1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Winning in Portland by stopping Aldridge?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hayesfan, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

There isn't a game thread up yet, but I wanted to start this discussion.

Much of Portland's recent success is attributed to Lamarcus Aldridge playing very well in the absence of Brandon Roy. (Andre Miller has been playing well also, but I'm more concerned with the big guys)

Typically in the past when he started going off on us we put Chuck on him to slow him down.

My discussion is, do you have Scola guard him? And let him get his and try to stop everyone else? Or do you try to get Hill and Patrick up on him and attempt to stop him? Then what do you do about Camby on the boards.

What do yall think? Anyone want to play Nostrodamus with coach's plans?

2. kingjosh

kingjosh Member

Aldridge seems to be one of those pf's that always burn scola (long, faceup forqards with range). On the other hand, i think it would be an ideal matchup for jefferies.

3. rocketman5803

rocketman5803 Member

He is tough though, I don't think he needs to be taken care of like Kobe or LeBron.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

LMA torches Scola everytime we play.

Hayes usually stops him :confused:

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It would...but Jeffries and Ish are the every game bench warmers for the team. I say activate Jared at least, it's not like we actually play Williams so why give the guy false hope by activating him every game lol.

6. il italiano

il italiano Member

do not forget about wesley matthews...

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Hill has surprised me defensively one on one guarding opposing bigs; I think he will be fine guarding LA. When he inevitably picks up his 2 fouls I don't think any special lineup/matchup change is needed; Adelman will stick to his rotations

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

JJ was activated last game, Ish was the one inactive. Williams still destined to ride the pine.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Ah okay. Well I guess the best strategy is to let Aldridge get his really. I'm more worried about the random perimeter player exploding for 30 points on either Martin or Budinger.

10. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

I agree. Wesley Matthews has been lighting it up lately and I wouldnt be surprised if he'll have a good game against us. Hopefully Rick puts Battier on him and Scola does a decent job against Aldridge.

11. ThaShark316_28

I want Lee to guard Matthews. Battier can start on him, but later in the game...Lee.

Someone has to "get theirs", so it might be LMA.

12. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

I think Hill would have a problem guarding LA. Hill is a good defender on the block, but bad on the perimeter. He would draw early fouls when LA took him outside the paint and put the ball on the floor or faced him up. I say we put Scola on him, let him get his, but feed Scola early on offense to force LA to play D. Maybe even put Miller and Scola in together to spread the floor and keep Camby offf the boards.

1 person likes this.
  13. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I think we have enough perimeter defenders to cover him successfully. He is dynamic, but if you stop his outside shot he's less effective.

14. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

PP still has alot to prove and is coming off of a game that has boosted his confidence, I suspect he is salivating at the challenge.

15. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

We could go small with Battier at the 4 and Lee at the 3, but I doubt it. I bet Rick sticks with the rotation from the last game, only bringing in JJ if necessary.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i dont see rick going with any gimmick defense. scola will start on him man to man. if he starts torching scola rather than just 'getting his' then i see a double team coming on the catch.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm cautiously optimistic at his chances against Aldridge too. Patrick can rotate out on the high post,and his size should be able to push LA out of his comfort zone. Battier will get some minutes here as well. Hill should be able to stop him near the basket on occasions.

18. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Shane is my favorite rocket, but I think you guys are severely overestimating him. There is absolutely no way on earth he can contest anything LA throws up. He is an excellent position defender and decent on ball defender, but all that is negated if LA never has to put the ball on the floor. Turn and shoot all day (week, month, year) against Shane.

19. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

We don't have the personnel to stop his outside shot. Jeffries is the only person remotely close to being able to. Our guys with the lateral quickness to react if he puts the ball on the floor (scola, battier, PP) lack the length to challenge his shot. Guys with enough length to challenge his shot (miller, hill) would get torched off the dribble. We gotta send help and make him play defense.

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Patrick Patterson can take Lamarcus Aldridge's outside shot and send it into the 20th row. Or he can catch the ball with his teeth, depends on his mood at the time.