1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

WOJ: BREAKING Westbrook to Houston for CP3 & Picks!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Xerobull, Jul 11, 2019.

1. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

How would we take on Dieng and RoCo without giving up a ton of assets (meaning rotation pieces to make the #'s work)?

Shumpert sign & trade for Dieng then Non-guaranteeds for RoCo? Lux tax bill would be astronomical unfortunately. I actually like Dieng as a backup Center on this team although I might like TC more.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

This (Dieng) would make things interesting. He is very much overpaid but he can ball. He plays good defense, can rebound very well and can actually step out stretch the floor with the second unit and hit an occasional 3. He would add quality depth to our front court.

If he is the holdup I say he + Covington is worth it to me. Tilman on the other hand has a tough decision to make. That looks to be a hefty tax bill.

justtxyank likes this.
  3. riko

riko Member

Russ
    Harden
    Covington
    Tucker
    Clint

Bench
    Rivers
    Gordon
    House
    Clark
    Chandler

That is a nasty team.

jch1911 likes this.
  4. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

The Rockets' deal for Houston native Clyde Drexler is risky. The Rockets have been one of the league's poorest rebounding teams, and they gave up their second-best rebounder in Otis Thorpe in a conference that has Charles Barkley, Shawn Kemp, Karl Malone and Dennis Rodman.

They also broke up a championship team before they had a chance to defend their title.

don't know how we're going to match up," said Houston reserve Mario Elie, "but I guess that's the coach's job. I know we're going to miss O.T.'s 10 rebounds a game."

Added Robert Horry, who will share power forward with Carl Herrera, "I hate (the deal) right now."

After a 9-0 start, the Rockets have been a .500 team, and anyone who has seen them in the last month-including at the United Center in January-knows they have gone dead and are unlikely to repeat.

There's no question this trade is going to be evaluated based on how far we go," said personnel director Bob Weinhauer. "If we were locked in first place, five games ahead, this probably would never have come up. Every once in a while, you've got to do things that rejuice everybody."

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1995-02-19-9502190305-story.html

[​IMG]

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

How did I miss this?

I'm glad I missed it until now, no way I would have got any work done today.

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

AWESOME

7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

What would be the tax bill if we do take on dieng?

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Nice analogy. Thanks for blast from the past.

9. Nook

Nook Member

If the Rockets add Covington and (even if they lose Capela) an adequate center, they may be the favorites IMO.

A death line up of:

Westbrook
    Harden
    Gordon
    Tucker
    Covington

That line up can compete with any other in the line up, including the Lakers and Clippers and Sixers.

Also FWIW that line up would give the Bucks fits.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Too much for Tilman.

BHannes2BHonest and hakeem94 like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

IF the Rockets trade for Covington, he will almost assuredly play center in a small ball line up.

Covington has a really long wingspan and can protect the paint.

Deuce, xaos, hakeem94 and 1 other person like this.
  12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Where did the Dieng rumor pop up?

That would be a MASSIVE expenditure. Dieng+Covington comes out to close to $28 million a year in salary. The luxury tax on that would be like what, $60million? (quick look)

BaselineFade and hakeem94 like this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If Tilman approves this move (assuming we aren't sending out comparable salary like Capela) then he should get a statue immediately lol.

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I guess I can take "credit" for the current speculation re: Dieng. I threw it out there that maybe the hold up in obtaining Covington is that Rosas want to handcuff Dieng to Robert in order to get capspace for 2020.

@steddinotayto is not an insider though for a nominal price he can start printing out an insider newsletter for interested parties.

Deuce, jch1911, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  15. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I have no idea where the rumor came from. Probably a Clutchfans thing lol. But yeah I can’t see Tilman paying that much in taxes.

16. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

There’s the answer.

steddinotayto likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Only way I could see that happening would be the Rockets moving salary out as well....... moving Gordon and Capela out for Dieng and Covington in a much larger deal with the Rockets getting draft picks and then adding a shooter and decent reserve center for a lower financial cost? It all gets rather complicated at that point though and stretches rationality.

With Covington and Chandler, the Rockets would have less need for Capela and he is a prime candidate to be moved to protect draft picks and limit the luxury tax costs. Right now there is Noah available, who was terrible after his injury but played well in Memphis and is the type of passer and active defender that could give the Rockets 15 minutes a night for little cost. As for Gordon, he is a lot harder to replace because he can defend well enough, shoot well from outside and penetrate some. His penetration is less important with Westbrook added, but he would still need to be replaced. Perhaps the Rockets think they can get a less expensive alternative and save money/luxury tax costs by moving him.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

But they had Rudy T and his crew and they ran a team oriented offense..

He convinced Dream to trust his teammates.....

I don't see that with the current staff that is in play right now...

T_Man

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

pls be legit

Deuce, jch1911 and BaselineFade like this.