1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Williams Fired - News conference 1PM

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rocketball, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Are you comparing the 2004 Astros to the also rans Garner coached? I'll b**** if Garner drives the Astros into the ground even worse than Jimy already has done.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Of course I'm not, but that doesn't change the fact that Garner has done nothing in his career to merit a third chance.

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

Again .......name someone who was available that has a proven track record with talented teams.

4. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

RM, you don't want a rookie manager at the helm when you're trying to make a run at a playoff spot. I could possibly see it for a full season but not for a half of one.

I would liked to have seen Baylor get it, but Garner will do. Not much to choose from this time of year.

5. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Guys, forget about the people trying to bring us down in this thread. They are arguing simply for the sake of arguing.

A change needed to be made. Garner is a fiery competitor with a history with the Astros. The Astros management knows him and trusts him. He is a great pick to energize this team. In the middle of the season, it is very hard to pick up your ideal manager. The Astros are doing the right thing by taking on the best possible interim manager, and conducting a full search after the season is finished. Great move today by the Astros.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I said I preferred a rookie coach.

Bob*, great point. I concede and will stop b****ing until we see the results. I'll be in front of the tv every game hoping he proves me wrong!

Hell, I've been doing so much defending of this team, manager, and management for the last two years that I feel I've earned the right to b**** a little. :D

7. codell

Didn't see your first response. Sorry.

With this team of vets......I just don't see a rookie manager getting as much out of them. Much less, their respect.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You and Bob* are exactly right. That's a point I never considered and I have no problem admitting that.

All my b****ing aside, I say, "GO PHIL!!". You're an Astro now and my current favorite manager!

9. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

exactly....this is all we needed was a kick in the pants. hopefully Garner will light a fire under the team, and sit who he needs to sit.

10. codell

Im disappointed. You usually don't give up that easy.

Pansy.

:p

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It's the new, boring RM95!!! :D

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Probably like most other people, I'm not ecstatic about getting Garner, but I am relieved that Jimy is gone. His decisions just never made sense to me.

13. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

You are worng on the soccer take.

The coaching and coaches in soccer are very important part of the game. The the lame eyes, it will appear as nothing is going go but great soccer/football teams constantly shift and maneuver their team formation, tactics and marking as the game dictates.

Only someone who is a novice of the game of soccer would think that soccer coaches do not do much during the game. I have coached at least one soccer team and have played in a few coached ones and I can testify to you that a good coach on the sideline is paramount, important and vital to the success of a team.

14. codell

Boring is good. Or else, you might get stuck working on the project alone with Mr. Kruger.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm not worried about it (as I eat my chocolate cake).

16. codell

Check it out. *Codell begins to spin around in his chair*

Three times around, no feet.!!

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

But during the actual playing of the game on the national level (which is the level my post referred to) aren't the players well versed enough to recognize what they need to do without input from the coach? Haven't they prepared before hand that if Team X attacks this way then we need to defend like this? Assume a football game has 80 plays per team per game. A coach (generally one of the coordinators) is involved with every single play with respect to making a call. In soccer the coaches aren't that "hands on".

My contention was at that level, during the actual playing of the game, the coach has less input than that of a baseball manager, football coach or basketball coach, especially due to the fluidity of the game. and the lack of substitutions.

Of course a good coach is important to the success of any team.

18. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Good move. Not because I dislike Jimy, but something had to be done. There's a chance we could continue on the downward spiral, but they had to try something to salvage this season.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

92 wins with a mediocre at best Milwaukee team that had nothing in the way of a star pitcher and had an aging Robin Yount and Paul Molitor. I would say that he has done something.

By the way, what exactly had Larry Dierker done to merit a first chance? Nothing, but he turned out ok. The situation has as much to do with talent in dictating sucess. Garner had nothing in his years with the Brewers and Tigers.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

92 wins??? over how many seasons???