1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Woj) Christian Wood agrees to deal with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Normalus

Normalus Member

Repetition, he shot 73.4% from FT line on 5 attempts per game. His release looks really good, he needs to make better shot selections and he may be really good behind the arc one day. Kid is only turning 20 by the start of next season...

2. dje243

dje243 Member

How did this kid go undrafted? Obviously raw but it's not hard to see the potential.

3. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

that sucks, i still remember he dunked on Yao in his rookie season with the warriors

4. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

The Rockets are taking a flyer on Wood. The kid better work his azz off and prove to the doubters that he really does not have work ethic issues, whether real or unjustly perceived.

5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Probably a 40-50K guaranteed training camp contract, worth a shot, worse scenario will be just another Viper player like Rice Jr.

6. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

How was this guy not drafted. Size and skill set alone should have got him drafted. Anywhere from Clint Capela to Anthony Davis. He has to be coached well. What better place to develop a big man with that skill set than Houston. McHale, Dawson, Dream and the guru Josh Powell.

Strength and toughness seems to be his undoing. With a workout partner like Dwight, he has a great chance to develop his weaknesses. Great, great signing. I hope he makes it to the main roster. Dorsey does not belong.

All this focus on PF, it seems inevitable that we will make a deal for a PG using one of Jones or DMo. Deron Williams would be nice here.

7. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

agreed, and I think Dwill still got some game left

8. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

DWill would be nice only if the Nets were to buyout his contract. >20mil a year for two more years? Absurd.

9. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

I like this kid. Kind of lanky like John Henson. Lots of upside.

10. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

He has to be one of the most physically talented players that went undrafted... Like in the history of the NBA

11. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

If we can develop this guy and Capela just imagine the havoc they will reek on offense and defense for years to come. They both have arms like Dhalsim.

12. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

after looking into him, cant believe he went undrafted! in the 2nd round you're supposed to pick players like him.

13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I did a bit of digging and a mock draft analysis had Wood going in the FIRST ROUND. Wow... No wonder dude was totally despondent after going undrafted.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Henson knows his role. He doesn't. Face up 4, plus finishing at the basket/ rebounding should be his game. The NBA is much tougher than college. If he shies away from contact, he won't succeed. I wish him well. Hope he will shine for us.

15. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Guessing this might be it:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Christian Wood--recently signed by Houston, via <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA">@WojYahooNBA</a>--is a nice talent. But teams got some scathing reviews about his work ethic.</p>&mdash; Chris Mannix (@ChrisMannixSI) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChrisMannixSI/status/614572830076878849">June 26, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

But if going undrafted isn't a great motivator, I don't know what is.

16. tdo

tdo Member

Exactly what I was thinking... I get the concern over work ethic and shot selection, but in the 2nd round, he is exactly the kind of guy you are looking to grab. Young, long, athletic, has a nice touch if you can get him motivated (which it seems going undrafted may have done the trick) he could be an enormous steal. Oh well, we get another fun young player that could develop into a rotational player. Man this might be the most exciting summer league team ever assembled!

17. Greg M

Greg M Member

New Mexico Lobos fan here. UNLV is one of our main rivals, so I've seen Wood a few times and keep up to date with UNLV news. Wood is a mid first round talent. He's a lazy SOB though who had a sense of entitlement last year in the Mountain West. Still, given his upside, I'm shocked somebody didn't take him in the 2nd round. One thing to keep in mind is that UNLV's coach, Dave Rice, is awful and the players run the show. This will be an adjustment for Wood. Maybe going undrafted is the wake up call he needs. Nice pickup by Morey.

3 people like this.
  18. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

thx for the info.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

not so sure about that :grin:

20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Can't wait for the Lineup

D-mo Harden Wood Dekker Johnson