1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Williams for Sura?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houstone, Sep 30, 2001.

1. Houstone

Houstone Member

2. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Would we have to throw someone else in the trade to make it work? Or does the exception allow us to waive off the 15% rule and take on 3.25 mill more in a trade?

3. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

God, please don't let this be true!

4. rock

rock Member

Rockets fans may be happy to think that Jackson is finished with Golden State but the Times is reporting that a deal may be in the works to trade Walt (Wizard) Williams for Bobby (Bad Back) Sura to compensate the Warriors for not matching Houston's offer. Aside from Sura's injury history, the length of his contract to 2004 versus Williams one year remaining makes the Jackson signing much less attractive.

I would much rather keep the Wizard.

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

GS has no intention of signing Jackson. I hope the Rockets don't fall for this BS (if this is true).

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Then they can play "Slim Shady" at every home game :D.

Seriously, that guy wanted to sue the Rockets last season (for playing that song during his free throw attempts) - I doubt that they would take him.

7. Houstone

Houstone Member

He really wanted to sue?

If he did and if he's going to play here he's going to hear that song all the time.

8. Houstone

Houstone Member

9. enbehay

enbehay Member

Williams for Sura -- that would make me ill. It would make no sense. CD surely knows GS is bluffing. I'm not that big of a fan of Marc Jackson, but the Rocks definitely do not have to give Williams away for naught.

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I wouldn't really mind Sura. He gives us a big PG/SG who would be a great backup for Cat and Francis. If we re-sign Moochie, our quartet of guards are probably the best in the NBA. Add that with our depth at the Forward and Center positions, and we have one of the deepest teams in the league.

11. Houstone

Houstone Member

I dont really like Sura, he's not worth giving up Walt. I rather give up a second round draft pick.

12. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Since when did Walt have any value?

Sura is an athletic, tall SG who would be the perfect backup to Cat. We are thin in the backcourt, while we have a glut at SF. It seems logical to me to trade an overpaid SF who fills no real need, in exchange for an overpaid SG who at least will give the Rockets what they need, a tall backup SG.

If Griffin is a 3, why in the world do we need Walt? Last I checked, a 2nd stringer would play more than a 3rd stringer.

13. The High Plains Drifter

Sura to me is the ultimate tease as a player. He's incredibly streaky. On the occasion he was healthy for Cleveland he put up some really good numbers, but I think they were pretty empty ones at that. He'll score a lot of points in bunches, especially on 3's, and is an adequate passer and a good rebounder for a guard, but he doesn't seem to make the greatest decisions or play much defense either. Walt vs. Bobby is close to a wash (maybe an edge to Sura) The quesion is whether you can afford to take him and his injury trouble for approximately $18 million over the next 3 seasons. That's a little questionable.

14. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

How about Langhi and Walt for Sura and Porter. I think Langhi would get more P.T. if he went to a team like the Warriors.

15. ArtVandolet

ArtVandolet Member

Call their bluff CD.

16. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

Kidrock8, Walt has value in the sense he comes off the books next year. We will get his 5 million off and so we don't need 5 million more for 2 years in Sura's contract.

I do like Sura and he can put up some pretty good numbers but I don't he is worth it at this time and plus, I don't think Mark Jackson is worth us taking on Sura just to appease Golden State. If they really were pressing this issue, I would try to get their draft pick out of it.

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

This would actually be a very good deal for the Rockets. For all of you complaining about the contract, tell me, how much cap room would we have next year? The answer is none. Folks, with the Jackson signing, we are over the cap. Even if we trade Cato for nothing (very unlikely) we're still going to be right around the cap. The salary cap is not a major issue here. If you look at it objectively, Sura is the better and more consistent player. He can really play some at the 1, 2, and 3, and really has an all-around game. Want some evidence? Let's look at some games where he started or got major minutes (32 and up)

Feb. 3rd-- Mavs -- 28 points, 5 rebounds, 2 asst
    Feb. 7th-- Clips -- 22 points, 6 asst, 4 rebounds
    Feb. 20th-- Raptors -- 11 points, 13 asst, 9 rebounds
    Mar. 16th-- Clippers-- 9 points, 9 rebounds, 8 asst
    Jan. 18th-- Rocets-- 31 points, 6 rebounds, 6 asst

These are just a few of the good games he put up... for a complete list see here:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/bob_sura/game_by_game_stats.html?nav=TextNavBar

Bobby Sura can play... no reason to be angry over that trade.

18. ArtVandolet

ArtVandolet Member

I wouldn't be angry, I just wouldn't do it. Bad-backed, streaky at 5+ mill and climbing? No thanks. I'd take Walt even if the contracts were the same price and length.

I dare GS to match the contract. With the current line-up, contracts, positions - and the bad blood between the 2 - I don't see them doing it. I wouldn't even offer a 2nd round pick.

#18 ArtVandolet, Sep 30, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2001
  19. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I like the idea of getting a good backup shooting guard. And the Rockets have been interested in Bobby before, I remember when they considered (ultimately rejected) a deal of Elie for Sura several years back, when Bobby was in Cleveland. He's got good size, is a solid defender, and a good passer.

I don't like his contract though, or his injury history. I don't like his 39& shooting (27% 3s), either. I would bet that WW can be dealt for more value than this deal, due to his expiring contract. I agree, call the Warriors' bluff. They took Jackson's name off his old locker, for crying out loud.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

At least Marc is making it difficult for them. This is similar to the Glen Rice situation in which I hope he's burning enough bridges to make it difficult for them to want him back. I hope they don't give up on Walt. He's good for a stretch of 15-20 games somewhere in the season. We could use that.