1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With 9 Players Should We Recall Cannan & Covington?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Voice of Aus, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Is it time to Recall Canaan and Covington from the Vipers?

The Vipers have started off HOT! 133ppg hot to be exact breaking all types of records including most threes in a game and then nearly breaking it agains the game after. i love the vipers but this tweet got me thinking
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>If Parsons is out, Rockets will be down to nine players in uniform.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/408276484793450496">December 4, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    So should the rockets recall their two young studs this early to either play or just be insurance if something bad happens (or if we blew out someone).

lets look at how they are actually trending

All stats are after 6 games as of 12/4/2013
    Canaan

[​IMG]

20 points, 10 assits, 40% on threes nice little box score. Canaan has been a huge suprise to me since we missed him in summerleague and only limited spots in preseason. his offence rating of just a shade under 117 is huge for a guy playing 36 minutes a game. also note due to the vipers extreme (and i mean extreme for those who havent watched the vipers play) pace of 115 for example jermeny Lin's pace is 100.25

[​IMG]

Canaan shot chart is also Morey like. DONT SHOOT LONG TWOS. i thikn with more time and a larger sample size those reds will atleast turn to yellow.

Conclusion: I realise we are stacked with pg's but with only 9 guys on this roster fit i can see the positives with having a caanan on the bench, he has really impressed me with his confidence and ability to attack. IMO BRING HIM UP MOREY for a stint

Covington

[​IMG]

Covington reminds me of Jones in that he fills the stat sheet up and nobody realises at all. you look down and he has a double double with some steals and blocks thrown in.

Covington has also produced a high OFFrating like Canaan (115.3) however surprisingly to me he is only connecting on 2 of his 6 attepmts from deep for 30%.

[​IMG]

again like Canaan their is no mid range game. only 3 shots in the 5 games he has played in. im expecting his shot to come like every other viper seems to be shooting it. his 56% from the key is also a positive for cov.

Conclusion: if i had to pick between Canaan and Cov on who is ready right now i would choose Caanan but Cov's ability to play multiple positions could make him more valuable going forward. i would only bring him up to play junk time and wouldnt want him stealing minutes away from our current rotation.

Let me know what you guys think?

Also hes a bonus player to watch ( my boy)
    TROY DANIELS
    [​IMG]

#1 Voice of Aus, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  2. Bill Worrell

Bill Worrell Member

Im soo ready to see the Rooks in Action

[​IMG]

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Canaan seems the better prospect, but I don't know if we need him while we have Aaron Brooks. Covington would fit better right now. But I'd bring them both up. Why not? The Rockets have never been shy about sending players to and from RGV.

Also - When someone starts a thread, it's very easy to see their name. It will be beside the OP and will be under the thread title when viewing the forum. Not sure why you add it to the thread title. First time I saw that I thought it was some statistical category I'd never heard of, because I didn't think someone would add their moniker to a thread title. Seeing it again, I still don't understand the motivation behind it.

4. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Yeah it's weird that after the past couple of years morey has recalled and sent back prospects and right now when we only have 9 guys that he isn't doing it. Perhaps after tommorows viper game and they have days to rest morey mint do it but it's bugging me why he isn't commenting on it.

Also the VOA thing is just something I have done on my threads like someo of the older CF'ers do after they post I just do it on threads. I'll take it down though.

1 person likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

9 players? McHale will just go with a 7 man rotation. :grin:

6. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

I would love to see the rookies get called up. But what's the point, you know McHale barely stretches the bench anyway.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Unfortunately, with the guys that are missing, neither of these guys really replace much of anything those injured guys bring. They just add depth that probably wont make much of an impact unless one of them really bring anything to the defensive end.

Covington is a guy I really wanted to see what he could do on the defensive end, and to show me some versatility other than just shooting the 3 ball. At this point he really just gives duplication to what Garcia does. Id trust Garcia more with defense and ball handling.

Canaan looks to be the scorer we all thought he would be, but not sure he really does much to spark the overall team offense. Perimeter defense... not sure. Looks solid but nothing has really stood out to me yet.

Other guys off the bench need to get good looks. If he's brought up, that probably just supplants minutes that Brooks could have. Brooks is probably better at this stage of taking quality shots, and breaking down the defense by getting in the lane.

So even with injuries I really dont see them getting PT right this second. However if there are any other injuries especially with Casspi/Garcia/Brooks, they need to be ready to go ASAP. Their number could be called very soon.

8. Normalus

Normalus Member

Canaan > Covington?

[​IMG]

Covington is more versatile player, basketball is not about scoring and we completely don't need that. His defense is much better, he can steal the ball, block shots and finish strong.

9. Lihao

Lihao Member

i can't believe you didn't spell Canaan correctly even once in your post :grin:

Even if we call them up , they won't get any minutes other than garbage time . They'll be at the end of the bench together with Dmo .

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The point, as pointed out by the OP, is depth in case of emergency. They pointedly should not get off the bench, but to the point, they should be on it.

11. Remii

Remii Member

I like Covington... Could have an extra defensive presence right in our own backyard...

And as far as Canaan (Morey's 3rd drafted pet project behind Parsons and TJ) _ Bev and or Lin better watch their backs and step it up if he keeps improving... I actually think Canaan is starting off slow because of the injury he had... I'm excited about this kid...

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

On certain nights, we need him because we have Aaron Brooks.

13. torocan

torocan Member

You mean we aren't already on a 7 man rotation most nights? :eek:

14. yummyhawtsauce

rofl. I don't why these played would see much play - that would be going super small with PG stacked already. Dmo should see some playing time though, and hopefully more from Tjones...i hate the small ball line up last time. bev/brooks/harden/howard/casspi. Did anyone play defense in this lineup? Probably only Bev.

15. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

maybe covington. I really don't see the need for Canaan unless we were to lose harden again which would result in brooks and Beverley being on the court together a lot more often.

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Remember just because we're recalling both don't mean we are using both. Canaan would be a nice safety net incase Bev or Brooks gets hurt. Covington might actually get some playing time.

17. Remii

Remii Member

Fixed;)

18. CertifiedTroll

Wouldn't mind testing Troy Daniel's too see if his hot shooting carries up to our level for a few minutes. Most likely Covington is the most ready to play on the NBA level for a few monitored minutes.

19. dje243

dje243 Member

RGV is stacked you can bet that two or three of the guys on that team will be rotational players soon enough.

20. Remii

Remii Member

Dang sure could have probably used Canaan the other night... Because if Beverley isn't shutting down his man and if Brooks isn't hitting his shots _ those dudes are kind of useless. ...