1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Win Win Situation. We either get 14th pick or #2 Seed.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JHL85, Apr 14, 2015.

?

What would you prefer?

1. 18th Pick + #2 Seed vs. Mavs in the first round (+guaranteed HCA against Spurs(?) in 2nd round)

231 vote(s)
    78.6%
  2. 14th Pick + #5 Seed vs. Blazers in the first round (+no home court against GSW in the second round)

60 vote(s)
    20.4%
  3. Some other scenario where Clippers lose or Rockets lose (which seems highly unlikely)

3 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. aakhan786

aakhan786 Contributing Member

Good question, can someone confirm this? Just curious how would this playout in the second round having the same record with the Clips. Remember, having the 2 seed because of being a division winner is one thing, but in the second round, does the seeding matter if you're facing an opponent with the same record as you but they had a better conf record (assuming head to head was even).

2. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I'll take the lotto pick and 5 seed. I can't imagine this team winning against the Spurs or Warriors with only one real perimeter option plus no DMo or Bev. Getting out of the first round is progress for the team and they will have a better trading piece to find another playmaker.

3. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets had fewer of those type of loses than most playoff teams, couple that with the longest losing streak being two and the consistency and effort was there, especially with the injury situation being the way it has been. The Grizzlies loss was bad.... So was the Spurs 1 point loss... Because it also added a loss to those teams... Had they beat the Spurs, we would have set up a probable SA/LAC first round match up with a possible SA/GS match up.

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

If you don't want the #2 seed then you're un-American.

Go America.
    Go Rockets.

5. aakhan786

aakhan786 Contributing Member

Is this true even? Especially if we face the clippers who have a better conf record than us and having the same record as us?

6. JHL85

JHL85 Member

I thought that was the case. Can anyone confirm? I thought the only scenario where the lower seed can get HCA over the higher seed in the playoffs is when the division winner top 4 rule is triggered (gets automatically slotted in as a top 4 seed i.e. Portland).

7. JHL85

JHL85 Member

Per http://stats.nba.com/playoffpicture

"For purposes of home court advantage, ties will be broken pursuant to the procedures used for breaking two-team ties for playoff position."

a. Two Teams Tied
    (1) Division leader wins tie from team not leading a division.
    (2) Better winning percentage in games against each other.
    (3) Better winning percentage against teams in own division (only if tied teams are in same division).
    (4) Better winning percentage against teams in own conference.
    (5) Better winning percentage against teams eligible for playoffs in own conference (including teams that finished the regular season tied for a playoff position).
    (6) Better winning percentage against teams eligible for playoffs in opposite conference (including teams that finished the regular season tied for a playoff position).
    (7) Better net result of total points scored less total points allowed against all opponents (“point differential”).

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>BLOODBATH 3.0 <a href="http://t.co/zYdeHwA5vT">pic.twitter.com/zYdeHwA5vT</a></p>&mdash; Hardwood Paroxysm (@HPbasketball) <a href="https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/status/587857185079607299">April 14, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

It'd be nice to finally have a division banner again after over 20 years. I know it's not an NBA title, but damn, it's been all Spurs with some Jazz, Mavs, and even Hornets and T-Wolves since then. The freakin T-Wolves have a division banner more recently than the Rockets!

10. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

We would get the 2nd seed if SA looses and we win regardless of Clippers results. We are division winners. Warriors are the div champs for the clipppers div

11. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

The best case scenario is

Rockets win
    Spurs lose
    Clippers win
    Grizzlies lose

That would put Rockets in 2, Clippers in 3, Spurs in 5, and Grizzlies in 6. You avoid Spurs or Warriors in the 2nd round assuming you get there and you get the 18th pick.

12. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

I just want to win the Jazz game and I expect the Spurs and Clippers to win so 5th seed, here we come, I hope..

13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Oh holy basketball day! All the chips we needed to fall have fallen so far. New Orleans is going to be one motivated team and I sincerely hope we are as well. Go Rox!

14. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

Lets beat the Jazz first.

15. Normalus

Normalus Member

I rather take 14th pick and play against Blazers with home court advantage. I don't think we can make anything big this season but make 2nd round of the playoffs, so I don't think there's any difference to play Dallas or Portland, both with home court advantage.

16. cmellon

cmellon Member

Hey... if you want to be the best, you should beat the best. Forget about having favorable matchup. Give me the hardest matchups and we beat them all!! :eek:

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Always the 2 seed...

The longer we play, the better our players are going to get. I want to go deep into the second round.

We are still developing, and maybe If we last long enough we can get Bev back?

18. the shark

the shark Member

19. WestendMassive

I really hope we don't see the worst case scenario: we lose and the Pellies win = 6th seed and the 18th pick. But this is the Rockets we're talking about so it's probably what's going to happen..