1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Windhorst: “I’m hearing rumblings about Jimmy getting back to Houston”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Jun 21, 2019.

1. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

He should sign it as soon as he can and put us all out of our misery then

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

Can you guys stop making me think it's not happening? :(

Seems like a massage to Phila like "I'm going to be in Houston or L.A, your decision now" :eek::D

snowconeman22, topfive and D-rock like this.
  3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

jimmy luv city of brotherly luv loooooong time! :D

Hakeemtheking and Vivi like this.
  4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It's definitely not happening. It's nice to dream, but let's be real, it's going to be hard for Jimmy to come and play here on a one year deal (assuming he opts in). It's a huge calculated risk. The guy has had injuries throughout his career and I don't personally think it's worth him sacrificing his future earnings to come play for Houston with no real guarantee that they would take care of him next season.

He is going to be offered max money from multiple teams and it would be stupid of him not to look out for himself.

I like dreaming of it, especially knowing that Chris took the same risk with us, so there is a chance we can end up the same route, but it's a huge risk for Jimmy. I rather just accept that he isn't coming here and hope that the Rockets focus on actual free agents that are realistic and could help us out.

tycoonchip, amaru, Nelly and 4 others like this.
  5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

My GUESS is that he is working the angle to make sure Philly gives him the full 5 year max.

KelvinCato13, tc0330, malakas and 3 others like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No worries, Morey will have a much better chance at getting Butler after 5 years..... at age 34-35.

7. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I think it's hard to label someone "stupid" if they do/don't make a decision based on our perspective/values. Jimmy may want to come home. He may want to finish his career in Houston and play for a chance to win one or more championships.

I recently made a decision to pay substantially more to come back to the Houston area (home) versus staying put or moving to somewhere else in Texas. Financially it was a difficult decision, but everything else pointed me in this direction.

Everyone's priorities are different, Jimmy may decide money and fit are right in Philly or somewhere else. However, I would never disrespect a man or woman for making a sacrifice to come home or chose a different path then what I might chose.

8. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

So if Jimmy can either sign a 5year max for $190 million this year after opting out.

Or

He can opt-in, get traded, play for $20million this year and sign a 4yr - $ 160 million ext after the season. Which is s total of 5yrs - $180 million in a no income tax state. Which happens to be his home state.

If this is the case, Jimmy wins either way.

9. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ingowi...best-markets-for-real-estate-investments/amp/

Highest rates of appreciation and forecast according to Forbes. All small to mid sized cities. Boston probably the largest one in there. Buy low sell high.

I’ve invested into about 12 properties in Dallas area. Population growth is the primary driver for appreciation I think. Just my experience in my area though. Wouldn’t even think to invest in LA, but I don’t know the market there as well.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

He was actually wearing a shirt with "max" wrote on hit yesterday lol

justtxyank and ElPigto like this.
  11. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Ok, poor choice of words. If he forces a trade to Houston then he must really hate the situation in Philly. IMO, Philly gives him just as good of a chance to win as Houston. Philly also would give him the security of a 5 year contract. Butler is pretty injury prone and seeing what happened to Klay and KD this season and Boogie last season would make me prefer the security of a 5 year deal if I were him. If things don’t work out in Philly next season then he can always force a trade then and still have 4 years on his deal.

snowconeman22, Nelly, Shark44 and 2 others like this.
  12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The one thing we have going for us as far as Butler choosing a one year deal in Houston after seeing what just happened to Durant and Thompson is the contract we gave Chris Paul. He knows that if Morey makes a promise like that, he’ll follow through. Having said that, I’m very skeptical about the whole thing.

13. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

Why would you want to live in Philadelphia when you can live in Tomball.

No brainer...home is where the heart is. :)

14. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I agree with your logic wholeheartedly. It's interesting the number of severe injuries that have happened recently to the league's stars. You've done a good job of laying out the safe route for Jimmy to secure his future on arguably a team that can compete for a championship for the next 5 years (barring injuries to stars--see GS).

Philly isn't Houston. No matter how long you're gone, home will always be home. It took me 34 years to return and no matter where I've lived it's never the same as being home.

Sometimes we gamble in life, by taking risks others wouldn't take. Those choices may work as expected or take us down a totally different path. I've always appreciated Robert Frost's The Road Not Taken for its a tribute to all of us that take the unexpected path...

I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Jimmy may sign with Philly and do wonderful things the rest of his career or maybe he comes home like Clyde and wins an NBA Championship for the team he loved growing up. I'll dream of the latter until then.

Cheers,
    Shark44

DM'sVP, brosef and D-rock like this.
  15. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I want some Jimmeh.

16. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Pippen, I heard that Vietnamese chick is living in the States. Look her up.:)

pippendagimp likes this.
  17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ok dream, but i don't live in tha states :D

18. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Philly was so confident in their relationship with Butler that they made the Harris trade knowing he didn’t want to stay there. It was well known in Philly. That was their insurance that they overpaid for and used up their remaining assets. If you’re Butler you can get the max from anyone and certainly better than Philly. Why are the Rockets being mentioned? They shouldn’t be considered at all. They are not leverage. Philly has the leverage every team dreams of having. Yet it doesn’t seem to end this discussion. Sign a 5yr deal and then demand a trade right after? Go find me where that has happened and worked out for anyone. Tell me the league would acquiesce easily on that one. This is Jimmy’s last contract. He has burned a lot of bridges and isn’t happy. Why would he leave his last shot at happiness to chance? That doesn’t mean Rockets. Houston’s greatest pull is his ability to get everything he wants. If Houston is not offering him the higher 5yr max with a 6th year then they are stupid.

Harden’s don’t come along EVER. The next great Rockets generation maybe 30 years away. Nothing in life is guaranteed. Look at the whole NBA of the weak drafts, the misses, and the obscurity of the players who worked out. Many times it takes transforming a player on a second contract or a PJ Tucker to resurrect that talent. In the next generation do we have a Morey or do we have Tilman and a Tilman Jr dud? Nothing we do now will affect the next generation. Everything we don’t do now will kill this one.

D-rock, DM'sVP and BallaDoc like this.
  19. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Hell, how about LeBron? Or KD?

The actual superstars who people convinced themselves we had a chance at with the line of thinking I quoted.

Run along. Dwight Howard. HA.

#279 Downtown Sniper, Jun 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Does Tomball have cheese steak? Does Tomball have any kind of food at all?

thedreamsteam likes this.