1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With the 14th pick in the 2010 NBA Draft the Houston Rockets select

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BEAT LA, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

is JJ Reddick in the draft this year?

1 person likes this.
  2. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Well Morey is more effective in the later draft picks, because not many GM's can find gems that late in the draft. By picking in the lottery (albeit the last lottery place of 14), he will be picking among players that other GM's would have picked anyway.

So I think we should buy the Hawks pick because Morey can turn it into gold.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I've said it before, how many years are we going to have rotation players that are developing, we already have a bunch already (Hill, Budinger, Taylor, even Lowry/Brooks to a smaller degree).

How many championship teams do that?

I would trade the 14th pick for a sure thing.

4. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

The fact that we have a developing team, should mean we compliment those young players with more young players. We jsut need to keep our younger players and then wait till we blow up like the Thunder, or even the Blazers to a lesser extent.

We already have great vets to mentor the young people. If we were to keep Scola till the end of his career, we would be a great teacher and vet. However, maybe he is looking for bigger money.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

You have to if you can get it, especially at that price.

Maybe use ours in a trade then pick the best big man left at 24?

6. dcalvo

dcalvo Member

Are you talking about trading for a player already in the league who's a guaranteed producer or trading up for a higher pick? Very few rookies produce right away, certainly not on teams looking to compete for a championship.

7. jedicro

jedicro Member

Are you asking if consistently drafting and developing young talent is conducive to success?

Umm....

8. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

No, no, no.

We have been fixated on winning NOW for quite a while. At this point, the only reason for that is Yao (who isn't that dependable, anyhow), but our burgeoning overall talent is a bigger issue now. If we can only go one way, I'd say forget winning now, and focus on accumulating mass talent.

Fortunately, we don't have to sacrifice the future for now. Let's try to add a hot FA, plus move up in the draft (which will give us somebody that contributes in the 2011 playoffs). We'll still be in good shape for the future, as long as we can keep from letting several bad contracts bog us down. DM seems to be very good at avoiding that.

9. i3artow i3aller

Renardo Sidney is the steal to be had in this year's draft. He is the ultimate diamond in the rough, but does come with some baggage. A great many scouts actually had him rated higher than Kentucky's John Wall, and had he played this season he would be a surefire top five pick. Sidney is the definition of a match-up nightmare. Renardo is 6'10 275lbs and has a better tool set than your local hardware store.

Feathery Soft Jumper
    Advanced Ball Handling
    Feel 4 The Game/Court VIsion
    Shotblocking
    Rebounding
    3 Point Potential
    Advanced Post Moves
    Hyper Athletic

After Reebok bought his family a house and the NCAA subsequently banning him for all of this past year as well as much of this upcoming season, it appears that Renardo will be entering the 2010 draft. Minor red flags have this potential lottery pick falling in the draft and he could be had for a late first or early second round pick. We all know how good Houston is at doing their homework and I hope that we can swing a deal and straight up rob this draft like only Morey knows how.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/renardo-sidney

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrQ_iE3kR7A

10. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

11. parmesh

parmesh Member

Morey's gonna make a move. Count on it. We ain't picking #14.

12. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

92nd post and I don't think anyone guessed it right.

13. Raven

Raven Member

Your post has the mark of the beast. He he.

Seriously, the 14th pick won't be worth much. Better for Morey to draft a guy, develop him for a couple of seasons, and then packing him in a trade for a much better player. I think that's how Morey prefers to roll, and it's an excellent strategy.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I just don't see the championship teams (Lakers/Magic/Cavs/Celtics) doing it with more than one or two developing players in the rotation.

15. ruhroh

ruhroh Member

Huh? Well you can't exactly say that since you don't know what's going to happen and I'm pretty sure even Morey doesn't exactly know what he is going to do on draft day yet lol :)

16. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Hassan Whiteside.... 7'0" shot blocking big man with nice low post move. 20 years old. Time to develop behind Yao.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I say don't trade our 14th pick, but still purchase the 24th. That way we have 2 1st rd. picks or one 1st and one early 2nd. We currently have the talent and future picks to make a trade happen without having to give up this years pick. That 14th pick is very important because this years draft is the best chance that we have to acquire the young back-up center that, IMO, is desperately needed. With numbers 14 and 24, we can't miss.

18. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Celtics: Jefferson, Ryan Gomes,Gerald Green= Garnett(accumulate and develop young rotation players, then upgrade them like Landry for Martin or 3 for Garnett)Tony Allen, Rajon Rondo, Glen "Big Baby" Davis

Spurs: Ginobili, Parker, Beno Udrih, Ian Mahinmi, George Hill, Dejuan Blair

Trailblazers: whole roster almost

On the opposite spectrum, you have the Isiah/Walsh Knicks who trade away their draft picks and rookies every other year.(League prevents trades of 2 consecutive draft picks). They have no young drafted talent of their own, except for Gallinari.

19. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Besides NY, I forgot about the Lakers. Lakers usually don't develop young talent not even for trades.

20. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

well give us the "right" guess, what do you think the rockets will do with that draft pick?