1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WOJ] Anthony Davis has requested trade

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by lionaire, Jan 28, 2019.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I like any Holiday to Houston angle. Makes sense. NOP would be ready to move on. Younger and now better than CP3...

That said, wouldn't the Lakers prefer Jrue Holiday?

Lakers can just offer basically EVERYONE not named Lebron plus the #4 for AD and Jrue Holiday....

2. BigBum

BigBum Member

Lakers have turned down pelicans requested package.
    Ingram, ball, kuzma, 4th pick, 1first

Lakers will not counter offer too. It is over.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Then the Lakers are stupid. Sure AD can just sign with them outright next summer but you could have a PG or Kawhi scenario on your hands where the player you want gets traded to another team and actually re-signs with that team.

RyanB likes this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Things are ramping up!

According to front offices who've engaged in conversations with Griffin, he hasn't sounded convinced that a singular team is likely to fulfill his wishes for a Davis deal. To that end, Griffin has been working to find multi-team trade scenarios that could redirect assets for players or picks more preferable to the Pelicans, sources said.

Griffin has offered teams no firm timetable on needing a completed deal, but he has indicated that he prefers the acquisition of 2019 draft picks be completed days prior to the June 20 event, in Brooklyn, league sources said. This gives the Pelicans a chance to meet and more closely examine draft candidates slotted in the vicinity of picks potentially traded to New Orleans.

Nook and Vivi like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Griffin is pursuing a combination of assets that include an All-Star player, a young player with All-Star potential and two first-round picks, league sources said. Those wants are on a sliding scale. For example, the better the player, the softer the asks on the draft picks -- and vice versa.

RocketsFanBrian and Vivi like this.
  6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Interesting.

[​IMG]

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Multi-team trade? And before the draft? Getting interesting!

rockets13champs, Nook and treyk3 like this.
  8. RocketsFanBrian

Heating up quickly!

9. JayZ750

This is a bit confusing. Is he seeking all those things, or some scale of those things? With a "better" All-Star he'll drop one of the first round picks?

Ask for the moon... but will see what they get. That's a huge ask, in a world where PG13 got moved for Oladipo (who was a contract move at that point) and Sabonis (a decent rookie with some promise) and Kawhi got moved for just Demar, an all star for sure, but one that was never thought of as "all-that".

I can't really think of any team that has the package he's requested... which is why we see these reports of multi-team trades. But even with that, let's look at all-stars:

Kemba-FA, Kyrie-FA, Kawhi-FA, Giannis-Not happening, Embiid-Not happening, Middleton-FA, Wade-lol selection/retiring, Russell-FA, Vucevic-FA, Curry-Not happening, Harden-Not happening, Durant-FA, Lebron-Not happening, Thompson-FA, Jokic-Not happening, Nowitzki-lol selection/retiring

That leaves:

Lowry - I could actually see Ujuri do that, if AD was coming back, but they'd have to move Siakim too, and no draft picks and just seems unlikely. IN a three team deal... guess the question is what could Lowry get. And honestly, Lowry is older, it's not an asset NOP would want.

Oladipo - Don't think Pacers would risk it. After all they just moved on from PG13 because he didn't want to stay in Indiana

Bradley Beal - DING DING DING. Would have to be a three team trade as Wizards aren't risking it with AD, imo, but if they can get something decent and long-term back for Beal, I can see the Pelicans wanting to run Beal out there with Jrue and Zion.

Simmons - Philly says no, but seems like an interesting risk to me...

Blake Griffin - too little value, even if Blake had a very good rebound year.

Paul George/Russell Westbrook - would be an interesting move for Presti. And interesting for the Pelicans.

Lillard - Imagine Blazers would rather move CJ, but that's not enough apparently. Would be interesting, but hard to see the Blazers doing this.

LMA - Spurs would be all over this, but NOP don't want older, lesser AD for AD.

KAT - other than the fact that it seems virtually like a 0% chance of AD staying with the TWolves, this would be interesting. But again, this isn't happening.

----

Will be interesting to see what Griffin can get. A package of one great young player and picks obviously seems more likely. Lakers, Celtics rumored packages.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/26848317/anthony-davis-trades-which-team-make-best-offer

Anthony Davis trades: Which team can make the best offer?

Which teams can make the best trade offers to the New Orleans Pelicans for Anthony Davis? New Orleans EVP David Griffin has started to provide potential suitors with the framework of the package he is seeking in a deal, according to a report by ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

The NBA draft lottery has changed things since Davis' initial request before the trade deadline. Do the Los Angeles Lakers or New York Knicks have an advantage? Or do the Boston Celtics still have the upper hand, despite uncertainty with Kyrie Irving's free agency?

ESPN Insider's Kevin Pelton and Bobby Marks answer the big questions surrounding potential AD trade talks and break down the most appealing possible packages.

The Celtics' questions

Marks: Kevin, what's Griffin's first priority in trade talks?

Pelton: Deciding to move Davis now makes sense. As I explained a few weeks ago, I don't think keeping Davis and trying to make a run next season to convince him to stay was the right move for the Pelicans. The odds of truly contending with a rookie Zion Williamson were too remote to be worth the risk of Davis being injured or the anticipated market failing to materialize for a player potentially in the final season of his contract.

With that in mind, my first call is to the Celtics to see whether the kind of mega-package we anticipated them offering is still available. Do you agree with that approach, and what would your response be as Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge?

Marks: The only way that Davis was going to be in a Pelicans uniform come training camp was if he were to ink a five-year, $235.5 million supermax contract on July 6, though I appreciate the effort of Griffin and the Pelicans to sell the All-Star on the possibility of playing with Williamson and the option of retooling the roster this summer.

Despite a season of turmoil with a disappointing finish, Boston still has the right mix of young players (Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum), draft assets (Nos. 14, 20 and 22 in 2019, plus a valuable future first-rounder from the Memphis Grizzlies) and contracts (Marcus Smart) to make a deal work.

Does Ainge take an aggressive approach with Davis, knowing that Irving could leave in free agency? I would be hesitant gutting my roster and draft assets in a Davis deal without Irving giving a strong indication he'll re-sign in free agency for multiple seasons.

Pelton: At this point, it seems unlikely that Irving is coming back no matter what happens with Davis. That means Boston must weigh the risk of losing both players in free agency in successive years. That would be devastating to the franchise's future.

Given that possibility, I'd say Tatum and the Memphis pick would be off the table for me right now. Could the Celtics still make the best offer without those two as part of a deal?

Marks: That leaves Boston with an offer of Smart, Brown and three first-round picks in June. Add Al Horford to the mix (if he opts into his contract, with the Celtics taking back Solomon Hill to make the money work) and that is a solid offer that New Orleans would need to consider. Even in the case that Horford is not in play, Smart is under contract for three seasons and Brown is on a controllable deal because he's extension-eligible this summer.

The tipping point would be how the Pelicans view the 2019 draft. Do they see value in all three picks?

The Los Angeles teams

Marks: Let's move on from the Boston part of the equation. Would you revisit talks with the Lakers now that they have the No. 4 pick, or possibly engage the Clippers?

Pelton: I think it's interesting to compare the two L.A. teams. Let's say the Clippers offer rising sophomore guards Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Landry Shamet along with forward Danilo Gallinari, who's in the last year of his contract -- a trade they could execute after using their approximately $44 million to $57 million in cap space this summer.

Does that trump a Lakers offer? I know things have changed a bit since late February, but Gilgeous-Alexander didn't get a single vote for our top 25 under 25 rankings at that time, while a pair of Lakers (Lonzo Ball and Kyle Kuzma) cracked the list and so did Brown.

Add in the fact that Gallinari wouldn't do much for a rebuilding New Orleans team and am I wrong to think that offer is weaker than what the Lakers have available, aside from any anti-Laker sentiment in the Pelicans organization? And should the Clippers be willing to go further than that and weaken the depth of their 2019-20 team?

Marks: I actually would have a hard time putting Gilgeous-Alexander in a trade. Yes, we are talking about Anthony Davis, and no player should be untouchable, but from my understanding the Clippers consider the point guard off limits in any deal. That leaves the Clippers with Shamet, Lou Williams, Montrezl Harrell and the unprotected 2021 Miami first-rounder as their most prized assets. Though there is value in all three players, none is considered a building block for the future.

Circling back to the Lakers: We know they were rebuffed at the trade deadline when they offered all their young players and expiring contracts. Does that change now having the No. 4 pick?

Vivi likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Pelton: It should, I think. First, if Tatum isn't available, I'm not sure which young prospect the Pelicans can acquire who is clearly better than the Lakers players who were reportedly offered for Davis before the deadline. Second, a legitimate concern of the Lakers' offer was that their first-round picks would likely be in the 20s if they added Davis to go with LeBron James. This year's first-round pick becoming No. 4 overall is a huge upgrade on those future picks.

Not since Cleveland in 2011 (No. 1 pick Kyrie Irving and No. 4 pick Tristan Thompson) has one team had two of the top four selections in the same draft. Though I'm not enamored by the options at No. 4 this year, that would still be an interesting starting point for a building process in New Orleans.
    What do you think of the Lakers' offer and is it even worth discussing given the way the Lakers are viewed as rivals around the NBA?

Marks: The Pelicans need to remove the hard feelings from the trade deadline and think about what is best for the organization, even if that means sending Davis to the Lakers. Griffin should help give New Orleans a fresh perspective in these trade talks.

If the Celtics aren't including Tatum or the Memphis pick, then the Lakers have the most to offer in a trade. I understand that there is some separation from the top three in this draft to where the Lakers are selecting at No. 4. However, a top-four pick, a future first and a combination of Brandon Ingram, Ball and Kuzma should have appeal for the Pelicans.

Now the question comes down to: Can New Orleans flip Ingram, Ball or Kuzma to another team and get future draft assets? Or do they view each player as a core piece for the future?

For example, would the Phoenix Suns have interest in a combination of Ball and Josh Hart in exchange for the No. 4 pick, which would go to New Orleans? The Pelicans would end up with No. 4, No. 6, Ingram and perhaps Kuzma. That would be a solid trade return for New Orleans.

However, the one thing that I wouldn't do is accommodate the Lakers on a trade timeline. The Lakers potentially could sign a max player first and then wait 30 days after the No. 4 pick signs his contract to use his salary slot in a trade. Trading Davis first would decrease room and eliminate the Lakers from adding a third max player to join James and Davis.

It may sound petty, but I would have nightmares of a superteam in Los Angeles.<br/><br/>
    The Knicks and potential wild-cards

Marks: Outside of the three teams we've discussed, does New York have appeal? Is there a wild-card team out there?

Pelton: Yeah, the Knicks have appeal, though if I were Griffin, I would also want to reroute the young players and perhaps even the pick coming from New York elsewhere in a multi-team trade. Aside from Mitchell Robinson, I'm not a believer in the Knicks' young talent. Kevin Knox, who rated poorly in my pre-draft statistical projections, subsequently backed that up by posting the second-most-negative wins above replacement total (3.0 WARP) by my player value metric. He was dead last in wins produced according to ESPN's real plus-minus (RPM).

A poor start to a 19-year-old's career hardly dooms them, but I wouldn't value Knox as highly in a trade as New York -- or another team that liked him before the draft. The same goes for the No. 3 pick. There's a substantial drop-off after the top two prospects (Zion and Ja Morant) in my projections this year, so I'd rather deal it to a team that views consensus No. 3 prospect RJ Barrett as a future star. As you know, Bobby, adding teams to a trade increases the difficulty exponentially. So my assessment of New York's prospects might make a deal a non-starter.

Are you more optimistic about the Knicks? And do you see a wild card?

Marks: The deciding factor for the Knicks' chances will be how high the Pelicans are on RJ Barrett. If the New Orleans front office feels like Barrett can become a franchise player, then the No. 3 pick along with both Dallas first-rounders (unprotected in 2021 and top-10 protected in 2023) has real appeal.

But I agree with you on Knox, Dennis Smith Jr. and Frank Ntilikina. Flipping them in another deal could be enticing, though it makes an already complicated trade more muddied -- increasing the likelihood that a deal would collapse like a deck of cards.

I would peg Denver as the lone wild-card team here. The Nuggets have the right mix of players -- Gary Harris, Torrey Craig, Will Barton, Michael Porter Jr. and Paul Millsap -- that would give the Pelicans the option of retooling instead of rebuilding. Nikola Jokic, of course, is untouchable, and I would be hesitant to offer Jamal Murray in a deal. We have seen a trend in back-to-back seasons of surprise teams taking the risk of acquiring All-Star players on expiring deals (Paul George and Kawhi Leonard). In both cases, the reward was greater than the risk, and Toronto's run within a game of the championship might change teams' thinking about acquiring an expiring contract.

Should Denver try to enter the mix?

Pelton: Despite the Leonard example, it's too unlikely Davis would re-sign in Denver to take that kind of risk with a core that can be together for years to come. To me, the wild-card option would have been appealing if an unexpected team jumped up and moved into the top four of the lottery. Well, two teams did, but they were the Lakers -- not a wild card -- and the Pelicans themselves.

Do we have a conclusion about the most desirable possible trade packages for Davis?

Marks: It comes down to the Celtics and the Lakers. If the Celtics are willing to part ways with Tatum and their best draft assets, New Orleans should take that offer. If the strength of the Boston deal is contingent on Irving, then the Lakers' package of No. 4 and Ball, Ingram and Kuzma becomes more appealing.
    Pelton: The rapid timetable for a Davis trade seems advantageous for the Lakers, who don't have to worry about a star player potentially leaving (Irving) or figuring out exactly who's going to commit in free agency this summer (like the Knicks). Hard as it might have been to believe after talks broke down in February, the Lakers now look like they could be the favorites to get Davis.

Vivi likes this.
  12. Vivi

Vivi Member

Griffin isn't taking back Lowry...and Presti is not moving George for Davis expiring in Oklahoma City. Westbrook i don't know, i don't think they move him and i don't think Griffin takes him.

The scenario i find really intriguing and not impossible is the Portland one, CJ and Nurkic are great pieces to take back for NOLA, Blazers also have picks and a couple of interesting young players (Collins, Simmons).

13. JayZ750

Pretty much agree. Principally because Russ+AD has about the same upside as their current team, which is at best a second round exit and at worse underachieving again. Not enough shooting. Whereas PG13+AD could be surprisingly good and allow Donovan to coach more, they'd be dominant defensively even more than they were at times, etc.

And at the same time, Russ+Zion is at least really entertaining.

Nurkic, CJ, Collins, Simmons and picks is one of those sneaky decent returns, assuming Nurkic is healthy. Unless I'm wrong, though, they only have their own firsts at this point going forward.

Vivi likes this.
  14. Vivi

Vivi Member

"The Nuggets have the right mix of players -- Gary Harris, Torrey Craig, Will Barton, Michael Porter Jr. and Paul Millsap"

So, a good 3&D guy, a Danuel House kind of guy, a guy they benched in the playoffs after he got paid for 4 years, a guy who has a bigger injury history than Chris Paul and Millsap expiring...ok.

rockets13champs likes this.
  15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, but that's still a great package, CJ and Nurkic are also young and locked on good deals for 2/3 more years, i just don't think the Blazers offer both, but if they do i think they have a great chance here, CJ, Nurkic, Collins and a pick would be an amazing return, tbh, too good, they might offer Nurkic, Collins, and multiple picks just like us with Capela, Hartenstein and picks, maybe CJ with Collins and picks, but i don't know if they would trade CJ...

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

Why no mention of the Rockets’ package of Clint Capela and picks for AD? :D

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

LOL. exactly

Nook likes this.
  18. Major

Major Member

OKC can't trade Westbrook or George for non-basketball reasons. It's a deadzone for free agents, and they finally got 2 big ones to stay and made a huge deal about the value of loyalty and stuff along those lines in part to criticize KD. If they trade the guys that showed loyalty to them, can you imagine those guys' reaction? Any slim chance they had at future high-level FA's would go to zero.

19. Nook

Nook Member

We have talked about it before..... and the willingness of the Rockets to get involved as a 3rd or even 4th team.

Griffin and Morey both are very open to multi team deals.

The Lakers can balk all they want about emptying the asset surplus, but they have already lost Paul George and Kawhi Leonard because they wouldn't move their assets. They cannot risk losing Anthony Davis as well.

Deuce likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

If the Celtics can get assurances from Anthony Davis, they should deal Tatum and others for Anthony Davis.