1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Windows 8.1, anyone using the preview?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Aug 23, 2013.

1. what

what Member

I think 8.1 looks sweet.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oPQe0csfmOQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

been on it for a month now. It's solid. Honestly I don't use a ton of the new features over Win8, but I don't have complaints either way

3. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

It at least lets you boot to the desktop which alone is a big plus if you are not on a tablet.

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

never understood that issue. You save a whole click...all 0.4 seconds it takes to look, move, and click on an icon.

Hell, I put my work computer in "sleep" mode a ton, so I only actually have to click out of the tile mode maybe 2x/week

5. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

Windows 8.1 is out today. Downloading now... :cool:

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

LOLs,,,since when has Microsoft put out a X.y release of an OS since Windows 3.1

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

We all know Windows 8 was a huge disappointment. 8.1 was a bigger disappointment. It was almost a mockery to those who hated Windows 8.

"Oh, you hate the live tiles and want your start menu and desktop back? Ok. We will just make it when you click the start menu, it will bring up the live tiles. Lulz!"

That said, Windows 8 is not bad. Its more functional than the desktop. However, power uses do not want that crap. I typically have 20 windows and tabs open at once. Live Tiles makes that more difficult to manage those who multitask.

8. BleedsRocketRed

How can anyone use W8 in a corporate environment. We are looking to upgrade computers but are chained with W7 because W8 isn't compatible with our programs.

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I use Win8 at work with the Classicshell Start Menu replacement software (Free, open source). I honestly forget that I'm using Win8.

Back to topic, if MS keeps putting out incremental updates ala Apple, it's going to be a nightmare to keep up with for standardized companies and they will lose their corporate stronghold with a quickness.

10. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

That's doubtful. I work in a Fortune 500 company with 1,000's of applications and we have not found a single application yet that isn't compatible.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Same here. I'm in charge of software compatibility at UTMB and while we don't use thousands of apps, every one I've tested or had tested by other people all work if they worked in Win7.

The bigger issue is IE10 compatibility. A lot of web-based apps just don't work in it.

12. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I work in a corporate environment and windows 8 works great. Unless you're using some old ass version of JD Edwards lol. That and like someone else mentioned, the web apps and ie11 and 10.

I'm enjoying 8.1 but I'm having a few problems with my wireless driver. Should probably clear up within time if Intel releases 8.1 drivers for my device

13. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

upgraded from windows 8 to 8.1 last night, and haven't has any issues. i just think it was pointless to add the start button that simply takes you back to the live tiles. my keyboard has a button with the same feature.

14. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Going to try it out on the Surface Pro 2 next week. I didn't find too many issues with Windows 8, seems like Windows 8.1 will be much of the same with some improvements.

15. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Been running 8.1 at work for the last several months. Have not had any issues and I think its a nice update from Win8. As others have said, if your app works in 7 it should run fine in 8.

#15 Harrisment, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  16. Awesome

Awesome Member

If I pop in my windows 8 disc and put it back on my pc (using 7 right now)... will I lose everything I currently have set up?

17. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

It should give you the option to keep your files, settings, or both.

18. Awesome

Awesome Member

Alright that sounds great.

I had 8 when it first dropped but at the time I couldnt get it to accept certain hardware drivers, then my HDD died, so they sent me a new one that had Windows 7 on it and the Windows 8 disc to reinstall, so I decided to wait to upgrade it until they would fix the driver issues.

I didnt hate it, i just needed to figure out where the folders were, but using one of the programs that makes it look like Windows 7 was terrific. It was pretty smooth, but otherwise it just wasn't ready for prime time.

19. what

what Member

Anybody using the read list app yet? It is pretty cool. Especially if you use it with the news apps and the sports app. Basically you can bookmark every article quickly and come back to it at a later time.

The one really bad shortcoming to windows 8.1 is that microsoft doesn't allow you to backup your skydrive folder anybody with the file history settings. They need to get that back pronto and stop worrying about selling skydrive space.

Also, I actually see the metro ui as another browser, in some ways a better browser than firefox. I mean you almost can do anything you want from the ui as you could do from a real browser. Google better watch their back because bing is nearly as good as google is right now and the metro ui is better than firefox and google chrome.

20. BleedsRocketRed

We use a unix emulator here as all of our programs run on legacy unix. Our emulator and certain features required of our program is limited by W8.