1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With the 14th pick in the 2012 NBA Draft..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Apr 26, 2012.

?

The Houston Rockets Select..

1. Terrence Ross

15 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. Meyers Leonard

46 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. Terrence Jones

18 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. John Henson

20 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. Austin Rivers

121 vote(s)
    41.2%
  6. Dimian Lillard

13 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. Arnett Moultrie

13 vote(s)
    4.4%
  8. Moe Harkless

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  9. Royce White

13 vote(s)
    4.4%
  10. Others

34 vote(s)
    11.6%
  1. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

We have to trade up. 14 and 16 wont cut it unless a surprise flurry of horrible pick ahead of us happens.

2. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

every time i think of the draft i keep thinking were gonna get austin rivers

3. JD88

JD88 Member

They're usually much better when they willingly bang. Otherwise it just seems like they don't want it enough, feel me?

Th ones who really want it the most bang non stop.

1 person likes this.
  4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Great post....

Fantastic reply...

JD88 thanks for joinin the boards welcome to the CF... but every year we seem to have multiple picks and/or assests that we try to trade up with but to no avail...

I would love to trade both #14/#16 as well as dal1st to get in the 5-8 range for a potential beal/barnes/drummond... (only like beal to be honest)...

But honestly what i see potentially happening (and would like) is us trading dal1st and #14 to move into the 8-10 range to draft jones/zeller/henson/sullinger... than i can see either of the following two scenarios to happen a) we draft at 16 lets say lamb/rivers/wrotten/ross/white and than buy a 2nd rd pick for who knows who or b) we trade down and pick up an extra second and draft a white/moultrie/teague/d.lamb or if were lucky c) draft down to boston for picks #21/#22 and draft a couple of players...

5. BigMaloe

Also: my favorite scenario would be to trade lowry/kmart/dalembert/#14 to portland for picks #6/#11... turn around trade #6/#11 to get into 2-4 range to get any robinson/mkg/beal...

I believe davis is the only BeAsT of the draft... i see the third above as stars but not superstars kinda like josh smith and/or monta ellis type fringe/star players...

6. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

It doesn't matter who we get, because he will be a fan favorite for this upcoming year.... Which means he wont see the floor until Game 80

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It just doesn't make any sense to trade two low lottery picks for one high lottery pick in a deep draft.

8. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

I hope who ever we get doesn't end up like Marcus Morris and stay on the bench the whole season

9. BigMaloe

You wouldnt go back and trade two/three/four picks #6/#11(#14/#16) to move up and draft say kevin love who went four(i believe)...??

Sure its a deep draft... but not in terms of star players but more in terms of quality players... most likely alot less busts and alot more solid starters... with the same amount of star quality at the top... ill take a young star over two solid starters...

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

It would be really hard to move into the top-5, or basically the 2nd tier of players after Davis. The 7-10 range is probably where they can reach.

IIRC, in the 1998 draft when the Rockets had 14, 16, and 18, supposedly they rejected a trade that would've gotten them a top-10 pick. That was the draft when Dirk went #9 and Pierce went #10. 3 years later, they did end up trading 13, 18, and 23 for pick 7. That was the year when Eddie Griffin fell to the Rockets. The Rockets this year are in a similar situation. They only have 2 1st rounders, but there's also Lowry and Dallas' pick in their back pocket they can use.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

WTF:eek::eek::eek:!!! No way!!! Do you know who was in that draft after Love? In order from 6-19:

Gallinari
    Eric Gordon
    Joe Alexander
    DJ Augustin
    B. Lopez
    J. Bayless
    J. Thompson
    B. Rush
    A. Randolph
    R. Lopez
    M. Speights
    R. Hibbert
    J. McGee
    JJ Hickson

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Kevin is the best, he is a Top 10 player right now.
    Gallo, EGordon are consolation prize

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Come on Walker. Stop playing. A consolation prize(Gordon) currently about to be offered the max by some team?
    Also, you mean to tell me that you would trade what could potentially be Gallinari(6?)or Gordon(6?), Rush(11), Hibbert(14) and Hickson(16) for Kevin Love(5)????? You're fired!!!!

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Who the heck is Rush? Hickson? Those are journey men at best.

Gallo and Gordon.... borderline allstars......
    Kevin is a special offensive player and elite rebounder....who can space the floor, and score inside. The only thing is his D, average or below average.

You get Kevin mostly because of the rebounds.... He is at the top.

15. Garner

Garner Member

This is top heavy, not a deep draft.

What made this draft deep was a bunch of prospective 2011 lotto picks returned for an additional season. However, none of those guys (I'm looking at you Harrison Barnes as Drummond) really improved. Some of what made them such interesting prospects faded with their additional repeat season.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This is a deep draft. Not deep with Lebrons, Wades or Kobes, but deep with the Milsaps, K.Martins, Grangers and D. Jordans of the NBA.

17. JD88

JD88 Member

Well IMO, these are the only guys worth trading up for...

Davis, MKG, Beal, Lamb.

If we can't land one of those 4, then best case scenario you take a Sullinger/Moultrie/Leonard with the #14 pick (preferably Sully if he Dallas that low but Leonard is a fantastic player). That gets us a quality big man down low.

Also an option is Lillard. He would be worth every bit of the 14 pick, and then we use #16 to grab any of those players. He loves to score big numbers, loves to take big shots out around 26 feet, shot mid 40s from behind the arc. Him and Martin would be a nice duo.

A combination of Lillard/Leonard would make me very happy.

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I don't like Sully. He reminds me of Scola 6 years ago. Not a bad thing. Crafty, banger, some range, can dribble drive in a straight line. But not athletic, average quickness, can't jump well etc.

I am OK with everyone else you mentioned.

19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

And if Lamb drops any more that 4 slots lower than Beal I think you have to try to go get him. They seem to have fairly equivalent skills and athleticism.

20. ashiin

ashiin Member

We're obviously getting Anthony Davis.