1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Windows 8 help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BigMaloe, Aug 28, 2013.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

so I don't understand this new to me format. I should have never got this new laptop. I figured out desktop is my way to go. ive had to go thru advance internet options to enable certain security things in order to see some of my schoo. sites like lonestar.edu, angel and such. I even had to use youtube to figure out where word was and how to make it easier accessible.

my problem now is this. Im in class and I have to enter a open discussion board entry on angel learning. but in the provided box it wont let me type. I tried copying and pasting, didn't work. I tried saving the file and uploading, but it wont let me type the upload file in the pop-up box.

I am lost and have no clue what to do. and now im starting to worry it is going to interfere with my schooling. entering discussion board entries is a big part of this classes grade, and if I cant figure it out than id what to do.

TIA for all the help and for looking and acting like an idiot.

2. WNBA

WNBA Member

try different web browsers (chrome, firefox, opera )
    install java, flash player, enable java script, stuff like that.

1 person likes this.
  3. BigMaloe

how do I enable java script?

4. BigMaloe

so i downloaded and installed google chrome

IT WORKED...

thank you for your insight...

repped.

5. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Windows 8 was the operating system that made me realize that I am getting old. I previously embraced change, now I do not understand it.

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

FWIW, Windows 8.1 most of the gripes people have while reetaining the things that made Windows 8 unique.

Is it necessary? probably not, but it isn't as bad as people make it out to be

7. conquistador#11

i can't even find the calculator on windows 8. If we ever go to endless scrolling for forums, I might just jump of the roof of a tall building. I hate that everything is being formatted for tablets and phones.

8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I heard plenty of complaints about Windows 7. Once I started using it, I thought it was a solid OS and didn't quite understand all the complaints.

I have started using Windows 8 recently. I can't believe MS put out this POS.

9. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Yeah, I hate windows 8. I can get by on it, but they made things more complicated by trying to make things easier.
    Windows 7 I don't recall hearing many complaints. Windows Vista? Now that was a crappy os.

10. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

I believe that there is an app that will make the interface like what you are used to - desktop / start button right from the moment you boot.

Check this out:
    http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php

Plus I heard that Microsoft maybe bringing back the start button and other pre W8 GUI features in the next service pack.

11. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Hit windows key on keyboard and type the word calculator? Should bring it up as first option from tile menu

You can also windows key +R and run calc.exe from the desktop

12. what

what Member

go to the start screen (tile screen) right click. on the bottom right is "all apps". click on it and there you are.

once on "all apps" right click on the apps you'd like to pin to the start screen, etc.

the other way to do this is at the start screen just start typing calculator and it will come up.

13. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

LMAO, this is what I'm talking about! This seems intuitive and easier, in a way, but was it really necessary? Maybe, maybe no