1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will trading Tmac help Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sanjaylucknow, Jan 9, 2008.

?

What would you trade Tmac for?

1. Hou-Memphis: Tmac+Synder for Gasol/Swift (expiring contract)

10 vote(s)
    8.5%
  2. Hou-Miami: Tmac+James+Synder for Miami’s #1 pick+ Haslem+expiring contracts of J. Williams+R. Davis

5 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. Hou-Chicago: Tmac+M. James+Synder for B.Wallace+ Noah+Gordon (or Chicago’s #1 pick)

16 vote(s)
    13.7%
  4. Hou-Toronto: Tmac+Novak+Landry for Calderon+Kapono+Nasterovich (expiring contract)+#1 pick

7 vote(s)
    6.0%
  5. Hold on to Tmac, he is our best bet

79 vote(s)
    67.5%
  1. Sanjaylucknow

Sanjaylucknow Contributing Member

As good as the team is playing right now, this team is not going to cut it, come play off time (if we make it). We need size and upgrade at PF. If we trade Tmac, no way we are going to get shooting guard of similar stature. Starting Head in April is not the right answer. We will need some size and upgrade at big guard. Similarly, as good as Alston is playing right now, he will be no match to the likes of Nash/Chris Paul/Deron Williams/Tony Parker/baron Davis. It is unlikely that we will be able to get a PG to match them, yet whatever upgrade we get will be helpful. That been said, I would like to retain all the rotation player and let them gel with the team and trade Tmac and non rotation players to get some help at various positions and or cap relief. Here are some potential trade ideas which will help the team not only this year but also in the time to come.

1) Hou-Memphis: Tmac+Synder for Gasol+Swift (expiring contract)

Twin towers of Yao+Gasol will be quite a match up problem for everyone. Swift’s expiring contract + Mike James could be traded to get upgrades at ½ positions.

2) Hou-Miami: Tmac+Mike James+Synder for Miami’s unprotected I round pick+Udonis Haslem+expiring contracts of Jason Williams+Ricky Davis

Haslem is no match to Gasol but a significant upgrade on Hayes. The trade also gives us huge cap relief, which could be used to upgrade 1/2. Miami’s pick will be cool.

3) Hou-Chicago: Tmac+Mike James+Synder for Ben Wallace+Joakim Noah+Ben Gordon (or Chicago’s unprotected I rounder)

This may look that exciting initially, as many believe that Wallace is washed up. But the guy still gets you 9 boards in limited playing time and plays tough defense. His defensive presence will keep Yao fresh to work on the other end. Moreover his contract was front loaded, so it will decrease with time. Noah has plenty of upside and can be groomed to replace Mutombo after the season. Ben Gordon will give us an athletic guard (albeit an undersized). Alternatively, we can acquire Chicago’s pick to draft a young guard or trade the potential lotto pick to get a guard who can help us right way.

4) Hou-Toronto: Tmac+Steve Novak+Chris Landry for Jose Calderon+Jason Kapono+Rasho Nasterovich (expiring contract)+Ist round pick

Calderon is perhaps the only quality young PG that we can acquire. He is a nice floor general and a tremendous shooter. Kapono led the league in 3 point shooting last year and will complement our big Guys. Nasterovich’s contract (8 million) will help us to get a good PF.

5) Hold on to Tmac, he is our best bet

Your thoughts---.

2. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Tmac, Fancy, Principal Snyder for Cat, Brand, and Livingston.

3. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

If we can get Gasol, I'd seriously consider. Gasol + Yao on the front line means zero penetration AND inside domination. It will be so amazing!

4. what

what Member

I don't think you can get caldron simply because toronto doesn't have the depth at pg anymore.

I am a grizzlies fan and I wouldn't trade gasol for tmac.

The only plausible trade i see is the miami trade, though they would probably sub blounts contract in place of ricky davis's.

5. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

Lol are you kidding or what but come on no more trading tmac threads

6. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

None of the options in the poll bring back equal value. I voted to keep him.

Let TMac get in the flow of the offense. Once he does, it will be beautiful.

7. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Getting gasol would be good, but how will that work out under Adalmen? He never had a low post presence on his teams, how would eh deal with two? If we were to trade T-mac it would definitely be for a Brandon Roy type player.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bibby and Artest.....

9. cmellon

cmellon Member

Skillwise T-Mac is superior to any option that we can realistically trade for. It seems that the problem with T-Mac is personality. He feels like he is above and beyond everyone else on the team (with Yao as an exception maybe). It seems that he'll get mad and playing with half effort and half heart when he thinks his teammates are not playing well (have you ever seen some bball games where T-Mac is mad at the other players?)

So I vote to keep T-Mac, but please T-Mac, learn how to be a good team player. A team player is not merely determined by assist. A team player is someone who can bring a positive chemistry and influence to the team.

10. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Well, I am a Rockets fan and I wouldn't trade T-Mac for Gasol.

Not only do you get the better player but the Rockets also lose their best perimeter player. The Rockets would no longer have an outside threat to complement Yao on the interior.

Any deal for McGrady has to at least include a good perimeter player.

11. BrooksBall

Gasol could actually do well under a coach like Adelman, in my opinion. He is a very good offensive-minded big man who passes the ball well and plays with a lot of energy. He has also shown that he can play effectively in an up-tempo system.

The reason I wouldn't do this trade is twofold.

First, I don't think he is the ideal complimentary frontcourt player for yao. Like Duncan/Nesterovic or Duncan/Oberto or Wallace/Wallace or Shaq/(fill in the blank), Yao ideally needs a defensive presence next to him or a role player that doesn't need to get too many touches. Notice how Yao plays best with Chuck Hayes. It's not because Chuck Hayes is so good but rather because Hayes isn't a big part of the offense and is willing to do all the small things.

Second, this proposed trade involves losing our best perimeter player. Getting only Gasol and Swift would leave Houston without an outside presence to compliment Yao's inside presence. Any deal for McGrady, at this point with this roster, needs to bring back at least one good perimeter player to replace him.

12. BrooksBall

It won't be that amazing my Pau-loving friend.

Pau is not the ideal player to compliment Yao. They are both used to being focal points on offense. There wouldn't be enough touches to go around for both of those guys. Gasol would be crying like Kirilenko has been in Utah halfway through his first season in Houston. We would have a similar problem as the Knicks are having with Curry and Randolph where they both can't seem to produce when they are on the court at the same time.

13. blender

blender Member

IIRC, when Yao went out with an injury last year and McGrady led the Mutombo-anchored team on an amazing run, it led to a lot of "Who Needs Yao? Not Us" and "Trade Yao for an Athletic Frontcourt Player" threads.

Anyway, I say no trade unless McGrady is insisting that he be shipped. I'm coming to agree with the posters who've been saying that it's near impossible to get equal value in return for McGrady.
    But more than that, if McGrady commits to this system, I think this can work in a big way.

14. Sextuple Double

I'll be blunt...

All those trade options are just plain stupid. Isiah Thomas and Kevin McHale won't even do that. This thread doesn't even deserve a star.

15. allforone

allforone Member

t-mac is worth the trust or not still remains unknown......and I dont believe any trade will have any immediate impact on this team.

Just keep improving the current roster and get the best out of them, stop all the utopia

16. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

wow, that could be the worst trade suggestions i've seen all day. :eek:

17. mag

mag Contributing Member

I want to trade TMac but all those suggested trades are one sided in favor of the other teams. Unless we find some team that is willing to give up a super start for a super star, then we have to keep TMac.

18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

tracy's not getting traded and all these stupid trades are really getting tiresome

19. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

yeah tmac's not getting traded plus the rockets are better on paper than all of those teams listed...miami and chicago both suck,so does the toronto and memphis trade

20. oneonepyopyo

oneonepyopyo Member

IMO, this is the best thread on the issue of trading T-mac.

A Big Fat If: That T-mac dmands a trade or GM would be going to make a trade. One of scenarios might be on the table.

Once for all, we would have to choose one and it was not something unlikely to be happening.