1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft live at 2:00pm CT -- come join us!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

(Windhorst) Rockets active in the trade market

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jul 27, 2018.

1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

DJ = augustin. options are DJ/Ross for Ryno/pick, or DJ/Mozgov for Ryno.

Court = courtney lee. only viable option is Lee/Thomas for ryno and maybe a SRP. this fits what @Codman said (guard and versatile big)

Tyus = jones. weird trade since he's making so little and in a contract year. options are Ty/Taj for Ryno/FRP or Ty/Dieng for Ryno and maybe 2 SRPs.

Jimmy Butler, if anything will be a deadline trade. Ryno/2FRPs/Melton would be our best and i don't think it tops a lakers, sixers, celtics offer.

Mil Wildcard = Dellavedova makes the most sense if we don't want anymore hammy pulls. solid but overpaid backup PG. most likely trades are Dell/Snell for Ryno/SRP or Dell/Henson for Ryno/FRP. i just don't see Mil as a landing spot for ryno when they have illyasova locked in for 3 years.

Miami wants ending contracts from Sac/Mem = Shump/Zebo and Temple/Green. both trades would cost us a FRP and maybe a SRP too. then to flip one of those packages to miami for JJ would cost us a FRP. if the price is basically 2 FRPs i'd wait to see what happens with butler first for the same price.

Washington talk = Oubre. Most likely trade: Oubre/Mahinmi for Ryno/FRP. the situation is he's in Oubre's final year, they used a lotto pick on a new SF and they are already over the LT and won't pay him. we're not getting wall, beal, or porter, and we don't want rivers or dwight. morris, smith, and meeks don't make enough to match ryno's salary even if packages with oubre. only mahinmi works here.

Buyouts = Tyson Chandler and Joakim Noah. either would be fine for the vet min.

RECAP:
    Too Expensive - i'd say the fact that there's no bazemore talk means their price reported by Iko (FRP/Melton) was deemed too high. I suspect the miami trade will be deemed too high after checking in with Sac/Mem about the price of flipping ryno for their expirings.

Someone Says No - the wolves can get a better offer for butler than our best offer, and in Mil either Dell/Snell isn't a good move for us financially, or the Dell/Henson trade isn't worth the pick(s). doesn't make sense for their roster balance either.

Better Than Standing Pat - the Tyus and DJ trades are slightly overpaying but i think that's what they will cost. Its a solid move to acquire steady backup PG play. even if harden is the backup PG... who is his backup for the 20 games that CP will miss? we need someone like these guys.

Top Of The List - NY/Was trades are pretty good for both parties. I'd rather oubre as a main piece over lee. younger, bigger, more athletic. Lee is a good sg/sf but we really need a sf/pf. plus oubre probably comes with a solid backup center in mahinmi (albeit on a terrible contract). lee/thomas are a really nice package that fit perfectly with us, and the bonus that lee is easier to move with a pick for bazemore/JJ/aminu/etc...

2. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Problem with New York is they wanted nothing to do with Ryno last year when we were trying to get Melo, so what has changed this year that they will magically take Ryno.

luckyman76 likes this.
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Mahinmi and Jason Smith for Ryan Anderson is a very unappealing trade which works on the ESPN trade machine. I hope Morey won't go for that.

Deuce likes this.
  4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

they didn't want ryno/pick for melo. they thought they could get more. they liked the kanter package better.

to top Ryno/FRP for lee/thomas you'd have to offer a higher pick (mid first? late lotto?) or expiring contracts. will anyone offer that to the knicks? prob not.

its not about not wanting ryno. its about getting the best return you can for each asset independent of the other.

luckyman76, Deuce and jch1911 like this.
  5. today

today Contributing Member

Big thanks for the awesome recap breaking down Cod's post =)

Chamillionaire, saleem, carib and 2 others like this.
  6. HTX Ninja

HTX Ninja Member

Ryno and a 1st or 2nd round pick for DJ Augustin and Nikola Vucevic?? Backup PG and Versatile Big.

hakeem94 and jch1911 like this.
  7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think the Magic will want more than that, maybe Melton and a 1st rounder. I'm hesitant to do that. I hope DM will too feel the same way.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

I wouldn't move a 1st rounder for those guys, DJ is a decent/solid backup but i'd rather play Melton. Vuc is overrated, he's an old school player, not a good fit in today's nba...just like Kanter, Monroe etc, would be a back up expiring contract which wouldn't be able to stay on the court when it matters.

No way in hell i move Melton and 1st for those two, we just don't need them.

clutchdabear and True Rocket like this.
  9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@Codman never disappoints! Thanks for the Ears and here's to good health!

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

IMO neither Magician is attractive; both assets in TheToyShop are.

11. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Also... won't Porzingis be out awhile? Ryno could be that stretch-4 until he returnso_O:confused::cool::eek:

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This is a very well thought out and fair analysis.

hakeem94 and smoothie like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

this is by far the greatest piece of the CODBOMB for me
    the worriers are more hype than substance
    we were already the better team last year in RS(by a lot) and in the playoffs by a slight margin even with the injuries, and only the refs were the end of us, harden almost singlehandedly eliminated them, so either harden is the goat or the worriers are the most overrated team ever

saleem and clutchdabear like this.
  14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

We could just sign DMO and be done with it.

amaru, hakeem94 and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Washington, Miami, Minnesota. Teams that might want to make moves but the question is WHEN? How urgent are they to make moves? It might take the "deadline" of training camp to push them.

Sacramento is a KEY team right now for 3-way trades. They have some cap room to take in players. And they have multiple expiring contracts. They also have a bit of roster imbalance. And they are a team that has a hard time getting FAs, so making trades is more important to them. And they don't have a 1st round pick next year.

As already pointed out, interesting how the Bazemore/Hawks talk has cooled.

Wolves better be prepared to lose Butler. Not saying the Rockets will get him, but I am firmly in the belief he is gone.

I like the talk of the Rockets having a chance at Oubre. But I am not holding my breath.

Tyus Jones is a sneaky good backup PG. Seems like the analytics favor him.

It is easy to say, but I wonder how real the possibility it is that the Suns would buy out Ariza and he would entertain coming back to Houston. There is nothing more "#NewMath" than Ariza getting paid 15M (by someone else) and then coming back and getting the rest of the Rockets MLE "on top of the 15M." That is #NewMath on Ariza getting the bag.

Tyson Chandler feels like a real possibility to me. How much does he have left in the tank? I am guessing he isn't real playable vs GSW but useful for regular season games and early playoffs.

luckyman76, hakeem94 and HTX Ninja like this.
  16. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

We should just trade for steven curry

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Could be that teams want to see if Anderson can still play like he did earlier in the regular season. The guy's game so completely disappeared late in the season and in the playoffs that worrying if he still "has it," or has suffered an incurable basketball breakdown that defies medical science, might be a legitimate issue.

amaru, snowconeman22 and saleem like this.
  18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

And with CL an expiring.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

*IF* Anderson is still on the Rockets to start the season, doubtful he will get any time. Perhaps as a backup small ball C, stretch 5, he could see some time. PJ Tucker and Melo will get all of the PF minutes.

D-rock likes this.
  20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The hoops version of Steve Blass or Steve Sax, Chuck Knoblock (sp?).