1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Win Win Situation. We either get 14th pick or #2 Seed.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JHL85, Apr 14, 2015.

?

What would you prefer?

1. 18th Pick + #2 Seed vs. Mavs in the first round (+guaranteed HCA against Spurs(?) in 2nd round)

231 vote(s)
    78.6%
  2. 14th Pick + #5 Seed vs. Blazers in the first round (+no home court against GSW in the second round)

60 vote(s)
    20.4%
  3. Some other scenario where Clippers lose or Rockets lose (which seems highly unlikely)

3 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i'll take the division championship and HCA against the clippers in the second round.

a) we get a banner
    b) we get our best chance to advance to the WCF
    c) it only costs us 4 picks in the draft

now if the clippers happen to lose, there would be no difference to me between 2nd, 3rd, and 5th because either way we play the spurs or warriors in the second round, so in that case just give me the lotto pick and the first round win.

but if theres a chance to play the clipps in the second round with HCA, i'll take our chances to advance.

2. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

I disagree completely with most of you, i would much rather get the #5 seed and play GS then SA , instead of LAC then SA or GS....I think our toughest matchup in the west is LAC and i would like to avoid them at all costs , even if it means HCA in the second round( means a lot but not with this rocket team)

3. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Portland is much better than Dallas.

4. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

If the rockets had Beverly, DMO and were almost 100% healthy I would take #2 seed and 18th pick (no brainer), but since their missing two core rotation players and have two 37 year old PGs heading into the playoffs, I'll take my chances with the 5th seed and the consolation prize of the 14th pick.

5. Zbed

Zbed Member

Do your job, Brow.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The value of the pick is in a trade. Lamb was the centerpiece of the Harden deal.

4 picks late and he would have been gone.

The Rockets will likely draft a guy whom at least one team feels is a top 10 quality player at 14. Not so at 18.

7. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Have to agree with you about trading the pick but if a Kaminsky or a Myles Turner falls to #14 they would be hard to let go IMO.

8. splendidchen

splendidchen Member

Seeding does not determine HCA, but tie-breaker does for teams with the same W/L record. The No.1 tie-breaker is: "Is any of the two teams a division winner?" So yes, we win and the spurs lose, we are guaranteed HCA for the first two rounds.

9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Give me the division title and #2 seed. Screw the pick. The ideal scenario tomorrow is Rockets beat the Jazz, Spurs lose at the Pelicans, and the Grizzlies fall to the Pacers at home.

Then we'd be 2nd facing the Mavs and the 3-6 matchup would be LA vs. Memphis. Meaning we avoid the Warriors and Spurs til the WCF. I can't think of a better path through the first 2 rounds than that.

10. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Huh? :confused:

11. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

So we neeed Grizz to lose too?

God damn I'm so confused! So many things...

12. count_dough-ku

Oh, no. Not to finish 2nd or 5th. But if we wanna avoid the Spurs til the WCF AND get the 2nd seed, we would need Memphis to lose their final game cuz they currently hold the tiebreaker over San Antonio.

13. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Ok. If this plays out but clips win and we get 2nd. If the clippers and Rockets both advanced to second round who gets home court if our records are tied? Do we get hca cause we won division or do they cause they own tiebreaker?

14. Airdough

Airdough Member

I forgot to add to my scenario that the Rockets can get the 3 seed with a win, a Spurs win, and a Clippers loss. The only team with seeding to be determined that is virtually locked into their seed are the Grizzlies who can't get better than 5 no matter the outcome of the remaining games.

The Spurs magic number is 1 (win or Rockets loss) and they are virtually guaranteed at least the 3 seed since they hold tiebreakers over everyone else except the Grizzlies in the event of a two way tie. It's quite ridiculous.

15. count_dough-ku

I would assume if the division tiebreaker is good enough to get us the 2nd seed, it should be good enough for homecourt in Round 2.

16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Isn't this fun? :p

17. opticon

opticon Member

14th pick and golden state in the secondis what I would want.
    To me it's all about the title. IF we want the title we have to go through GS either way.

If we don't win the title we at least have a trade asset that can help us get better which will help our chances winning the title next season and beyond.

The sooner we face golden state while harden and Dwight are healthy the better.

Imagine if in the 2009 season we played the Lakers in the first round with a healthy Yao. We would have beat the Lakers. What was left of our team would have been good enough to make it to the finals.

Just my two cents.

18. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

Easily the #2 seed.

1. Get a division title- no matter what happens in the playoffs we'll always have that in the history books.

2. Much more likely Harden gets MVP (even though a 1 game difference, carrying your team to the #2 seed vs. the #5 seed looks much better on paper to the media that votes)- no matter what happens in the playoffs we'll always have that in the history books.

3. Home court for two rounds

4. Possibility of avoiding our worst matchups until the WCF (where Bev could return).

5. Get arguably our most favorable matchup.

6. Great revenge series against arguably our most hated rival.

vs.

1. A 0.5% chance at the number 1 pick.

2. Drafting 4 spots higher.

3. Great revenge series for the playoffs last year.

How is this even a question?

19. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I agree with your sentiments about top-10 player at 14 and not at 18. But let's not kid ourselves the Toronto pick was clearly centerpiece of that trade. Kevin Martin, his contract and the ability to somewhat replace hardens production was second. Lamb was the upside asset and third fiddle to the trade.

I agree that maybe they don't do that trade for Jones instead but none the less.

I've been confident that morey deoes a trade this off-season but i been thinking abd I'm not sure it's a sure thing. With the salary increase coming. This year's rookie scale will be extreme value in year 2-4 if they become a quality player.

That type of flexibility has to be something morey is contemplating

20. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

2nd seed. in the stacked west u need as much help u can get. the difference between 14 and 18 isnt gonna be huge. jones was picked earlier than dmo and overall they're both about the same

we already got a bunch of youngns with dmon, jones, capella, nick and add whoever we get in this draft. at least 5. dont want too much of that if you're in win now mode.