1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Windows 10 Free Upgrade

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by larsv8, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I will try using the ethernet connection today and downloading the drivers from Cisco's website. Thanks!

Edit.....

Although, doesn't look like it has a driver for Windows 10. Maybe it's just not compatible?

http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=148503

Seems like this is an issue with this product:

https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Adapters/AE2500-Windows-10-Driver/td-p/959794/page/2

#261 Haymitch, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  2. what

what Member

I don't think it is a driver issue at all. What it might be (most likely) is windows 10 firewall, which might be preventing your router from gaining access.

If you are using a net gear router you are probably going to have to call them and spend the 50 bucks to get tech support to help you.

You might also (if you are interested) buy a new router if yours is old and with any new router you get 90 days free tech support, so that is a way to go.

I doubt seriously that it is actually the thumb drive causing it. There really aren't any special drivers you need for those things to work. It's most likely a router issue with your windows 10 firewall.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Router isn't that old; I recently purchased it. It's an Asus RT-N66U.

4. what

what Member

The only reason I suggested you to buy a new one was because if your router is over 90 days old you are most likely going to have to spend as much on tech support as a new router will cost you.

Also, I'm 99 percent sure this is your issue.

5. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Upgraded to win10 on my laptop and a week later downgraded back to 8.1.

I didn't like 8.1, but win10 makes it look good.

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Turn off your router + modem.
    Unplug everything from your router/modem (ethernet), disable wifi devices momentarily.

Turn modem on, wait 60 secs, turn router on and wait 60 secs or so.

Then connect everything back to the router and hope it works.

I had a similar issue and that's how I fixed it.

Asus routers are absolute beasts when it comes to performance, but its riddled with firmware bugs and random issues like yours.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

My PC got tired of me putting off upgrading to Windows 10. Last night, my PC updated itself, unbeknownst to me. Imagine my surprise ;)

Probably should have read that MS User Agreement I consented to.

#267 No Worries, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
  8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Youll love it. Mine did the same thing and was pissed for a little while, then I coped, then was happy.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

A couple of months ago, I was greeted with "Welcome to Windows 10". I was ballistic! Got around it by not agreeing to the terms and conditions. Took about 10 mins but it restored Windows 7 and I'm very happy.

Another bonus is the notices begging me to upgrade ceased immediately.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Updated last night as well -- so far so good.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

After I updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 several months ago, my machine was kind of flaky, but then it was acting flaky before then, I guess; just not so much. I originally built the machine back in 2009 or 2010 and the only thing I had done was upgrade a hard drive and the video card twice, I think. Otherwise, it was the same i7 2600k, memory, motherboard, etc. for the whole time. About a month or two ago, I saw a pretty nice deal at MicroCenter for an i7 6700K, so I decided to build a new PC and install Windows 10 fresh. Big difference. But then I guess any Windows on a clean machine is great. Now I'm just trying to decide between a GTX 1080 or 1070. Waiting for some more reviews on the 1080 and for something other than FE cards to be released.

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I updated my machine a couple of months ago, but I was updating from Vista. The update was more difficult to execute, and because of my own lack of savvy, it took me a while to get my old external HD recognized.

But now that I have it all sorted out, or at least mostly sorted out, it's working better and much smoother.

13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, clean install on the 2600k and it will run flawless too... It's nice once it's activated pretty quick reinstall. Anyway... I'm in same boat 1070 is looking good, but I'm kind of waiting too, after these FE cards go away might be worth the 1080 just to skip a gen, I'm not sure though... Haven't been playing anything and on 4790k with 970.

But yeah same experience here on upgrades to win 10, until doing clean install... I actually changed out a lot of parts prior to upgrade to 10 (to save having to use a new 10 key), but that **** was screwed until the reinstall :)

14. Exiled

Exiled Member

Downloaded Linuxmint , pretty easy set up and you won't look back @Mac/windows again

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm running a 970, too. I hate to upgrade this quickly, but when I built the new PC, I upgraded to a 32" monitor (non-4k) since my existing 24" monitor was seeeeveral years old, as well, and want to crank up everything on 2560x1440 if possible. :grin:

16. Nero

Nero Member

I am SOOOO getting a 1440 27" as soon a I see a great deal on one :grin:

17. BleedsRocketRed

Still on windows 7 here. No desire to switch over.

18. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Can anyone give an answer as to why Microsoft is SOOO adamant about us upgrading to Windows 10? *As I put on my tin foil hat*, it just seems a little odd that they are pushing this upgrade so much as to go as far as giving it to us for free.

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Nice! Yeah I'm on 1440 atm too, nice bump up in res before 4k :)

Some of those Microcenter deals are great, hah, sometimes hard to pass up. They beat everyone on their cpu prices.

20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I don't know if you've seen these... But some great deals on debranded/knockoff panels (they're all using real samsung/lg panels though)

https://m.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/42sneq/discussionwhich_is_the_best_korean_1440p_monitor/

There's a lot of options but can sometimes find some crazy deals, and unless you're using for professional photo/video editing (color correction), you won't be able to tell a difference. Some of these Panels can also run at 100-144hz. There's a ton of tech threads on this and brands to look at (just do search for Korean 1440p monitor, and you'll see a lot of tech threads/reviews). I've had one for 3-4 years now (no issues) and paid under $300. You can sometimes find them for under $200. Depending on who you purchase from, and some even include 2 day air shipping from South Korea.

I mean at the time I could buy 3 of these to 1 Dell/Samsung monitor. And these were true IPS panels, also no input lag if you bought one without the scaler... There's a lot more of these to research now but pretty sweet deal and screen for the money.