1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Win Win Situation. We either get 14th pick or #2 Seed.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JHL85, Apr 14, 2015.

?

What would you prefer?

1. 18th Pick + #2 Seed vs. Mavs in the first round (+guaranteed HCA against Spurs(?) in 2nd round)

231 vote(s)
    78.6%
  2. 14th Pick + #5 Seed vs. Blazers in the first round (+no home court against GSW in the second round)

60 vote(s)
    20.4%
  3. Some other scenario where Clippers lose or Rockets lose (which seems highly unlikely)

3 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. finsraider

finsraider Member

#2 seed. If SA loses, then they drop all the way to 5th and we avoid both GSW and SA for the 1st two rounds.

2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I don't care what seed or draft pick or home court advantage we get as long as we don't play the Spurs in the first round.

Call me a whimp, but after all the injuries this team has had this season, we need a series against an opponent we will fair better against so we can work a little more on our chemistry and essentially get some extra practice before we face the defending champs. Maybe give us a chance to work on our weaknesses a little, so Popovich won't be able to exploit them to the max. It also gives us a better chance of getting that first round monkey off our backs, which would at least be good for next season.

I know some people want to say cliches like "you want to be the best, you have to beat the best," but I don't see why it hurts to be a little pragmatic about it.

3. splendidchen

splendidchen Member

Well said, totally agree.
    Unfortunately it's mostly on what the Spurs do, not under our control. They also have a huge stake in their last game. With the way they've been playing, the chance of them losing isn't that great.

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

This.

5. DCkid

Just a correction, we would not get the pick because it is top-5 protected. If the pelicans were to win the lottery they would keep the pick.

Basically, if the Pelicans don't make the playoffs we definitely DO NOT want them to win the lottery, because 14th is probably the best pick we'll ever get from them. They will most likely be a playoff team next season and future seasons.

6. DCkid

Mission accomplished, apparently. The Rockets will not play the Spurs under any scenario.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Fair enough, but Lamb was the right guy at the right time, who likely wouldn't have been there at 18.

Late lotto picks are only valuable if you get a guy who other teams perceive to have early/mid lotto value - you're much more likely to do that at 14 than at 18.

8. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

I just want to face Blazers and then the Warriors, see how we do against a contender in a series. We will learn from it and who knows, we might be able to win.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think we'd obviously take seeding over any improvement in the draft pick that's possible at this point. But, it is kinda cool that it's working as a natural (if incomplete) hedge.

10. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

So you would rather face GW on the road in the second as oppose to SA with home court?

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm not so sure we'll beat the Jazz. We struggle against big teams, especially with us losing our only 7-footer.

12. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

This.

13. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

If you think Pop and the Spurs are just going to rest tomorrow night:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>So, after 81 games looks like if...
    A- We win, we'll get 2nd seed.
    B- We lose, we'll get 6th seed.
    Smh. Unbelievable! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/westernconference?src=hash">#westernconference</a></p>&mdash; Manu Ginobili (@manuginobili) <a href="https://twitter.com/manuginobili/status/587981627369791488">April 14, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. valorita

valorita Member

I thought that clips get the two seed because they have a better division record than us even if we have the same record.

15. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Your going to have to play both the Warriors and the Spurs to get out of the west, its unavoidable. For me I mine as well play the Warriors first and get the lottery pick. Picking your poison on who you want to see the rockets play first between Golden State and SA should be the question?

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

All I know is it's time to overhaul the playoff format.

#96 DonnyMost, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Would rather have used that pick during the trade window when it had much more value for another playmaker.

18. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Its a playoff game for both the Spurs and the Pelicans. Only thing the Pels can hope for is OKC loses to the Timberwolves IMO.

19. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Isn't that wrong? They get 5th seed.

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Not if the Clippers and Grizzlies win their remaining games. They don't have the tiebreaker over either team.