1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Willis Signs With Arch Rival!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pippendagimp, Aug 26, 2002.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Monday, August 26

Willis latest to aid Robinson in paint for Spurs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

SAN ANTONIO -- SAN ANTONIO -- The San Antonio Spurs, who have dealt away most of their backup big men from last year, have signed veteran Kevin Willis to play behind starting center David Robinson.

The Spurs did not disclose the terms of the deal.

Willis, who turns 40 on Sept. 6, has played for six teams in his 18-year NBA career. In 2001-02, he was with the Houston Rockets, averaging 6.1 points and 5.8 rebounds while playing in 52 games.

The 7-foot, 245-pound Willis has also played for Atlanta, Miami, Golden State, Toronto and Denver.

For his career, he has averaged 13.1 points and nine rebounds per game.

His best years were in the early 1990s with the Hawks, who took him out of Michigan State with the 11th overall pick in the 1984 draft. From 1991-92 through 1994-95, he averaged 18.2 points and 12.9 rebounds per game.

Mark Bryant backed up Robinson at center for much of last season, but in June he was traded to Philadelphia as part of the deal that brought point guard Speedy Claxton to San Antonio.

Earlier this month, center-forward Amal McCaskill, who spent most of the season on the injured list, was shipped to Portland with guards Antonio Daniels and Charles Smith for guards Steve Kerr and Erick Barkley.

Cherokee Parks was on the Spurs roster in 2001-02. He became a free agent when the season ended.

Sorry, didn't see The Cat's post on this in the NBA Forum - please remove thread as necessary....

#1 pippendagimp, Aug 26, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2002
  2. codell

codell Contributing Member

Im not big fan of the Spurs, but Im happy to see Willis catch on with another team. Have you seen Willis' career numbers? Not bad! Borderline hall of fame #s. Its a shame that Willis did not rub off on Cato more when he was here. It would be nice if Cato developed Kevins work etthic and attitude.

3. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

scary... the last thing we need is for the spurs to get tougher in the middle!

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I don't think a contending team usually considers a team that's missed the playoffs 3 years in a row to be an "Arch Rival", but that's just me...

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I was looking into my crystal ball ;)

It's unfortunate we're stuck with Collier's salary on the books. Otherwise Willis would have made a nice mentor not only for Cato, but for Ming as well. He surely would have worked him the weight room.

6. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

Excellent move for the Spurs and Willis. I've been thinking they'd bring him here to back up and fill in for DRob. I'm just surprised it took this long.

I think it would've been much better for Willis,though,to sign with the Lakers. He could've gotten decent,meaningful minutes and a ring.

7. aznlincolnpark

Good luck to willis with the spur :D

8. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

Congrats to Willis. He deserves to go to a top team. I think he'll do real well there. Another positive is that he'll have plenty of time to lift weights since there's nothing else to do in that one horse town. Then again, Kevin does seem like the kind of person that enjoys watching sea animals flying throught the air.

As for you TheFreak. YOU b*stard. How dare you. My delusions are real and if I choose to make every team in the NBA a Rockets "Arch Rival" then you better damned well get used to it.:D

A little extra energy these days as the season is coming up soon. Football is just around the corner and those greedy ass b*stard stickball players won't be occupying my Tivo much longer.:mad:

:p :eek: :confused: :eek: :) :rolleyes: ;) :cool:

9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I don't think a team that got abused in the playoffs by the Rockets the way the Spurs have, should be considered a rival for the Rockets, but that's just me.

Congrats to big Kev!

10. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Iam going to miss Kevin "Old School" Willis, I was a huge fan of his, Oh well I hope he does well in all but 4 games this year. thats when they play us lol

11. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Screw the Spurs and screw Kevin Willis.

12. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think last year was Cato's best. I partially attribute that to Kevin. Hard not to wish him well. He was a real soldier for us both times. Came cheap both times, did as asked, and never complained (as near as I can tell) though he had reasonable beefs. I wish there were more like him.

13. off_welfare

off_welfare Member

At least he didnt join Utah. So give him props there!

14. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

OUCH! Big Kev is a class act and a hard-working player he deserves a crack at the ring. He took less money to come to the Rockets in 1996-97 to help the Rockets make a run at a championship, and never complained about his role or his minutes. Then he was traded over here last year, and on an injury depleted team saw his minutes dwindle, yet did you hear him complain? Nope, he sucked it up and did his job. Now he has signed with the Spurs (when he could have signed with the Lakers, which would have been MUCH worse for the other contenders), and did he badmouth Rudy or the Rockets, or mock the Rocket or laugh at the Rockets or give them the throat slit like Pippen, or Elie, or Dream did? Nope. He just signed quietly. I have a ton of respect for the man, and I hope he gets his ring.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I have a ton of respect for him too, but I DO NOT hope he gets that ring now!!

16. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Hear, hear! Good move for the Spurs. If it comes down to L.A. versus San Antonio again, I hope Kevin gets his ring.

17. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I like the guy too. He was very professional in his behaviour. But now is Spur! :mad: So screw him and the Spurs.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Kevin will no doubt have his best games against us. :(
    The only thing I wish Kevin had done (besides play more) when he was with the Rocks was pass the damn ball. I wish him well, except when he plays us.

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When I read this thread title, I was certain that Willis had signed with the Jazz. I'm glad he didn't.

20. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Man, I think everyone should be in a congratulatory mood.

At least the Spurs will not win a title this year, the signing of Kevin Willis just verified that.

If the Spurs go to the West Finals or even the semis this year, then Kevin Willis will probably go 2-14 or something like that, He will take untimely shots that will kill the Spurs.

And when Willis brings the Spurs down, Tim Duncan will go to Orlando, and the Rockets will be back baby!!!