1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Windows 10 Free Upgrade

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by larsv8, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Nero

Nero Member

I did that about a month ago, and everything works fine, EXCEPT, for some reason, I cannot get the audio working with the internal speakers. Bluetooth audio works fine, as well as plugging in something like a USB speaker set, or USB headphones, those work perfectly.. but the internal speakers on the iMac? Just flat out do not work in Windows 10 (yet?)

Still, I like so far, go for it, it does work fine otherwise..

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Can I install a SSD then upgrade Windows onto it or does it have to keep booting from the current HD to maintain my files?

3. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

I'm downloading from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Is that a force upgrade?

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

5. Sajan

Sajan Member

I never got the "get windows 10" notification balloon. Can I get still 10?

I have a legal copy that came with my computer.

6. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

For sure. You can manually download it from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

You'll need your product key. If you dont have it you can google ways to find it. There are key finder apps that will help you find your product key.

7. what

what Member

what the hell, has windows 10 already delivered the notifications? I don't understand why I didn't get a notification?

8. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

hmm the windows notification icon that was in my desktop tray is suddenly gone...no notification to update yet

9. RedRedemption

Restart your computers and and Check for Updates in Windows Update.

10. what

what Member

I did that and now the icon is gone! doh, what the hell?

11. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

same...mine was there a few hours ago...now its gone lol

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

My icon is still there on my main Windows 7 desktop and I just decided to take the offer for a key, but I don't think I'll upgrade -- I'm still deciding. I may upgrade my 8.1 laptop, though.

13. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/

14. MystikArkitect

Just installed it on Surface Pro 3. This is my primary work machine for graphics and whatnot so curious to see how it holds up.

Thought W8.1 was doing just fine.

15. RedRedemption

That is very strange.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Hopefully it gives you the option to upgrade from your current OS.
    Take what I say with a grain of salt though because I've upgraded two operating systems to Windows 10 with zero problems.So I am not familiar with the errors you guys are having.

16. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

i did go to windows update and it does recognize that my windows 10 update is reserved...they'll let me know when its ready to go...but could this be a couple days thing? since they're just rolling it out slowly?

17. what

what Member

I went to microsoft and here is what they are saying (the quote is from a microsoft rep, not a user):

If you install from the ISO/media, as long as you start the upgrade from within a Genuine/activated copy of Windows 7/8.1 (e.g. by double-clicking Setup.exe), you shouldn't need your CD key.
    However, doing a "clean install" (for example, booting from the ISO/media, rather than launching setup.exe from within the existing Windows installation), you will need to enter your CD key again.
    Also, just a reminder to the folks on this thread, the upgrade is being rolled out over time, so you won't see the icon until the upgrade is ready for your machine. We are taking a measured approach to ensure that we only upgrade users when we have a high confidence level for the compatibility of their device.
    If you want to upgrade right away, follow the directions at the site linked above, but in general, our recommendation is actually to wait until the icon returns and notifies you that the upgrade is now ready for your machine, which will mean that we have fixed the majority of issues that could possibly impact your device.
    Here's what was said in Terry Myerson's blog post a few weeks ago (underline added for emphasis):
    How To Know When You’re Ready to Upgrade
    Starting on July 29, we will start rolling out Windows 10 to our Windows Insiders. From there, we will start notifying reserved systems in waves, slowly scaling up after July 29th. Each day of the roll-out, we will listen, learn and update the experience for all Windows 10 users.
    If you reserved your copy of Windows 10, we will notify you once our compatibility work confirms you will have a great experience, and Windows 10 has been downloaded on your system.
    Regards,
    Anthony

18. RedRedemption

That is entirely possible.

Just wait is my 2 cents.

You're not missing out on anything drastic like 1000% improved performance lol.

19. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

haha i know...i'm just antsy haha

20. RedRedemption

Yeah I felt the same way, I upgraded at 11:17 PM last night lol.
    Luckily it worked for me, not everyone was lucky. :(