Houston too.

18. zdrav

zdrav Member

This is not a contender team.

This is the youngest team in the league, and James Harden is only 23.

You've already got $24mil invested in Lin.

What is this rush nonsense? This season is basically one big mulligan. Give him a season's worth of starts to figure out what kind of player he can be on this team.

19. iconoclastism

iconoclastism Member

There is the honorary white component to the equation which may be acceptable in the 1980s considering the era but since then reality came back but many still lives in the fantasy land. I am not Korean but for East Asians, the Koreans are the ones who kick butts today. And they consider themselves Asians.

But then again this belongs in another forum.

20. zdrav

zdrav Member

That "honorary white" crap is from the Meiji Restoration or something. Pretty sure that died with the Japanese Internment and all.

Wonder how "white" they felt then.