1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Windshield repair

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rizzy, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Had a rock chip my windshield this weekend and cause a crack on the driver left side. I was looking at Safelite but am not sure of their prices/work. Is something like this covered under insurance without raising my rate? I would appreciate any recommendations regarding a place to get it repaired/replaced.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

My car insurance didn't cover it because I have a $500 deductible. Safelite wanted nearly $400 for it, which I thought was insane.

These guys replaced it for $140. They came out to my house and did the job pretty fast. I would definitely use them again. I have had no issues since I used them.

http://www.autoglasshouston.net/

The key question on repair or replace: if the crack is longer than a dollar bill, they will recommend you replace it.

3. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Is it cracked or chipped?

4. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Thanks. It's a little longer than a dollar bill.

Cracked. Looks like this:

[​IMG]

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Was it chipped? I have a chipped windshield and need it fixed but **** $400! Honestly, right now it is about the width of a baby's pinkie but I now it will grow.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Thanks for the link. I have a windshield that needs replacing and they just quoted me $135. Not bad at all. And definitely not worth getting insurance involved.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Chipped and had a long crack. It was around $380 to replace it, they said. I told them that was way too high. The woman on the phone offered me a discount of $20. I face-palmed and got off the phone.

I asked my insurance agent if she could get me a good deal on a windshield repair, and she called around and was able to get me that deal. After her assuring me of their quality work, I took up that offer.

I actually got it done for $120 because they were late, which made my cheap ass very happy.

I searched through old posts in the BBS about windshield repair but only found posts from what claiming that windshield replacement was always and forever a bad idea.

8. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Would they transfer my EZ tag, inspection and registration stickers to the new windshield?

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The guy who came out to my house did it for me without me mentioning it.

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

groupon

11. hlcc

hlcc Member

depend on your insurance company, my insurance company (liberty mutual) fixes windshield chips for free. When I got a chip couple of years ago, I just called my insurance company and they send someone over to my workplace and fixed it while I was at the office. They are probably afraid that if they charged a deductible for this people will ignore the problem until it causes a much more serious problem.

12. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

13. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

If it's cracked then you have to start paying out. Chipped windshields only cost $30 to repair. But you have to repair it before it spreads. That pic you showed is a bummer.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

And it spreads fast in this heat. Mine went from a small chip to a 2-foot crack in just a few weeks.