1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wilt Chamberlain scouting tool: Scoring

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by CavaliersFTW, Mar 12, 2014.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Probably half of them or more.

Wilt was definitely the best at posting up 6-7 Jewish beanpoles though.

Casspi would have a real TUFF time.

1 person likes this.
  2. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

uhh what? you swim the fastest you can. it's not like your opponent can tackle you or hold you to swim faster. how hard is that to understand

3. adobo

adobo Member

Do I get a medal then, since I swim the fastest I can everytime i do laps on the pool. I must be the greatest swimmer ever

4. Mr. Space City

centers now would probably average a ton of more rebounds per game.

In 1967, the league average in the playoffs was 102 FGA per game on 42% FG, 35 FTA per game on 72%, and 116 points per game. That means that the average team made 43-102 shots and 25-35 FTs. There were 69 rebounds per game to grab at least.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_1967.html

Compare that to 2013, where the league average in the playoffs was 77 FGA per game on 44% FG, 23 FTA per game on 75%, and 95 points per game breh. That means that the average team made 34-77 shots and 17-23 FTs. There were 49 rebounds per game to grab at least.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_2013.html

5. Mr. Space City

\

fixed*

6. SamFisher

This is probably due to the fact that players in his era were smaller and less athletic (and played horrible defense).

Issac Newton's conception of the universe was less accurate than Einstein, just like Galileo's was less accurate than Newton's.

Why is this ridiculous to point out? It's simply true.

7. adobo

adobo Member

This is really irrelevant if want to look back on Wilt's legacy as one of the greatest ever. Statistically, he was so dominant against his opponents in his prime at HIS time. I'm not comparing him to players now since the league has changed way too much to do a fair comparison, and also as Ive mentioned, you can only go as high as what was the bench mark at your time and how far your opponents take you.

8. adobo

adobo Member

Does that mean that Isaac Newton is not one of or the greatest scientific mind in history? If you say no then you have the whole scientific community against you

9. Mr. Space City

i acknowledge his greatness. some people just need to look at his stats in context. there where a lot of players in that era that put up :eek::eek::eek::eek: stats as well that people completely forget about. wilt's stats definitely stand out the most though.

10. SamFisher

It means if you compared Issac Newton to people today, he wouldn't be considered a world-changing genius, and he probably wouldn't be any better at validating superstring theory or whatever than any of his contemporaries.

you know, like how the Bad Boy Pistons would be considered average at best compared to today's far more effective defenses.

11. adobo

adobo Member

Without Newton, you probably wouldnt have Einstein and all the current scientific knowledge we have now. Just like what Newton said about "standing on the shoulders of giants".

I've already told you about the Bad Boy pistons ppp and todays league. Not opening that up again, since you tend to repeat arguments.

12. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

you're an idiot and can't understand the concept that swimming competition doesn't equate the competition in basketball.

13. adobo

adobo Member

I think you need to look at the context of what I'm trying to say to you....I really don't like to have to spell it out for you

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It is ridiculous to believe that Galileo and Newton were less of a genius than Einstein. It is ridiculous to believe that today's high school kids are smarter than Galileo.

If that's not obvious to you, I don't know what to say.

15. SamFisher

Who's higher, the giant, or the one standing on his shoulders? That seems to be assumed in sir Ike's formulation.

No use opening up again because it's the same argument as above, with the same outcome for you.

16. SamFisher

It's not however ridiculous to assume that you know more about the universe than him (you do, or at least have access to more information) - and that today's basketball players are better at basketball than those of generations ago.

In fact, it's ridiculous to believe otherwise. Do you believe that Wilt's competition was crappier than today's NBA? The only plausible answer is "yes they were".

17. adobo

adobo Member

Okay, i'll use your logic...since I know more about general relativity than Newton (who would have no idea what the heck that is), then I must be greater than Newton. Since I know that the Sun is in the centre of our solar system rather than having to discover it through mathematics (pfft what a noob, doesnt he know its easier to look it up on google) then I must be greater than him.

Regarding your argument about Bad Boy pistons, look up the other thread...not going to clutter this thread with that argument again

18. adobo

adobo Member

*Fixed

19. Mr. Space City

wilt would probably averaage 30/20 center now imo

20. Mr. Space City

fixed*