1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Wafer be a free agent next off-season??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mac_got_this, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

What DD said

I would sign him to an affordable deal right now.

You can't easily replace heart and hustle

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

People on this board always wanted to shoe horn guys into to stand around players. When it was brought up about slashers, people would talk spacing. Slashing creates spacing. That's why I turn the heat up on shane. Shane was not this bad of a offensive player in Memphis. I don't know what happened, but Shane had a pretty good, well rounded offensive game in memphis. That's what the rox thought they were getting. Since he's come to houston, either by coaching or his own will, he's become a awful offensive influence. There are so many chances for him to be a factor on offense, yet he does nothing. Teams play him with guys 4 inches smaller and dare him to put the ball on the floor. In transition, he never fills the lane to try to get easy baskets. When he dumps it to Yao he never fakes the shaloow cut then backdoor to the basket. Having a guy like Wafer just really proves my point. If the rox stop getting players like head and barry types and instead get slashing guys from the wing, the team would be better off.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Barry used to be a slasher, but we could use a PF in the young Robert Horry mold.

DD

4. Blake

Shane's defense and smart play is vastly UNDERrated around these parts...

5. Blake

except this time let's get one that tries in the regular season, unlike Bob

(still love him, though)

6. DaDakota

Agreed, a guy with superstar talent that just settled for what he was...which wasn't bad, but he could have been better with a better work ethic.

DD

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I'm not going to derail this, but let me blowup your point about being smart and shane. Yao gets the rebound kicks it out to Rafer, rafer is pushing and shane is on the wing. Is it easier to fill the lane for a dunk or layup or stop at the 3pt line and shoot from 23'9? Case 2: Yao gets good post position, shane dumps it to the big guy and proceeds to shallow cut. On the shallow cut is it a smart play to sometimes turn that shallow to a backdoor or to just continue to run the same shallow? Case 3: You're opposite side of postup of Yao. Tracy dumps it, Yao is doubled, he kicks it to rafer, defense rotates who then kicks it to shane. The defense is in a full fledged scramble drill and out of balance. Is it smart to stay on the 3pt line or to drive the ball to the hole?

Everytime someone brings up Shanes lack of offense, all people do is bring up smarts and defense. Well there are things called being in the moment and being aggressive and taking what the defense gives you. I'm telling you, he wasn't this bad as a offensive player. I was watching the playoffs from 2 yrs ago and Harpring, who isn't known as a offensive juggurnaut, was posting up and scoring on shane. On the other end, they wouldn't even guard him and would sink into yao's lap and tilt towards tracy. Shane can't let himself be the Chuck Hayes of wingmen. He needs to take advantage of the creases they give him.

8. DaDakota

Leeb,

Last year during a game, I was sitting courtside, it was during the New Jersey game, Yao was doubled, and the ball swung to the side, Shane was less than 2 feet from me....and his man left him a bit and turned his head.

I yelled out "Cut...Shane...cut"....and he stood there.......before the play ended I sarcastically yelled out "JJ Redick would have made that cut" he turned and smiled.

Shane shoots the corner 3, and posts up, and plays EXCELLENT team defense.

Shane does not cut off the ball.

DD

9. waihh

waihh Contributing Member

I completely agree your opinion on Shane. He is playing too passive a game. If the rockets include Von in the plan, then signing him to a multi-year contract now would be the best time. Player like him will compensate for the presence of pure defensive players such as Shane, Chuck...
    However, I do not agree the amount that most of you propose. Similar to Landry's? MLE? Come on? The guy only played 20 plus games so far. Will that be enough for anyone to get 3-5 million, multi-year?
    Head, Landry were late 1st/ early 2nd round draft picks. Wafer was not even invited to the pre-draft camp for typical 2nd rounders, which at least showed how scouts around the league evaluated Von's talent. Of course if Von plays at a very high level for extended time, the draft history is meaningless. But 20 plus games can not be called extended time.
    That said, I would be all for it if the rockets sign him to a 1.5 million three year deal with only one year guaranteed.

10. waihh

waihh Contributing Member

Talk about trade, fans often mention Head, Hayes and Battier. In the talking of keeping Wafer, their names were inevitably brought up again.

I do not understand to this point why Chuck can still not get his due appreciation from this board. His impact on the game is so huge that you can lose quite some games without him. The Celtics game is a good example. He ABUSED KG! And ever since he comes off bench regularly Rockets started to play better. Chuck's defense is so aggressive that he creates a lot of turnovers for the opponent.

Did any of you catch the end of the last game, AB intentionally set up Chuck for consecutive post plays. Chuck's very strong, once he masters a little bit post move, he won't become the offense liability that he is. I hope he will continue to work on it.

If the cost of keeping Wafer is losing Chuck, no thanks. Chuck is such a unique player that you won't come across so often. SG/SF young talents are never in short in this league.

11. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

Well since he is only 23 yrs old maybe we can sign him to a 2-3 yrs, 2-2.5 million a season deal. I think that's reasonable and we'll also have his bird rights.

12. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

geez, all this cause he hit 1 three point in boston, and dribbled around some knick defenders?

13. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

If he keeps averaging 15 ppg as a starter, he'll get good offers from other teams.

Wafer is what this teams need. He can spot start when we need him too, and he can play off the bench.

And he hits big shots. And isnt afraid to take the big shot.

14. DaDakota

His price is going to be VERY high if he keeps playing like this.

DD

15. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

tracy mcgrady is worth 50 wafers right now

16. DaDakota

Wafer is just amazing, he is everything this team has needed, and he is only 23 years old....I hope like hades he stays....

He is quickly earning his way into a VERY big MLE type of deal.

DD

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Almost pure luck does play into this. But Morey can get credited here for another find. Even if Wafer bombs the rest of the season he's played up to his league minimum salary. And he kinda sorta gives back what you dealt away in Donte Greene.

A career high of 18 just wasnt gonna create buzz, need 20 point scoring outbursts. Doing that against the Lakers, replacing an All Star player, doing it against the premiere All Star on the premiere team (never mind the 4th quarter disappearance), that'll get buzz.

Morey should still lowball him :p but its nice to see prospects get a chance to play themselves on the team again.

18. DaDakota

Kobe could not stay in front of him.....Wafer is so fricken quick and athletic....

To me, he looks like a player that the light has gone on for and KNOWS he belongs now.

He was a McDonalds all american, he is no "hey-you".

DD

19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Wafer is gonna get paid from someone......

20. DaDakota

He is our Monta Ellis....

Wafer needs to start...even when Tmac comes back...move Tmac to the point...get R done.

DD