1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With Sengun Down It’s Time for Green and Smith to Step Up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by a time to chill, Mar 11, 2024.

1. a time to chill

It sucks that Sengun’s injury comes at a time when the Rockets were on the verge of going on a run, but it shouldn’t be used as an excuse to relax expectations for the team for the rest of the season.

We still have two supposed stars left in the starting lineup in Green and Smith supported by good vets, so I’m using the remaining games to evaluate whether they can pick up Sengun’s offensive slack and keep this team on track to finishing the season strong. It’s time for either Green or Smith to step up and grab the mantle of #1 offensive option.

2. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

You mean Jeff Green right?

HardenReturns likes this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Green will do it naturally no issue but that’s not Jabari’s role or skill set at all. I think Jabari will get a lot more minutes at the 5 and we’ll see a decent bump in his production since he’ll be at a speed/dribbling advantage but nothing major should be expected. Don’t create a test someone has no chance of passing, that’s just punishing someone in advance for no reason.

We have to look more towards a group effort from Jeff, Jock, Cam and Amen as well. I think this team has the character to put forth a valiant effort.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  4. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

I just want to hear a sensible explanation as to why we can’t put Jabari in the post? The summer league games weren’t that long ago and Jabari tore it up with his turnaround jumper and basically pulling up on everyone because of his high release. He was putting up 30 a game so I KNOW he’s capable. There’s no excuse to have him camped out on the 3pt line now that Sengun is out.

I love uncle Jeff but he CANNOT be our center. Bari was the 3rd pick and part of the responsibility falls on him.

Put Bari in the post, have Fvv throwing the entry pass, and tell him to hit that baby turnaround on whoever is guarding him. He has a high release point and he’s nearly 7’ tall.

Dobbizzle and a time to chill like this.
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Jabari was drafted as an off ball threat at #3.

I’m sure we can post him a little more but in general when the opponents are stronger then they can shake your shot. It’s easier in summer league because they’re shorter and weaker. In the NBA Bari is not strong enough to bump his guy and maintain his balance perfectly. Have you not noticed there are no skinny post players? Even Nowitzki was useless there till his prime. The league allows the most physical defense in the post.

You guys are circling like vultures around who you want to blame for your lack of acceptance that we are now a worse team that will likely win fewer games no matter where anyone was drafted. Once a player is a known commodity their draft position is irrelevant. You wouldn’t accept Sengun playing like an average 16th pick so don’t expect Jabari to play like someone you wish we could have drafted. Right now Jabari is a jump shooter who plays really good switchable defense and decent rebounder. Till next season, anything he does beyond that is a bonus and not a responsibility. Can’t have it both ways.

6. a time to chill

I wonder what the starting lineup will be against the Spurs. I think they insert Landale into it with Jeff Green and Jabari being staggered to backup. It would’ve been nice if Stone had went after a free agent like Biyombo to get more depth at the position when he had the chance.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  7. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Need to sign Nerlens Noel for the remainder of the season

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

9. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I mean it’s been time for them to step up all season. We’ll see if they can actually do it consistently.

10. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

C: Smith, Landale
    PF: Brooks, Jeff Green
    SF: Thompson, Tate
    SG: Jalen Green, Whitmore
    PG: VanVleet, Holiday

11. Ancient Moabite

With the unfortunate loss of AS, the Rockets may be wise to put Bari on the block for that turnaround J more now with the absence of their low post hub

Maybe even Cam can get his bully ball game going from few post ups, it will be by committee but all players will have to step up

20/10 (with like 5/6 dimes) player is a big loss for any team, those are all star caliber numbers

Good thing about this team for most part is that they play hard and are not scared to mix it up

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'd rather shorten the rotation:
    C: Smith, Landale, Green
    PF: Brooks, Green, Smith
    SF: Amen, Brooks, Cam
    SG: Jalen, Cam
    Pg: FVV, Jalen, Amen

Basically take out Tate and Holiday.

BaselineFade likes this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm just glad this injury didn't take place at this point of a season where we had actual hopes and a legitimate shot of making the playoffs.

It's devastating enough in a growth year, but would have killed any shot of doing damage in the playoffs.

14. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

The thing im most of afraid of is Brooks feeling like he has to step up and do more. That was the first thought that went through my head after the Sengun injury.

Strawberry Gum likes this.
  15. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I think it's fair to say there's a big opportunity for any one of Jalen, Jabari, Amen or Cam to assert themselves over the rest of the season. I'm dubious anybody will. If I was to hazard a guess I'd say Cam and Jalen carry the scoring load (some nights one or the other will go off, others they both will, others noone will) with Amen having some big games but probably not as a scorer. I'd be surprised from Jabari tbh, maybe next year, but right now he doesn't look like a 1st or 2nd option (despite the promise of summer league.)

16. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I think with Alpi down, we need to really see what we have in Jalen if the offense was geared towards him, I know he had no place to say it publicly that he was being misused, but we should see if he is right now that we have less at risk with Alpi sidelined. I did not pay attention to his comment because he has been pretty bad, and seemed like he was just looking to place blame, but when Cam mentioned the same thing in a much more mature and professional way (I hope this says something for a 19 year old to know how to word things in the media better) by saying they have some athletes that can run and they should use it to their advantage, that made me think there may be some truth to the offense needing to play the the rosters strength.

This could be a win win for the team. If Jalen turn it up and we think we can integrate him into our full roster we hold onto him, if not we can really showcase what a team around Jalen could look like for potential trade partners.

17. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I wonder how any of our guys really take that next step to be considered an "option" at all. Right now we have only run designed plays for Alpi, and some designed plays for Amen to get an open dunk, but its more so a play for his position not him specifically. I am hoping the silver lining in Alpi's injury will be we get to see who our second option is going to be for next year (or they end up being the first option if we are lucky enough to have a player on our roster like that), and maybe they spend some time in the offseason thinking about a system that benefits that person and Alpi.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  18. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

No objections to a shorter rotation. Not like the Rockets can realistically make the play-in plus this gives more game reps to the rookies.

C: Bari (20), Jock (15), Jeff (8)
    PF: Dillon (20), Bari (15), Jeff (8)
    SF: Amen (20), Dillon (10), Cam (14)
    SG: Jalen (34), Cam (14)
    PG: Fred (34), Amen (14)

fchowd0311 likes this.
  19. PeppermintCandy

Honestly, I don't know what to expect from the rest of the season.

Yeah, it could be a good opportunity for the other players to step up. And except for Brooks, everyone left on the roster seems relatively good health-wise.

But Senhub has played such a huge role this season. Not having him for the remaining games is going to be a major adjustment for all the players, and things may get real ugly at times.

Glass half full, it'll give Udoka a chance to get creative with lineups and put the players in new situations.

20. Juxtaposed Jolt

"With the best player on the team out, the rest of the players have to be better than they are for us to win more games."

@Os Trigonum IDIOT?