1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With the first pick in the 2002 NFL draft...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by cheeseman, Sep 29, 2001.

1. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

Since there is not really a clear cut #1 pic, I'd rather trade down for maybe two later first rounders or a bunch of 2nd and 3rd round picks...

2. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Option would get killed in the NFL. With the speed and power of linebackers in the NFL, the option would get nothing. Lou Holtz tried that with the Jets back when he coached them, and it was an unmitigated disaster.

3. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Pick Foster? They guy who fumbled like 4 times and ran for 60 some yards vs the Buckeyes? Sure go ahead and take him. My Cowboys who will have the 2nd pick would love that! :)
    McKinnie looks good, but I think if Simms comes out that you have to take him. A franchise QB only comes around so often.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

yeah, because lord knows the cowboys will pick the right guy.

5. davo

davo Contributing Member

Could not agree more. Even if there is a standout No.1 pick, I say trade it - just means you will get more for it. Build a strong offensive line and defense, and THEN worry about position players. There is always a couple of journeyman QBs floating around, and the salary cap means that a few good free agents become available every year.

6. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Who plays defensive tackle for McNeese State? With Jones' propensity at finding "diamonds in the rough," one of those guys will be Dallas' #1 pick.

7. TexasG

TexasG Member

If I were drafting for Houston I would definately take Simms if he's available. If he's not then I would trade down, and take a stud O-Lineman, and shoot for Eli Manning the next year. The majority of teams that make it to the Super Bowl do so with a franchise QB.

As for taking a running back, I wouldn't suggest it. Especially that one from UCLA. Name one RB from UCLA that has made a huge impact on the NFL.