1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With the 1st Pick the Toronto Raptors Select.....

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Lil Pun, May 23, 2006.

1. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

i am thinking adam morrison or rudy gay. :)

2. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

#8 for #12 and #15? is that fair? :rolleyes:

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

How about Chris Paul saying that he hoped the Hornets could move up... do you think he was privy to some FO chat?

How about 8 and 32 for 12, 15, and PJ Brown or someone?

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Well I read that ONE workout report and i was in love (for Toronto's sake)... seems like he has more upside than anyone else I know about (and I don't know much about Andrea).

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They also have J.R. Smith. I don't know that we could get both picks for a move up of only 4 slots. I wouldn't be too upset if we moved 8 for 15+Smith (who fits neatly into our smaller trade exception).

when dealing with moves of a few spots, I can't think of all that many examples. We trade 13, 18, and 23 for #7 (in a draft most people only considered went that deep, though). Boston traded 16 and 20 for 13 and 27.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Nikestrad,who would you take if we could get J.R. Smith along with the 15th pick for the 8th? I personally would like to see if Mardy Collins can fit as a tall backup PG for us but I think he will go between the 10th to 14th pick.

7. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I have heard his name mentioned quite a bit around here. Has he fallen out of favor in NOK?

8. dream2franchise

He and Byron Scott just don't get along. Scott says he has an attitude problem and doesn't listen to him. NO actually tried to trade him to SA for Brent Barry but it fell through.

This means he can be had, and maybe not for much. For the record, JR says he is working hard on improving his game in the offseason. He looks hungry and definately has potential as more than just a sky-walker.

If you have a search function, there is an thread/article about this very situation..a good read.

9. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

I was more running with Clutch's idea of if we want Redick. I think that's an ok spot to take him or maybe Maurice Ager. I think if you make that trade, it's under the idea that you're throwing pretty much max MLE at Mike James from day 1. James is ours if we offer him enough money, and that will depend on what direction we want to go.

Yao/Deke/2nd rounder?
    Howard/Swift/Hayes?
    McGrady/Smith/Bogans?/Bowen
    James/Redick/Head
    Alston/(James)/(Head)/(Sura?)

We'd also have our 2nd round pick to use on either a backup big or a backup point, and a 4.2 mill trade exception at our disposal. Counting Hayes, Bogans, the 2nd rounder, and Sura, that's a full 15 man roster.

Looking at this lineup, it makes us much better shooting; James and Redick especially potent additions, but even Smith has a shooter's pedigree. I put James at the 2 because I doubt either Alston or James comes off the bench for Redick or Head- and Dallas has been successful with Harris/Terry together. It still leaves a little to be desired defensively on the bigger twos, but with a healthy McGrady, Smith, and Bogans, that's at least 3 guys who can guard the bigger perimeter athletes as opposed to one in 04/05 (McGrady) and one in 05/06 (Bogans).

10. dream2franchise

I like the depth at the 1,2,3 spot. But if Juwan is still our starting PF next season i will cry.

I'd start Smith at the two, backed up by Redick. And interchange Alston/James at PG depending on matchups. Bogans could back up T-Mac.

Should be an interesting off season.

11. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

He really does need to work on his game. I was really high on him until I got a look at some more footage of his play. He Floats. A lot. He's got athleticism to burn, but he constantly hangs out at the 3 pt line. He doesn't penetrate or move off the ball much (that might have to do somewhat with the Hornets offensive gameplan).

Right now, he's basically a spot up shooter than can finish on the break. Not a terrible combination, but not really anything special. I guess that's why he's on the trading block in the first place. I mean if he was Jason Richardson Jr like his talent would indicate, Byron Scott and managment would figure out a way to make it work.

12. dream2franchise

I'll have to take your word for it as i've never seen him play. Nothing more frustrating than wasted talent.

But like i said the kid seems hungry, sometimes all a player needs is a second chance.

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

If the Raptors don't pick LaMarcus Aldridge, I'll drop 20 bucks in the tip jar.

1. They need a center.

2. Both LaMarcus Aldridge and Chris Bosh are from Dallas.

3. Chris Bosh loves LaMarcus Aldridge. He wants to marry him.

4. Chris Bosh is the face of the Toronto Raptors.

Chris Bosh will get an early Christmas present in June and will be all grateful and ready to re-sign with the Raptors when the time comes.

#33 Williamson, May 24, 2006
    Last edited: May 24, 2006
  14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

...Adam Morrison

Colangelo is going to use the same blueprint he used in PHO. It's probably the reason he is bringing in a Euro coach. Aldridge would be a solid pick but he isn't a C, he plays a lot like Bosh (not as good obviously).

If Toronto can pick up a good PG in the offseason, they could be a good young team. Move Bosh to C, Charlie V to PF, Morrison at SF, Peterson at SG, and a PG that can run a break

15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Damn it. That makes a lot of sense! I'm still sticking to my Aldridge bet though! Also, could you clarify why Aldridge isn't a center? I didn't watch any UT games so I'm not very familiar with his game. I just know he's 7 foot and 245 and played center for UT. He obviously would need to put on at least ten or twenty pounds, but that's done easily enough. Is he launching three's ala KG? I was under the impression he was a back to the basket type guy.

16. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

I agree somewhat with gucci's reasoning, though I'm waiting to see the Toronto-Bargnani connection. I just don't know enough about the guy to say.

I disagree though on his assessment of Aldridge. I think Aldridge can put on the weight to be a center (he progressed so much this year), and he has pretty much a classic center post game. I see the Bosh comparisons, but I don't agree - Bosh is much more explosive and likes to play facing up, while LaMarcus plays more of an under control pivot game. I think they're very similar in terms of rebounding, shotblocking, and running the floor, just nearly opposites different in the half-court set.

I'm very high on Aldridge, personally. I also think a front line of Aldridge-Bosh-CharlieV would be devastatingly long, athletic, and productive.

gucci - Where do you think this puts Toronto on their decision regarding Mike James?

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

I can see Toronto making Aldridge the no.1 pick. That would be an awesome frontcourt for them to have.

Interesting that Marcus Williams is now considered one of the top picks.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Ya know initially I thought it would be a "no brainer" for Toronto to pick Aldridge with the #1 pick. But bringing up the point that Colangelo might want to make the Raptors more like the Suns, perhaps moving Bosh to C and taking Morrison/Bargani #1 would give them a much "quicker" team.

But it would be tough to give up on a Aldridge, Bosh, CV front line! Talk about long!

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I should have posted that I think Aldridge is more of a PF than a C. He definitely has the size to play C, but he has to put on weight. Aldridge actually played PF for UT w/ Buckman at C.

NIKE's assessment of Aldridge is right on. The reason I think he is better suited at PF is because he has a lot of skill away from the basket. His jumpshot has improved tremendously over the past season and should continue to get better. He has a nice post game but he really didn't use it until later in the season and in the tourney.

Not sure, but I remember reading that Colangelo was being very careful with how he commented on MJ's comments (how he wanted shorter, bigger deals). MJ's ability to shoot, score, and run the break would fit in nicely w/ a running team. But I can also see Colangelo wanting a pass-first PG like Nash, someone to distribute the ball. MJ is a SG in a PG's body.

20. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

I'd compare Aldridge's offensive game to "Tim Duncan times 0.58".

I've seen nearly every game this guy's played, and it just feels to me like the strengths are in most of the same areas.

And Tim Duncan is a center if I ever saw one.

Marcus Camby would be more of a realistic comparison overall though.