1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Windows 7 phones - are they worth it?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by geeimsobored, Aug 23, 2011.

1. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Hey so I've been looking at the new Windows phones that came out. Just from the small time I had they seemed pretty nice and the operating system was solid enough. I'm not a huge app user so I'm not so concerned with the fact that the Microsoft store probably doesn't have the apps that the iphone or android has.

However, are there any glaring problems with it that I'm missing. Or are there any reasons in general not to go with a Windows phone?

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think windows phones have the best out of the box experience out of all the phones especially with Mango.

1 person likes this.
  3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Yes times a million. I love my wp7 phone.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Microsoft is jumping through hoops trying to train app developers right now, nobody really cares about there platform, that's what I know.

1 person likes this.
  5. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

App situation is the only real downside as far as I know (and depending on the app, that could be a bigger deal for some folks). In my admittedly somewhat limited time with Windows 7 phones I've found the UI to be excellent.

1 person likes this.
  6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Honestly people said that about android too.

Microsoft is really sweetening the pie for developers right now, especially with all the developments in mango. The thing is, between the mango update and what is already out both for Xbox live and the app store I'm not sure what else it would need.

Voice nav, check
    Talk to text and text to talk, check
    Full facebook integration, check
    Shazam like bing music search, check

Sure flash is great, but I'm ok without it. Plus, Zune pass is just amazing.

7. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Interesting question and topic. I'm about to get myself a Dell Venue and was wondering this very thing. I'm a bit apprehensive about the app difference between it and iOS, but even if I can't stand it for long, I'll get a new phone in a year or so. The Dell Venue is just so nice in terms of design interface.

8. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

If you're not big on apps, then any of the 3 smartphone OS will work

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Can I be first in line for the Windows 7 phone firesale on ClutchFans? :grin:

10. VanityHalfBlack

It's super fast!!!!

11. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

We caved in and bought one. Thanks! (and + rep)

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Zune. Good point. See. Where's the Zune? Windows screws everything up. They don't "get it".

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

You understand that Microsoft killed it off because of WP7 and the fact that they hate hardware development? They don't get it? It's why you can't go out and buy a Microsoft branded PC. The product "Zune" is dead, but the notion of the Zune lives on in Windows Phone devices.

...Is that why their PC market consumes >90% share? Is that why Xbox 360 is only second to the Wii in console sales? I think failing is actually what Microsoft doesn't get...

14. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

You should have waited a bit longer. Better Windows 7 phones will be coming out when they release Mango. I'm still holding out until I see what they have. Looking forward to Nokia and hopefully Sony Windows 7 phone.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I love the interface on WP7, and I'm waiting for a phone that I like to jump onboard. Maybe when the new phones are released by the end of the year I'll get one. The lack of apps doesn't really kill it for me. I only use about 5 or 6 apps regularly, and they're all generic (weather, email, stocks, etc). There's one trading app that I don't believe is on WP7 that I'd miss. I'm hoping the Nokia/MS collaboration will end up producing some good hadware with great software.

(And for those following my saga, yes, I'm still using my iPhone 3G. :grin:)

16. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Well, I can see why you don't use many apps. :p

17. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Mango phones with Front facing camera's and heavily integrated Skype is coming :)

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They had to kill something off because they didn't get it. Makes sense no? Phones aren't their thing. Never has been, never will. Well, never say never. But not anytime soon.

19. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

XBOX?:grin:

20. Sajan

Sajan Member

iphone 5 on sprint or nokia win phone 7 on verizon/sprint.

that will be choices come end of this year.