1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj Bomb: Miami has expressed interest in Russell Westbrook

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Jul 8, 2019.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports...0190708-i45frkmtszg7pnozhzylrt4v2u-story.html

The question, in the void of upcoming picks, becomes whether the Heat can cobble together a package that would mesh with the Thunder's newfound forward-thing philosophy.

Among possibilities for the Thunder are to negotiate a deal that opens future cap space, with Westbrook due $170 million over the next four seasons.

Such a package from the Heat could potentially include the expiring contracts of Goran Dragic ($19.2 million for next season) and Meyers Leonard ($11.3 million for 2019-20).

From there, it could come down to the younger prospects the Heat could put into play from a pool of Justise Winslow, Bam Adebayo and 2019 first-round pick Tyler Herro. Herro remains unsigned. Draft picks cannot be dealt for 30 days from their signing date, otherwise eligible to be traded immediately.

Complicating a Heat bid for Westbrook would be the requirement of remaining below what now stands as a hard cap of $138.9 million in 2019-20 payroll, a condition of the sign-and-trade agreement with Butler. The Heat currently stand roughly $1 million below that threshold.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article232402102.html

To complete a trade, Miami would need to send Oklahoma City salaries equal or slightly more than the $38.2 million that Westbrook is set to earn next season.

The Heat could do that with multiple packages, including a hypothetical package of Goran Dragic and Meyers Leonard - who both have expiring contracts - and another player such as, hypothetically, Justise Winslow.

Miami cannot take salaries back in excess of what Westbrook is earning because the Heat is barely below the $138.9 million hard cap that it must operate under for the next year.

While the Heat can agree to trade Leonard at any point, the trade cannot be executed until the second week of September - two months after Leonard was acquired by the Heat.

luckyman76, Vivi and everyday eddie like this.
  2. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

yea, to Morey they are considering he trades them for lux tax savings.

3. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Sadly, that was my conclusion after the trade deadline. I haven’t seen anything to change my mind.

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Butler and Westbrook? Talk about fireworks.

luckyman76, amaru and justtxyank like this.
  5. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Jimmy Butler did say he wanted to pay with passionate players. Westbrook certainly fits the bill.

6. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

[​IMG]

7. jayfree

jayfree Member

If Russ goes to Miami (or elsewhere) there will be a ton of Rocket fans here that will just feel dirty for even entertaining the idea of him coming to Houston.

With that said, if Westbrook does bolt for Miami then what are the chances Wade says "F it, I'm coming back!"

8. lionaire

lionaire Member

Not the most credible guy but he's made a few correct calls this offseason before some of the bigger guys

amaru likes this.
  9. realonemo

realonemo Member

Brooklyn this year and the Knicks have always been a desired destination until the last few years.

10. Rocketsfan3422

@Plowman he called it yesterday. Give credit

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Woj:

Why has the situation with Westbrook gotten to this point?

The trade of Paul George to the Clippers for five first round picks & the fact OKC is no longer in championship contention. It's moved Russell Westbrook to let Sam Presti know he welcomes this process of finding a trade for him. Both the team & Westbrook are ready to move on. They'd like to find something sooner than later. They don't want this to drag out if they can help it.

Potential timeline?

It's gonna be a complex trade because of the money owed (4 years/$170M). Not every team is in position to put together a deal to make the money work. One team that has interest & the interest is mutual is Miami. Having interest & being able to execute are two very different things.

luckyman76 and Vivi like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Couldn't clear enough space to sign D'Angelo Russell but can for Westbrook.

[​IMG]

Andrew Wiggins
    $27,504,630
    $29,542,010
    $31,579,390
    $33,616,770

Jeff Teague
    $19,000,000

Gorgui Dieng
    $16,229,213
    $17,287,640

Robert Covington
    $11,301,219
    $12,138,345
    $12,975,471

Josh Okogie
    $2,530,680
    $2,651,040 (Team Option)
    $4,087,904 (Team Option)
    $5,857,966 (Qualifying Offer)

Jarrett Culver just signed his rookie deal so he can't be traded for 30 days or whatever

#72 J.R., Jul 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  13. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I'm mostly interested in the fallout (i.e. other players that get traded or bought out) and whether any of them will hurt or help the Rockets. From OKC, Jerami Grant is gone, so I'm wondering:

Gallo: Has D'antoni connection, would be great offensive option for Rockets but salaries probably don't make sense, injury prone, not sure where he fits in best lineups. I don't think it's a realistic option, I'm more scared he gets traded to someone that can really use him against Rockets.

Roberson: Does he have any juice left? does he get bought out?

Patrick Patterson: See Roberson analysis.

Nerlens Noel: He was given opportunity to back up and reupped anyway. Is he hoping for trade? Or just playing time? Could he be a low cost target for Rockets?

Steven Adams: Definitely not a potential Rocket, but does a rival get him and does it hurt us?

If Russ is traded to Miami, what happens to Dragic? Bought out maybe?

14. RoyalGuard

RoyalGuard Member

I concur, but OUR management don't/doesn't go for those type of players. (The type we need). Smh

amaru likes this.
  15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I wouldn't be a proper Morey Only Fan if I didn't acknowledge his one big outside signing this offseason that the rest of you guys are sleeping on.

TheRealAllpro likes this.
  16. JW86

JW86 Member

Let anybody have him soon so the delusional fans can stop posting about it possibly happening.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

this Brickbrook saga even got people acting like a starting lineup featuring CP, Russ, and Harden could actually work...people are losing their minds, u hate to see it

JW86 and amaru like this.
  20. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member