1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Willie Warren... second round??

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by jevon3012, Mar 5, 2010.

1. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

nbadraft.net has this guy going at 32. I watched this guy played a few times and I cannot understand this at all. He's an amazing scorer because hes strong enough around the basket to finish. Typically, these are the kinds of guys that make it big in the NBA. Yes, hes 6'4 and not a point guard but what does backcourt height even mean in today's NBA. When have we ever said with Lowry and Brooks on the court, 'man our backcourt is too small'. It doesn't really even matter because hes strong enough to guard a wing. I say we take X. Henry with our lotto pick and buy an early second rounder and take Warren.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

we have a 6'3" PG prospect already in Sergio Llull.

3. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Okay let's see we have Jermaine Taylor, Arriza, Martin, Lowry and even Battier has played some 2. We have LLull waiting overseas and you want us to draft 2 more.

Are you trying to open up a WINGS-R-US.

Seriously even if we needed a wing I am not sure I would draft Henry. Especially in the lottery. He can and shoot a 3 but hasn't shown anything else. If I can't get Evan Turner or Wes Johnson I would probably take Elias Harris over overrated Henry.

As for Willie Warren, he is definitely worth a second round pick for someone but won't make it that far simply because he can create his own shot better than Henry. But why would we want him when Taylor creates better than Willie.

The bottom line is we need a big in the worst way. We need a shot-blocking rebounding big. Any discussion of wings should be limited to the various types Mild, Medium, Hot, 3 Mile Island, 911 while staring at Hooters.

4. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Funny, at the beginning of the season he was projected in the top 5.

If I remember correctly one of the reasons he has fallen is his ability to lead his team.

I think when it's all said and done he'll be drafted at around 20, and he might be a steal to be honest..

5. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I think our pick is to high to draft Xavier Henry(his more around 16-18), but going after Warren in the second rd. is legitimate, I would love to see him coming of the bench....specially if Brooks & Taylor are involved in a trade this summer...

However before going after Warren by purchasing picks in the second round I woudn't mind if they go after Bradley (late 1st) b/f they go after Warren...

1st rd. pick (10th-13th) draft Donatas Montiejunas PF/C

purchase or trade for 1st rd pick (22-30th) draft Avery Bradley PG/SG or purchase 2nd rd. pick and draft Warren (32nd) PG/SG

purchase 2nd rd pick 41 draft Dexter Pittman C

--RB

6. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Pittman sucks, Bradley does not have a consistent shot (although he has good D). I really want Greg Monroe or Whiteside

7. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

He was a Top 5 prospect entering this year. However,

1. There were high expectations for Oklahoma, and they have completely not met them.

2. Warren has not shown this year he can carry his team. Combine this with his shooting being fairly inconsistent, he has disappointed in his play to some extents. To be fair, he had no help at all early this year. The loss of Blake Griffin's post threat has hurt him a great deal.

3. I remember reading something about his coach saying he is not stepping to be leader or something. Not a good testament to come out in your last year of college.

4. He has gotten a bad ankle sprain during the early part of the Big 12 schedule which made it hard to rebound from his early season struggles. I also think he has tried to come back too soon from this injury and he re-injured it. If he wants to come out this year, he would have to be healthy enough to play in the Big 12 tourney, though it is not looking like that is likely.

5. Their Frestman PG, Mason-Griffin, figured out how to play somewhat early in the Big 12 season. He has played much better than Warren for stretches.

All of those have revealed some cracks. Warren still has the Big 12 tourney to show he has what it takes. He also has the metrics, so he will likely impress in workouts.

However, Warren is only a Sophomore. Given that it is widely expected that this draft is stocked with talent, though most of it rough-around-the-edges and young, and he has had a Wiley Coyote disaster of a seson, I easily could see Warren staying at Oklahoma for his Junior year and coming out in 2011. I think it may be possible for him to test the draft waters without an agent this year, but he was such a highly touted prospect I do not see how that would help him much.

As he is now, Warren seems like he would become a tweener 2/"not perfect" 1. Basically an Eric Gordan-lite. If he comes back, to team up with MG while working on his defense and setting up teammates, he would easily climb back into the lottery, but in 2011.

8. alex09xu

alex09xu Member

9. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I actually hope he says in another season. He's a talented player, but I could see him going higher in another year... because of the "hyped" players that are all coming out this year.

10. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Buy a 2nd round pick and draft him Morey. Would be a total steal. Kid can ball for sure.

11. HoustonN06

HoustonN06 Member

Lol... This is the last guy we need. He is INCREDIBLY SOFT. Would be a horrible pick.

12. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

Willie Warren can hoop. People need to stop hating. He can easily play the pg position and defend both guard spots. Hes strong and can finish. He would be a steal no doubt about it. His shot will not be an issue he has great form.