1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Win Win Situation. We either get 14th pick or #2 Seed.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JHL85, Apr 14, 2015.

?

What would you prefer?

1. 18th Pick + #2 Seed vs. Mavs in the first round (+guaranteed HCA against Spurs(?) in 2nd round)

231 vote(s)
    78.6%
  2. 14th Pick + #5 Seed vs. Blazers in the first round (+no home court against GSW in the second round)

60 vote(s)
    20.4%
  3. Some other scenario where Clippers lose or Rockets lose (which seems highly unlikely)

3 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. Kash

Kash Member

We had their number last year, and now they're beating us. Things change.

The Spurs also had Houston's number in '95 ... And then the playoffs happened. THINGS CHANGE!

2. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

****. I see. So one has to lose for them to be 5th.

3. jogo

jogo Member

Is it possible for SA to get the 5th seed? If so, that's what I want!

If we win and SA loses, does that mean we're #2 and SAS is #5? That's the best situation, easily. But do they need LAC to lose as well for SAS to go to #5?

4. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

we win, SA loses, Mem loses. That is the way for them to be 5

5. MFG16

MFG16 Member

I voted for the 18th pick and #2 seed but my dream scenario would be facing Dallas in round 1 and the Clippers in round 2. This gives us the best chance to advance to the WCF. Yes, I know the Clippers are a bad match up for us but people tend to forget that they collapse in the playoffs. I've seen the Clippers play a lot this year and they have some of the dumbest turnovers I've ever seen in an NBA game (not to mention how much they complain; Refs might swallow their whistle a lot against them versus any other team). The Rockets have turnover problems themselves but not to the extant of the Clippers. Plus CP3 has never been out of the second round. Not saying he couldn't do it this year but I like those odds better than SA or GS. And if all else fails we can always hack a Jordan. Yes they'd hack back but at least we could retaliate (longest games ever?).

6. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Agreed the value is perceived as more valuable. Which is why i think morey may actually draft and keep the drafted player. Year 3 and 4 on his contract will be parsons/beverley level cheap when tthe new cba drops. He could be a very flexible and valuable asset if he turns into a jones/dmo level player. Even more if he is to reach parsons type of play.

Stilll. Id much rather have the 2seed than that slight advantage in a future asset

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I think that's clearly you being pessimistic. The Pelicans are a good team that will be playing at home in front of a raucous crowd with their playoff lives on the line. The Jazz are a lottery team that's shut down their star player (Hayward) and will be playing on the road.

My guess is lines will be something like SA -4, HOU -9.

8. vince

vince Member

Reality is that any of the 2-6 teams will be a 100% threat to advance into the 2nd round. And Dallas at #7 is no cake walk either. so best case is getting the #2 seed to have home court over anybody we face in the 2nd round. And in this western conf, GS isnt assured of making it out of the first 2 rounds. just like it will be a battle for any of the other teams.

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

would prefer the #2 seed just to have homecourt in the second if the Rockets advance that far. The pick moving up while it would be nice is such an unknown that it should have no bearing on what the Rockets do this season. I mean we don't know yet exactly how many players will declare, what overseas guys will declare. How their workouts go, where teams may pick and who may actually fall into the 14 spot. Go with someone that is a bit more definite.

That all being said - the Jazz have not been an easy team since the all star break. Gobert has become like Mutombo down there sending back shots and rebounding. He had a double double in the FIRST quarter against us last time. Hopefully with Dwight and Jones we can compete against them on the glass better. Favors and Gobert just were relentless last game.

The Rockets are in the biggest must win game of the season - homecourt in the first round is tantamount for them to give themselves the best shot to advance. I hope James and Dwight are as focused as they can be and come out on a mission

10. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

The other question is, which 8 seed gives the GsW a run for their money in the first round? I think a healthy Pelicans team might be able to them to 7 games and wear them down for the second round with a more grind it out defensive effort.

Who's more likely to upset the Warriors : Pelicans or OKC?

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

okc is horrible right now. nop have a better chance by far.

12. CCorn

CCorn Member

Pelicans are the bigger threat. Put pressure on Bogut to try and stop Davis.

13. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

I'm going to say this. It doesn't matter who the Rockets end up drawing for the first round. The Rockets have A LOT to prove and they should feel some heat/pressure for it. Last year's debacle against the Blazers was an UTTER failure. Unacceptable.

If the Rockets end up playing the Spurs on the road in Round 1 (unlikely I know), guess what, they HAVE to win that series. First Round is a given......it HAS to be won by the Rockets regardless of who they play. No Beverley and No DMO.....so what? No excuses.

Really tired of the same ol excuses every year (regardless if they are valid). If you are the better team with Championship aspirations, it ABSOLUTELY has to start this year with a very good playoff run.

Harden must not be neutralized AGAIN in the playoffs. I don't care if Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green (examples) are on him the whole time like white on rice. Ask Kobe if he would ever allow himself to be neutralized in a series by Ron Artest/Battier? Kobe would NEVER allow for that to happen.

Harden has had a career year thus far and appears to be the "real deal" in echelon of "special stars" in the GOAT talks. BUT, his legacy has to be imprinted starting this year. No more next year stuff. If Harden can't get it done this year regardless of circumstances, then he just doesn't belong in the convo of the Kobes, Jordans and Olajuwons.

Sorry but this is just how I feel this year. Last year's Lillard dagger was just the "perfect" ending to a complete disappointment of a series upset.

McHale getting outcoached is also not an option. Even if it is POP he goes against (and I respect POP greatly for obvious reasons), Rockets HAVE to prevail this playoffs.

If the Rockets feel some pressure, guess what......they SHOULD. They deserve to feel that way and ultimately the onus is on them to overcome the Goliaths.

David

14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Pelicans could at least win a couple games if they play well. OKC will likely get 1 at most. They just don't have enough bodies(unless Ibaka recovers quickly). And if Davis can get Bogut in foul trouble, that'll really impact the Warriors' defense. I can't see Kanter doing the same.

15. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

So basically trade our 14th pick for someone's 18th pick to move up in seedings.

That's a big price.

16. FanSince93

FanSince93 Member

So true. Thank you.

But you know, you are making the MAK(Morey/McHale a** kissers) people very nervous. If you take out the "Next year" option, that makes MAK people very angry. :mad:

17. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

If we win, and SAS loses, we would need for LAC to win and MEM to lose for SAS to go to #5 seed. Both HOU and LAC would finish (in that scenario) of 56-26, HOU would be #2 (as division winner), LAC would be #3, SA would be #5 at 55-27, and MEM would be #6 with 54-28.

18. JHL85

JHL85 Member

If Grizzlies decide to rest their starters, this scenario is certainly possible... Not really a source... but see below.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nba/53477/45/westbrook-okc-still-alive

"The Grizzlies needed this game to win their division and have fallen to the No. 6 seed in the West. They’ll try to win on Wednesday against the Pacers, but they’ve also got some health issues to tend to. Mike Conley missed hit third straight game and Tony Allen has missed eight in a row, and my guess is they rest again on Wednesday. Marc Gasol is dealing with a sprained ankle, and Jeff Green has a sore lower back, so it’s possible the Grizzlies give up on playoff seeding and just try to get their guys healthy before the playoffs. Jordan Adams (19 points) and Russ Smith (16 points in 10 minutes) led the Grizzlies tonight, and that leads me to believe the Grizzlies have given up on the regular season."

19. Postpremium

Postpremium Member

Best case scenario IMO is we secure the 3 seed with a Rockets and Spurs win and a Clippers loss. That way we avoid the Warriors until the WCF AND get the higher draft pick. Home court doesn't concern me too much as we have the second best away record in the entire league.

20. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

0%=0%.