1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wizards turned down Harden for Beal and Singleton deal

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Captain Hook, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Karolik

Karolik Member

Wow, compared to their offer, ours was a treasure chest. Makes me think we could've held back a pick or two.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

The problem here is Morey was fighting against time. OKC wanted to get fair or better value for Harden, otherwise they would just wait the season out. And the longer Harden stayed in OKC the higher the chance he would cave and accept their lowball offer.

The deal had to go the way it did, and I'm happy for it because honestly this team would look so bad right now without Harden.

1 person likes this.
  3. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

I am glad the Wizards didn't get James Harden. As good as Beal is, I don't think he would be as good as James Harden because of his size. Overall, Harden has size, better shooting touch and better overall player than Beal, who is basically an scoring combo guard, similar to Monta Ellis..

4. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Yup, without Harden (who's a legit star and can attract other stars to come play in Houston), the Rockets future wouldn't be bright and they would be stuck with a lot of mid lotto picks....

5. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

So is Kmart, who is a WAY better shooter than Beal. Plus with Lamb who's also a great shooter, has size and length over Beal. Beal is another undersized SG trying to compete with bigger players.

Even though Beal is the 3rd overall pick, Lamb isn't that much different than Beal. Beal was really highly recruited in HS but he kind of fell off a little bit in college. But overall, Lamb has a higher ceiling than Beal simply because Lamb has size, length, athleticism and a nice shooting touch.

6. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

Our deal was much better.

Wizards were definitely dumb for not accepting the deal. However, I question whether the deal was actually for Beal or for the #3 pick.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not really. Think about how hard it has been for HOU to trade up to a top 3 or 5 pick in recent years despite Morey's best effort. Most thought it was gonna be a 8th or 10th overall pick at best.

Beal, a newly selected 3rd overall pick, was very valuable.

The Rockets deal looks better now because of how bad Toronto has been, a surprise even to Morey and Presti, I think. Also, the WAS deal looks worse because Beal has played relatively badly so far-- but he's only a rookie, many very good players do not immediately look great in month 1 of their careers.

8. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

Thank God you aren't a GM. Yikes.

9. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

One of the picks was from Dallas which is top 20 protected, excellent insight guy.

10. choujie

choujie Member

Can't blame them. They had the Arenas experience.

11. arjun

arjun Member

THANK GOD...oh wait no...THANK THE WIZARDS!

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

*Waiting for LOF's to chime in on how they wish the Wizards took the deal*

13. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

You're sad. The reality is all those fake Harden fans like FearTheBeardJH are nowhere to be found on a news relating Harden. They are only here on clutchfans to troll and be LOH by pretending to be Rockets/Harden fans.

And you're not better than them for trying to start this crap.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

I call total BS on this. There was no way Presti would choose that deal over Houston's for the fact that we had Kevin Martin, a player in most trades would not be worth much. The Wizards trade would've left them needing to develop Beal very fast for contention this year. Unlikely they make that huge risk when they had an option to continue contending this year, and cheap piece(s) for the future. If the Wizards had a semi-decent wing player to go along with Beal, then I'd buy the trade from the Thunder perspective.

15. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I'm sure the Wizards would've had to include a draft pick or two there...

I don't watch college ball, so I can't comment on the potential of Beal versus the potential of Lamb - but the Rockets offer give OKC a way better immediate return in Martin plus a guy to develop for the future.

I really don't understand the Wizards here. A dull team like that should be desperate for some excitement - and no way a star player just signs there. With Harden you get better, you get way more media attention and get a young star that might attract other stars (since you also got Wall on the team, all you really need is a quality big). If its because of the cap - well a good GM should find ways to unload some quality but expensive players.

But that just shows: Morey understands the position of the smaller teams and is willing to gamble (especially when a 23 year old star is available) - while lots of other teams are not.

16. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Unless Hoopshype has the salaries wrong, I am not sure why they were worried about luxury tax concerns. They would be still be under next year, and then Ariza and Okafor come off the books, clearing even more space. :confused:

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Chris Singleton? Just kidding I honestly have no idea who that guy is.

You're looking at in hindsight, based on the article Presti looked at the Wiz first before Houston and OKC came up with a framework for the deal. Before Jeremy Lamb blew up in SL and before Beal started shooting bricks there were talks that Beal might end up the 2nd best player in the entire draft, he was getting D-Wade comparisons because of his playing style, high motor and similar "alpha dog" personality.

OKC wants to contend but their window for contention is like 10+ years, if you're Presti and relying just on scouting reports getting Dwade 2.0 is so much better than Lamb (who looked dumb as dirt in interviews), Kmart (who kept whining about PT and how the coaching staff was using him wrong) and a lotto pick from a team that just added a top 5 rookie and Lowry.

18. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

The last time Grunfeld dealt a top 5 pick it turned out to be Ricky Rubio, so that might have caused some major reluctance to do it again...

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Oh I'm not a LOH. I love Jeremy Lin.

I just know the reality of many LOF's.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I have not seen enough of Beal, but it sounds like Washington screwed up. That team is a mess. Huge salary obligations without players to show for it. Wall hasn't developed. Nene is a nice player. Okafor was a nice player.