1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Williams Fired - News conference 1PM

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rocketball, Jul 14, 2004.

1. codell

codell Contributing Member

Here is a bit from another article on MLB.com:

Proof of Hunsicker's frustrations surfaced when he was asked how he expects the players to react to the managerial change.

"I don't really care what they think," he said. "They're getting paid to perform. We put a man in place that we feel can help turn this around."

Thats about as forward as you can get. :cool:

2. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

my personal favorite part of the press conference. This team has no more excuses.

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

for some reason, hunsicker saying "flounder" and "clincher" seemed strangely out of place. usually, you just hear "we're struggling" or "in a slump", you know, coach/management speak. flounder is what you'd expect from a frustrated fan. and "clincher" doesn't fit into the whole coachspeak thing either. not that i have a problem with it, it's just that gerry has always seemed so diplomatic and those quotes weren't. then the "i don't really care what they think" comment really sounds like a fan who's pissed off. gerry doesn't sound too happy. guess i wouldn't either if i did a good job of putting together all this talent and they sucked about as bad as they collectively could for a half season plus.

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Bring on Garner! Jimy has had 2 years, we haven't made the playoffs in either of them. Before he came we made it 4 times in 5 years.

I hope the new coaches and manager can get it done in the second half!

I read today that Garner is only an interim coach. They will be shopping for a new one after the season is over.

Go Stros!

5. M&M

M&M Member

Scrappy doo!!! Scrap Iron reminds me of the old days. Hope we can get back to a playoff race. Now if they'd just bring Nolie in as the pitching coach. And whatever happened to Stretch Suba? Ah yes, and "Dome Dogs." Those were the days. Maybe we will turn it around after all. By the way the Terry Tate post was funny.

Oh one more thing. Didn't Jimy come from the Red Sox? Well there was your red flag on the resume captain obvious! Way to waste two years Drayton. The Red Sox are perennial wannabe's.

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

M&M,

If im not mistaken, Stretch Suba is still the bullpen catcher.

He must be like 60 by now.