1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Windows 10 Free Upgrade

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by larsv8, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Here is the Q&A session I was referring to, trust me - there were many skeptics questioning the new "upgrade in place" strategy.

<iframe src="https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Ignite/2015/BRK3333/player" width="640" height="360" allowFullScreen frameBorder="0"></iframe>

Here's another great session, an in depth session regarding upgrading to Windows 10.

<iframe src="https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Ignite/2015/BRK3307/player" width="640" height="360" allowFullScreen frameBorder="0"></iframe>

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I will watch, thanks for the info. As geared as I am in science and tech (I'm a chemist by day) and I still believe in Voodoo. I know I shouldn't, but there are things where I do it a certain way just because it works, and I have certain things where I'm hesitant even though data right in front me suggests otherwise. I was hesitant for years to switch to solid state from my raptor drive. Irrational and stupid, I know, I know.

3. youknowme

youknowme Member

Taking a look at the documentation on my Windows 10 reservation, it says that since I have Windows 7 Ultimate (or Professional), you will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. I believe you only get upgraded to Windows 10 Home Edition, if your current version is a Home Edition.

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/wi...upgrade-matrix-which-version-you-get-for-free

Also, as apparently you can run Office 95 on Windows 10.

5. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

I wiped both of my PC's and installed the Windows 10 Preview Edition. Would the upgrade still be offered to those with the technical preview?

I <3 Windows 10. Absolutely amazing.

I have had some issues with the video drivers, but other than that its been awesome.

6. Svpernaut

You are correct, Home edition users will get Home edition. Ultimate and Pro will get Pro. Enterprise get nothing (covered by Enterprise Agreements).

Yes, you may be prompted for your valid license key however - so have it handy.

1 person likes this.
  7. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

lol damn

8. dragician

dragician Member

Say NO to **** from that Clipper balder old man.

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Interesting stuff
    I'm not sold yet though . . .

Rocket River

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Just had to upgrade my home computer - definitely surprised by how much i've enjoyed 8.1 over Windows 7 -- i'm sure i'll upgrade after I hear more opinions on 10 though.

12. Svpernaut

13. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

A little more info was recently released about Windows 10 Preview getting a free upgrade to 10. You still have to receive beta updates which may not be a big deal.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/22/8...o-explain-who-really-gets-windows-10-for-free

14. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

Does the new Edge browser support NPAPI plugins or is it removing support like Chrome?

Also what is this about valid license keys? I have 2 laptops which came with Win 8 preloaded. They don't have a sticker with a key

15. Dark Rhino

Dark Rhino Contributing Member

After perusing this thread, I still can't seem to fathom if the free upgrade is a full version or just the upgrade version of Windows 10.

16. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Thanks! I did have a valid license, but I wiped my HD clean and put Windows 10 over it. Started to get nervous over the past few days. I can live with the beta updates.

17. Svpernaut

Edge will not have ActiveX support, so Java will not be available in it (thank God). You'll need to use IE as a legacy option.

The technology from 1995, and the security holes they introduce, need to die.

They should have come with a license key in the box, but there are ways to retrieve them otherwise. You should be fine doing an "upgrade in place," but if you want to do a fresh install you'll likely need to recover those keys.

It is an upgrade, meaning you'll need a valid license key from a previous version of Windows to install it. You can do an "upgrade in place" where you won't be prompted for your current key, or a fresh installation, where you will likely be prompted for your current key - just like previous "upgrade versions" from the past.

Unless, you're part of the "insider" program using the key I listed above. The caveat from that is the fact that you'll be in an early-adopter updates group. They are giving you a completely free copy of Windows, because you are a beta tester.

18. BleedsRocketRed

Launches tonight so get ready.

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Looking forward to upgrading (using Win7 currently). But Still iffy about some of the drivers....graphical wise etc.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It better not suck