1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Austin Rivers returns to Rockets on 2 year deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jul 1, 2019.

1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Yup. from what I read on twitter it seems as though it was ainge chasing morey for that trade. morey only interested if it landed us butler.

listen i'm totally fine returning our starting 5 with rivers, house, green off the bench. that's a 55 win team. if we can use the MLE and BAE to add a stretch 4/5 for depth behind tucker/clint and a 3D combo forward to put ego back into the 6th man role we would go back to being a 60+ win team.

clutchdabear and Matt78777 like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Found out Kanter was born in Zurich, Switzerland, they got their Swiss Turk.

Matt78777 likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

at this point, jamychal green is the hope to bring here. only player really out there that can probably contribute the most to this team that's left

rockets still need a capable full time starting wing.

4. EugeneK

EugeneK Member

the silent guardian, watchful protector- Austin Rivers!!!!

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Green or Marcus Morris, hope for Iggy in a buyout...go to war

BimaThug and mikol13 like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

i think morris is looking for a decent payday. he just had one of his best seasons, so hell need to take advantage now. very doubtful hell take the money the rockets have left which is what barely above min

7. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

7 year player taking vet min multi year deal to help us out.

I hope he retires a Rocket now. Hopefully this won't turn out like the whole Brewer thing.

Actually, **** that. It don't even matter because he genuinely loves Houston and is taking a huge paycut (he's easily worth 5mil a year elsewhere) to play with us.

Thank you Austin Rivers, you are definitely one of my fav players now.

CP3 on the other hand.... :mad:

D-rock, KDavis, joshuaao and 5 others like this.
  8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

4 years at $120 million and has missed at least 20 games in each of the past 3 seasons.

I would say bubble wrap would be on the lighter side of packaging materials required to keep a star type player like Love on the court.

If he and Paul miss a significant amount of time on the same team, with their lofty contracts for as many years as they have left, this team would quickly become a fringe playoff squad because of what they'd have to give up just to acquire him.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  9. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Awesome sauce!

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

just piling on that this was the #1 return FA priority for the rockets. The fact that he took the vet min. is really shocking to me ...especially in this market. But i'm guessing that him and his agent took a look at next year's free agent market and decided that it was smart for Rivers to play another year on a team that rejuvenated his career and will be playing in the playoffs = huge payday next year when the market is bare.

Anyway, this is exciting. Definitely don't know how they are gonna add an impact player given their cap situation, but i suppose folks should be happy that we didn't lose Rivers (an important part of our team late in the season).

11. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

agreed, except in a perfect world I think CP3 would come off the bench as part of his new vet maintenance plan and Houston would start a more traditional small forward, either House or whatever combo forward houston signs. Doubtful he'll go for it but I think it'd be best for all parties.

12. macan

macan Member

i like our chances with Doc in the playoffs

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't know about Hayward's health. Did he ever get that step he lost back? I like Yabusele, though. A young 4 with real potential, in my opinion. He's 6'8" and 260 lbs. A 4 with the size to go along with the moniker, and still on a rookie contract. Not a bad shooter from distance, and he'll likely get better.

Don't know if we can still manage a deal with the Celtics, though. They got a center. Brown plus this kid for EG and change? Probably no dice for a couple of reasons.

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

Just my two cents on who are the guys we might want to sign with the rest of the MLE.

Cauley-Stein is also out there but i think he'll likely get more from another team, maybe Atlanta.

Holmes and Miller, like Stanley Johnson and maybe Noel might be the targets for the BAE or vet minimum imo.

EDIT

I guess we can take out Looney, McGee, Noel, Cauley and Holmes from the list of targets, which is fine imo, Green or Morris would help us more if Clint stays.

#294 Vivi, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    roslolian, luckyman76 and Nook like this.
  15. Fantasma Negro

Celtics just signed Kanter so I'm assuming this is a no-go

RyanB likes this.
  16. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Doc knows who will win championship next season, it aint in LA,

roslolian likes this.
  17. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

For vet minimum? That’s crazy.

All we need now is Faried to hit 35% 3s on some MLE money

18. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Rivers really did us a solid by taking the vet min on 2 years. I really hope Morey doesn't package him in a trade before his contract is up.

Rivers has his problems but you couldn't ask for a better backup point for the vet min. in our situation. Especially with CP3 being so injury prone.

bballjunkie likes this.
  19. roslolian

roslolian Member

WTF Rivers signed for the vet min for 2 years? Are you serious???

Why would he do that though Rivers can easily get 3-5M anywhere else. My man Austin Rivers, now officially my 2nd fav active Rocket behind James Harden. He's the perfect backup and running mate to Harden, now time to RUN IT BACK.

20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

We can sign Looney, re-sign Shump for mid-season trade purposes, and run it back.

luckyman76 likes this.