1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Windhorst] Daryl Morey is not done; is trying to get Melo and Paul George

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Jun 28, 2017.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

2. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I'm sort of a guy who thinks the NBA as in the league office can sometimes dictate were players go and what really happens.

The NBA is better globally when the rockets have a super team over dare I say it even the Celtics.

Houston is legit the closet team to competing with the Warriors and Cavs.

It's a big market and is the China team. Silver is upset that there are not any Chinese players in the NBA.

At some point adding melo or paul George imo will happen.(maybe both)

The NBA loves the warriors no doubt about it but they have to create another threat to keep casual fan interest.

Cp3 and harden are huge stars both top 50 most recognizable athletes in the world.

As much as we NBA diehards like little guy Isaiah Thomas or the great Kawi Leonard, fact is those guys aren't marketable outside of NBA ppl.

iT just isn't good enough and Kawi is just boring and plays in SA.

All the Boston talk is overblown. They are not better than houston if the add paul George now and the rockets do nothing. The Rockets Cavs Spurs and warriors are still all better.

I think this is part of why Ainge hasn't made any deal for PG13 or jimmy butler. They clearly have the best package of any team and haven't pulled the trigger. It's because he knows he has a guy in IT who really is a super sub 6th man on a contender. A guy in horford who is really a number 3 at best and that's really a stretch.

Paul George in houston or Cleveland is the third best player on the team. Paul George in Boston is the best player. Big big difference.

Ainge is not dumb he knows what he's doing.

He's doing the right thing staying competitive letting his young prospect learn how to win and hoping brown Taytum and the two other likely top 5 picks blossom and are ready when these super teams now fall off.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I agree with everything or mostly everything you said ( i would have to read it again to be sure) I would like to say I do not think getting Paul Milsap is a good move. Unless it is for a very reasonable salary or for only say 2 seasons. He is 32 and will be 33 next season and just averaged 18 and 7. That is not someone you throw a lot of money at especially if you will already have an older Chris Paul on the team.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Melo would make us an even better team if he could play PF, but probably still not in the Warrior's class. If Melo wants to play the 3 however, I don't think that would work out for us if we still have Anderson. That being said, Paul George would be a game changer for us and would put us in play to push GS. Obviously having both would give us a starting 5 every bit as good as Golden State's...but even if we just had George, I think we would have a 40% chance of beating GS.

Chamillionaire, hongxingli and Tfor3 like this.
  6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

If Paul Millsap were four years younger I'd want him over Paul George. His raw numbers don't show his true value. He's like a mix between Draymond Green's defense and Blake Griffin's offense. He can handle the ball like a guard, pass, post up, shoot from the outside, guard both the post and the perimeter, and block shots. He can also hit hard shots in iso and is very clutch. The guy has been Atlanta's de facto franchise player for the past four years but will never get credit for it because he doesn't score 20+ppg. His defensive versatility is badly needed on this team and his high bball IQ would make him an excellent option playing off of CP3 and Harden.

But you're right. He's 32 and will decline over this next contract. It's too bad because he's the perfect fit that we just can't pursue.

don grahamleone likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dayum that former Jazz player has come a long way. Never wore Rockets Red.

8. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Melo as the 3rd option would be deadly. He is a great catch and shoot player and would get mega open looks with JH13 and CP3. I wonder how MDA feels about it?

If he can get a buyout and we don't have to trade anything we could give the Warriors a challenge.

Paul
    Harden
    Ariza
    Melo
    Clint
    Gordon
    Ryno
    Nene
    Williams

That's a strong 9

BigMaloe and Hakeemtheking like this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I had to google the Rockets depth chart to figure out if the Rocket still had a Williams on the squad. we do.

BigMaloe, jnuge90 and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  10. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

CP3 is not top50 recognisable atheletes on the world IMO

don grahamleone likes this.
  11. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Maybe, but Cliff Paul definitely is.

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

13. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I'm sure Jordan brand wanted the in to China as well, and now they certainly have that.

14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I have always liked Millsap but people here are really overrating him.

He is not the solution to beating the Warriors as the third best player on the team.

He needs to be the 4th best player at best.

We need to aquire either PG or Melo before adding Millsap to the team. My preference is PG because he is an excellent defender and we need perimeter defenders against Warriors perimeter players. You can just stick him on Curry or Durant to make them work hard.

#314 Zboy, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    adw, pippendagimp and Hakeemtheking like this.
  15. Normalus

Normalus Member

So much ego in one photo...

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Delete. Double post.

#316 Zboy, Jun 29, 2017
  17. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

We need to get Paul George
    2017: Chris Paul George
    2018: Lebron James Harden
    2019: Carmelo Anthony Davis

Let's do this

DonKnock, jnuge90, J.R. and 1 other person like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I forgot Liggins might be included in that trade.....harhar no more DeAndre

19. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Did you/whoever shop PG #17 cause Melo was #7? Added the 1 like Harden to CP3? Lol dude looks ugly in number 17 no offense. I really wonder what # he would be. Harden has 13 and Moses #24 is retired. He should be #12. Then he can be PGR. The 1 and 2 combined kinda look like an R lol.
    Your post is spot on. Unfortunately you can't take fit over talent when you go up against the Warriors. He'd have to be the 4th best player in this day and age unless your 1/2 players are Bron and KD.

#319 tmactoyao, Jun 29, 2017
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not sure about gutting the team. Most of those were garbage time players.

Harrell and Beverley were the real losses, Dekker to an extent.....others not so much. I know there are Wiltjer lovers.